Dual Battery Mod

You have to disconnect the white connector inside the battery. This connector has the balance leads that go to the battery.
View attachment 62266
Hi ED do you know how to wire the balance leads from a smart cap to a 4cell balance conector.this is what I want todo,thinking about useing to externals splitting the balance lead from Dji cap into Y conector then tx 60Y split from Dji cap.then I can use any side mounted lipo.this will indeed open up the possibility of running higher mah lipos.

Reactions: Digdat0
Hi ED do you know how to wire the balance leads from a smart cap to a 4cell balance conector.this is what I want todo,thinking about useing to externals splitting the balance lead from Dji cap into Y conector then tx 60Y split from Dji cap.then I can use any side mounted lipo.this will indeed open up the possibility of running higher mah lipos.

You have to solder to the pads on the top of the DJI battery. Here's 2 pics. The second one doesn't have the final wire soldered but you get the idea.
But having balance connectors connected to externals serves no purpose... It doesn't do anything beneficial to flying with externals.
JQPhzkt.jpg

gPHOv2f.jpg

Reactions: Digdat0
You have to solder to the pads on the top of the DJI battery. Here's 2 pics. The second one doesn't have the final wire soldered but you get the idea.
But having balance connectors connected to externals serves no purpose... It doesn't do anything beneficial to flying with externals.
JQPhzkt.jpg

gPHOv2f.jpg
Ok thank u but that's not what I am trying to do sorry I did not explain it well!

What I want todo is solder to the balance lead on the Dji cap.
i think i get ya, Silverwingflinx .. you want to turn the smart battery board into a plug--n-play setup for hooking in external batteries? basically, remove the board from the stock battery and wire up the smart board to be able to plugin any external. where the red/black lines come out of the board now (the ones, in ed's pic, which were snipped clean) and solder on an xt60 female. for the balance connector, i think you have two options. take the white plug on there now, find an adapter that will split, or cut those and put on ends and a proper fitting. should be straight forward, I think.

sounds interesting. i've an extra smart board, you guys have me thinking now :)

Reactions: Silverwingflinx
Lots of interesting work guys. Keep it up. One thought, you might want to consider the Vortex Ring State (Settling under power). As the weight goes up and/or the air gets thinner, the onset of VRS becomes more likely. Do some research as you proceed.
Cheers,
Joe
KC7GHT

i think i get ya, Silverwingflinx .. you want to turn the smart battery board into a plug--n-play setup for hooking in external batteries? basically, remove the board from the stock battery and wire up the smart board to be able to plugin any external. where the red/black lines come out of the board now (the ones, in ed's pic, which were snipped clean) and solder on an xt60 female. for the balance connector, i think you have two options. take the white plug on there now, find an adapter that will split, or cut those and put on ends and a proper fitting. should be straight forward, I think.

sounds interesting. i've an extra smart board, you guys have me thinking now :)
Yes bud you got it!! It would be like maxwells smart did but 2 lipos!!

Hey guys,

I recently discovered something interesting about fully charging DJI smart batteries that I wanted to share with everyone.

When you use the stock DJI charger, once the battery is fully charged all of the lights will shut off. If you power the battery back on while its still connected to the stock DJI charger, it will continue charging for a little more, but it is still not fully charged! Believe it or not, DJI chargers do not consistently put out the same exact voltage, they vary. I had 2 stock P3 100w DJI chargers and measured the DC voltage output of each one.

Charger #1 was 17.32v and charger #2 was 17.35v. After topping off a P3 battery using the 17.32v charger by powering the battery back on after it was fully charged, I thought... what if I take this battery and put it on the 17.35v charger and power it on? Will the extra voltage of the 17.35v charger allow the battery that was previously topped off on the 17.32v charger to charge a little more? The answer... YES!

I next measured the voltage of my 2 Inspire 1 chargers. Charger #1 was 26.04v and charger #2 was 26.13v. After fully topping off a TB48 battery on the 26.04v charger, I plugged in the 26.13v charger and powered the battery on, again it began charging!

So then I thought, what if I can find a charger that outputs a higher voltage than the 17.35v of my strongest P3 100w charger? Will the battery top off even more? Yes it will!

Using my Imax B6AC v2 lipo battery charger and a banana plug to DJI P3 battery charger adapter, I set my charger to LIHV 4S and measured the output voltage while it was charging... 17.49v!

Guess what? After powering the P3 battery on that was previously topped off on the 17.35v charger, it started charging even more. After the battery shut off I popped the battery into my P3P and fired up the DJI Go app. The battery showed 100% and the cells were all at 4.34v each!

Using a charger that is as close to 17.5v as possible will allow you to FULLY charge a DJI smart battery, and it might even eliminate the external LIHV batteries from charging the under charged DJI smart battery that the stock 100w charger cannot fully top off.

Hope this information helps!

Hey guys,

I recently discovered something interesting about fully charging DJI smart batteries that I wanted to share with everyone.

When you use the stock DJI charger, once the battery is fully charged all of the lights will shut off. If you power the battery back on while its still connected to the stock DJI charger, it will continue charging for a little more, but it is still not fully charged! Believe it or not, DJI chargers do not consistently put out the same exact voltage, they vary. I had 2 stock P3 100w DJI chargers and measured the DC voltage output of each one.

Charger #1 was 17.32v and charger #2 was 17.35v. After topping off a P3 battery using the 17.32v charger by powering the battery back on after it was fully charged, I thought... what if I take this battery and put it on the 17.35v charger and power it on? Will the extra voltage of the 17.35v charger allow the battery that was previously topped off on the 17.32v charger to charge a little more? The answer... YES!

I next measured the voltage of my 2 Inspire 1 chargers. Charger #1 was 26.04v and charger #2 was 26.13v. After fully topping off a TB48 battery on the 26.04v charger, I plugged in the 26.13v charger and powered the battery on, again it began charging!

So then I thought, what if I can find a charger that outputs a higher voltage than the 17.35v of my strongest P3 100w charger? Will the battery top off even more? Yes it will!

Using my Imax B6AC v2 lipo battery charger and a banana plug to DJI P3 battery charger adapter, I set my charger to LIHV 4S and measured the output voltage while it was charging... 17.49v!

Guess what? After powering the P3 battery on that was previously topped off on the 17.35v charger, it started charging even more. After the battery shut off I popped the battery into my P3P and fired up the DJI Go app. The battery showed 100% and the cells were all at 4.34v each!

Using a charger that is as close to 17.5v as possible will allow you to FULLY charge a DJI smart battery, and it might even eliminate the external LIHV batteries from charging the under charged DJI smart battery that the stock 100w charger cannot fully top off.

Yes this is good news I can't seem to charge my batts up to 4.35 V!! I have 3 chargers + the venom 4 battery bay charger I always do a force charge ( or top up charge ) but still only 4.27//28 charge!! Thax for the info!

Tony, have you found a way to top off p4 batteries??

Hey guys,

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Yes this is good news I can't seem to charge my batts up to 4.35 V!! I have 3 chargers + the venom 4 battery bay charger I always do a force charge ( or top up charge ) but still only 4.27//28 charge!! Thax for the info!

This exactly what happened to me! I would top off a battery and see 98% @ 4.27v/4.28v per cell in the DJI Go app and thought "this isn't right"
Tony, have you found a way to top off p4 batteries??

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Ray, I tried this test on my P4 batteries but they do not seem to top off like the P3/Inspire batteries do after you power them back on after fully charging them. My 2 P4 stock chargers both output 17.34v. Once someone makes a banana plug to P4 battery adapter I will try to top them off using my lipo charger that outputs 17.49v

Yes bud you got it!! It would be like maxwells smart did but 2 lipos!!
so I went back to maxwells video and pulled this screen shot. You can see he basically did what you said, but hard wired them instead of with connectors. His flight was pretty impressive, I think if the wiring is done right it could work well with the quick connectors.

pMWoeQv.jpg

Hey guys,

Interesting. I will have to give it a shot with my charger. I have made this up a while ago for reviving dead DJI batteries and charging with my SkyRC D100.

Also, you want to charge in Pb mode not LiHV or LiPo or anything else. All the DJI battery needs is a power supply. So set to 17.5v 5.7A (same as DJI 100w charger) and the "intelligent" board inside the battery will handle the rest.

mzbzInN.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Silverwingflinx
so I went back to maxwells video and pulled this screen shot. You can see he basically did what you said, but hard wired them instead of with connectors. His flight was pretty impressive, I think if the wiring is done right it could work well with the quick connectors.

pMWoeQv.jpg
Yea the plug on the DJI board, is wired the same as the multistar. What I mean is if you have both plugs laying on the table with the same sides facing up, the wires will be in the same order. Just find the ground wire on the multi ,I think it is the black one. It will be on the end. Then find the ground on the DJI plug, it will be on the end. Then wire it in and do the other 3 wires in order from there.

Interesting. I will have to give it a shot with my charger. I have made this up a while ago for reviving dead DJI batteries and charging with my SkyRC D100.

Also, you want to charge in Pb mode not LiHV or LiPo or anything else. All the DJI battery needs is a power supply. So set to 15.7v 5.7A (same as DJI 100w charger) and the "intelligent" board inside the battery will handle the rest.

mzbzInN.jpg

You mean 17.5v :)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT