Dual Battery Mod

Jeez, what's the RTF weight, the motors must be screaming like a startled teenager?

Motors are pretty cool, even after a 25 min flight. But I'm not flying it in 85+degree's either. Not sure what the RTF weight is, the batteries are 221.7g each = 443.4. Add the two power wires (10g?), the two trays (20g?), the velcro (5g?), the zip ties (10g?) and you are looking at ~490g additional. Plus i'm running Xoar beach wood props at the moment, which are also about 4g heavier than stock. I like them with the externals cause they flex less, seem more stable, are quieter .. and I think easier on the motors.

Reactions: Alex Baxter
Regardless of exact weight, when I picked up my phantom with everything installed I was freaking out about how much heavier it was! I was convinced there was no way that weight would fly well or result in longer flight time. I was amazed to be wrong. I actually think it behaved more stabile and precise in the windy conditions I was flying in. And it was just as responsive too. But the weight- heavy!

Reactions: Digdat0
Here's a clip of what its like when the externals charge the stock, the stock fills up and turns off resulting in battery connection error. i can turn it right back on and all is good. if i'm in the air, the bird stays completely functional. i know i plugged it in at the wrong time in this case, but wanted to share what i see sometimes. I find that the sweet spot is after home point is recorded. and then like DB says, get that sucker in the air!

if i'm in the air, the bird stays completely functional.
It's happened in the air? Yikes, I don't like hearing that. Do you mean it happens when you first take off and then you land and reboot? Thanks for the video too.

got one new motor installed, re-calibrated IMU and ESC error is gone :) I did the power mod to the aircraft, ran two power leads. my soldering sucks .. but it works grrreeeatttt!

v4AdUfu.jpg

cMwqEky.jpg

and my new motor.

IOcRegd.jpg

Now for a test flight! :)

what is the benefit to doing this, over just modding a stock battery?

I wonder if it's a firmware thing? I haven't had it happen and I'm using the same batteries that were once modded and would do it all the time.

Well the next obvious question is.... ;)

I wonder if it's a firmware thing? I haven't had it happen and I'm using the same batteries that were once modded and would do it all the time.
Maybe ... I have 1.8 on the aircraft and batteries. What version you running?

I have too many different combinations to attempt to try and figure out. 1.4.0, 1.1.9, 1.1.30. And batteries are at god knows what firmwares.

Finally got a chance to fly my horizon V3 mod again. I have to say, it's mighty impressive. My goal is much more conservative than most. I'm looking for a solid 24 minutes of flight time. Anything more is cake, but 24 minutes for my needs is more than fine. I did that easily tonight and I was only at 24% battery at the time of landing, and that was recording during the entire flight too. That gives me confidence that I can film what I need to and bring it home without nail biting. Even more often I'll only need 18 minutes or so which is even more comfortable. It's actually pretty amazing to have half your battery (54% this flight) at 17 minutes into the flight. Remarkable, actually! I had no issue with the battery faulting and trying to charge. I connect the balance lead up to the dji battery (unnecessary but I do it anyway), start up the bird, get full sats and home point lock, hook up the 5200's and start props within 10 seconds. So far so good with that routine. I keep saying I'm gonna fly the mod all the time because it's so awesome, but when I don't need to I don't. If that saves any stress and wear and tear on the bird, cool. I'll need it though. Maybe even this weekend, which is why I'm running it now. All systems go!

Ordering some batteries now. Are there any larger props available? I guess I can just add lead weights to how how weight affects flight time and performance. Does anyone know what the "intelligent" part of the battery firmware does? DJI should sell extended flight modifcation.

Reactions: Damjo
Ordering some batteries now. Are there any larger props available? I guess I can just add lead weights to how how weight affects flight time and performance. Does anyone know what the "intelligent" part of the battery firmware does? DJI should sell extended flight modifcation.

Stick with the original 9450s! Some of us have tested some pretty heavy batteries, I'm sure you'll be sticking to the normal side of things, and you'll be fine

Finally got a chance to fly my horizon V3 mod again. I have to say, it's mighty impressive. My goal is much more conservative than most. I'm looking for a solid 24 minutes of flight time. Anything more is cake, but 24 minutes for my needs is more than fine. I did that easily tonight and I was only at 24% battery at the time of landing, and that was recording during the entire flight too. That gives me confidence that I can film what I need to and bring it home without nail biting. Even more often I'll only need 18 minutes or so which is even more comfortable. It's actually pretty amazing to have half your battery (54% this flight) at 17 minutes into the flight. Remarkable, actually! I had no issue with the battery faulting and trying to charge. I connect the balance lead up to the dji battery (unnecessary but I do it anyway), start up the bird, get full sats and home point lock, hook up the 5200's and start props within 10 seconds. So far so good with that routine. I keep saying I'm gonna fly the mod all the time because it's so awesome, but when I don't need to I don't. If that saves any stress and wear and tear on the bird, cool. I'll need it though. Maybe even this weekend, which is why I'm running it now. All systems go!
Is this the pack you're using?

Phantom 3 Power Mod V3 - Midwest Horizon FPV Antennas

HFPV 5200 split pack?

Looks good but why pay $120 for extra dji battery when multistar 5200 15.2v is $38

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Okay, so that video was super helpful for install. You have to crack open the case. for the extended video line, you need to remove the wires from this plug and add their cable:

upload_2016-7-31_10-2-13.png

For power, they have you solder the lines from the extra battery tray directly to the power line inside the aircraft.

upload_2016-7-31_10-4-22.png

Reactions: ray rokni

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WI.Drone pilot