Dual Battery Mod

Personally the best battery mod will be to use the Dji battery making 2x2s batteries out of the one Dji battery.as larsR is doing yes mind testing is yet to come but the weight of battery and the high quality of Dji lipos I think this will be a good combination.often thought about it but how do you mount an extra Dji battery just no room.i have seen a guy do this with his inspire.useing 2 batteries.this way it's all the same no extra lipos chargers all the hassle.to me simple things are sometimes the best things that work ...

Attachments

• 1454527326429.jpg
    1454527326429.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 466
EDIT: Some good knowledge HERE.

OK so ordered the smart battery mod from FPV along with this charger:
Skyrc AC/DC D100 Dual Balance Charger/Discharger for 1-6 Cell LiPo/LiFe/Lilon/LiHV Battery,1-15 Cell NiMH/NiCd Battery

I'm educating myself more on LiPo/LiHV tech and also how varying battery configurations perform. Can anyone answer some simple questions for me? Or point me to any resources where I can read more?

1. For example's sake, the Nanotech 1.6's that come with the kit are rated at 14.8v whereas the OEM DJI battery is 15.2v. So how does this play when wired with the OEM DJI battery? Do they just kind of balance each other out? Or does the DJI battery charge the extra bats a little? Or does it not even matter because you will burn that voltage difference off quickly after takeoff? Does having varying voltages in a 3 battery setup do anything? Or is it the same as having varying voltages between cells in a single battery pack? Is it required to match the amount of cells for all batteries that are used together? Example: DJI battery is 4 cell and so is the nano-tech 1600.
  2. I see that some are experimenting with splitting up the 4s to 2x2s in series and then connecting them in parallel to the XT60s on the modded DJI battery. Isn't that just six in one half dozen in the other?

DJI INTELLIGENT FLIGHT BATTERY
    Capacity 4480 mAh
    Voltage 15.2 V
    Battery Type LiPo 4S
    Energy 68 Wh
    Net Weight 365 g
    Max Flight Time Approximately 23 minutes
    Operating Temperature -10°C to 40°C
    Max Charging Power 100 W

Turnigy Nano-tech 1600
    Capacity
    : 1600mAh
    Voltage: 4S1P / 4 Cell / 14.8V
    Discharge: 25C Constant / 50C Burst
    Weight: 172g(including wire, plug & case)
    Dimensions: 104x34x23mm
    Balance Plug: JST-XH
    Discharge Plug: XT60
  3. How does the C rating in the extra batteries effect the overall performance of the system? Is having more useless after a certain point?
  4. Does using LiHV pose any dangers or cause harm to the DJI battery? I've read that LiHV is closer to the OEM battery as compared to LiPo, is that true? Why?
  5. Any tips so I don't blow my face off, burn down the house or have a Concorde like disaster with my P3? Any golden rules when connecting and trying out different types of batteries? I'll be reading up as much as possible but I haven't found a thread that explains the intricacies of batteries on a modded P3.
Thanks guys and looking forward to tinkering and pushing even further.

Last edited:
Reactions: Silverwingflinx
Here is mine with 2 1800mah lipos. I replaced the shell last night and this gave me an excuse to just to it already. I soldered leads to the mainboard to an xt60 parallel conector. Also added a rpsma to ufl to replace the stock 2.4ghz antenna in the right leg using a circular polarized antenna in its place. First off it flies like the extra batteries are not even there. In face when I full throttled straight up it took off so fast I thought I goofed and wired it in series by mistake :) Brought it back down due to heavy wind. But yeah it flies awesome. I will get a duration flight tonight and see what happens.

Attachments

• 20160203_153110_resized.jpg
    20160203_153110_resized.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 590
  • 20160203_134714_resized.jpg
    20160203_134714_resized.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 543
Yes I seen this it's a good idea but how much more weight is that contraption 100 gram 150 dead weight I say...

OK so ordered the smart battery mod from FPV along with this charger:
Skyrc AC/DC D100 Dual Balance Charger/Discharger for 1-6 Cell LiPo/LiFe/Lilon/LiHV Battery,1-15 Cell NiMH/NiCd Battery

I'm educating myself more on LiPo/LiHV tech and also how varying battery configurations perform. Can anyone answer some simple questions for me? Or point me to any resources where I can read more?

1. For example's sake, the Nanotech 1.6's that come with the kit are rated at 14.8v whereas the OEM DJI battery is 15.2v. So how does this play when wired with the OEM DJI battery? Do they just kind of balance each other out? Or does the DJI battery charge the extra bats a little? Or does it not even matter because you will burn that voltage difference off quickly after takeoff? Does having varying voltages in a 3 battery setup do anything? Or is it the same as having varying voltages between cells in a single battery pack? Is it required to match the amount of cells for all batteries that are used together? Example: DJI battery is 4 cell and so is the nano-tech 1600.​
  2. I see that some are experimenting with splitting up the 4s to 2x2s in series and then connecting them in parallel to the XT60s on the modded DJI battery. Isn't that just six in one half dozen in the other?

DJI INTELLIGENT FLIGHT BATTERY
    Capacity 4480 mAh
    Voltage 15.2 V
    Battery Type LiPo 4S
    Energy 68 Wh
    Net Weight 365 g
    Max Flight Time Approximately 23 minutes
    Operating Temperature -10°C to 40°C
    Max Charging Power 100 W

Turnigy Nano-tech 1600
    Capacity
    : 1600mAh
    Voltage: 4S1P / 4 Cell / 14.8V
    Discharge: 25C Constant / 50C Burst
    Weight: 172g(including wire, plug & case)
    Dimensions: 104x34x23mm
    Balance Plug: JST-XH
    Discharge Plug: XT60
  3. How does the C rating in the extra batteries effect the overall performance of the system? Is having more useless after a certain point?
  4. Does using LiHV pose any dangers or cause harm to the DJI battery? I've read that LiHV is closer to the OEM battery as compared to LiPo, is that true? Why?
  5. Any tips so I don't blow my face off, burn down the house or have a Concorde like disaster with my P3? Any golden rules when connecting and trying out different types of batteries? I'll be reading up as much as possible but I haven't found a thread that explains the intricacies of batteries on a modded P3.
Thanks guys and looking forward to tinkering and pushing even further.
Hey nice I too have the same charger but my lipos g6 2 have puffed been replaced then the other 2 are just starting very little puffing.i now have the 2400 g6 but have not charged them yet.dont know why this is happening.i have nanotechs 1800/1600 no problems.keep intouch let me know how ur doing thax

Hey nice I too have the same charger but my lipos g6 2 have puffed been replaced then the other 2 are just starting very little puffing.i now have the 2400 g6 but have not charged them yet.dont know why this is happening.i have nanotechs 1800/1600 no problems.keep intouch let me know how ur doing thax

I read about your issue. I will see what happens with mine when it arrives. It seems like a good charger, capable of LiHV capable charger and has good reviews. If I start having problems I'll return it and get something else. Sounds like it's something with the G6's. I will update the thread with my results as well once I get some testing done.

Hey Nelson, any idea which antenna you modded, control or video? Any pics showing where you connected pigtails? Hey Silverwing, are you charging the bats too fast or letting them sit for days w/ full charge?

Hey Nelson, any idea which antenna you modded, control or video? Any pics showing where you connected pigtails? Hey Silverwing, are you charging the bats too fast or letting them sit for days w/ full charge?

The rpsma to ufl connects to the light bridge where the visual positioning system is. There are 4 antenna connections there. It completely replaces the stock cable and the one I had was much thicker than the stock making it difficult to install however I now can try an assortment of antennas. I am getting out five miles flying inside with 9dbi outdoor wifi antennas on the roof of my home with 5 watt boosters on the 2.4 and 3 watt on 5.8. I will say that I haven't noticed much improvement with new antennas on the bird side tho. 5 miles was with stock antennas. They are plenty good. Now my p3 can keep paces with my Matrice 100. Whats the best batteries and size mah rating everyone is using for this mod so far?

Reactions: Ed209
I got 6.5 one way with the nano 1600's turned around at 48% landed at 4%

How are you still flying at 4%?

What do you mean? It still has 4 percent actually more the smart battery may report less but there is actually more than that leaving a reserve when flown to low percentages as reported by the app. You can leave your pahantom on till it dies and the battery will power off with risk of over discharge.

What do you mean? It still has 4 percent actually more the smart battery may report less but there is actually more than that leaving a reserve when flown to low percentages as reported by the app. You can leave your pahantom on till it dies and the battery will power off with risk of over discharge.

Ah ok that's was thinking. So do you override the auto land at 10%?

Ah ok that's was thinking. So do you override the auto land at 10%?
When i'm running distance, on the return trip i'm usually still a mile away when it starts autolanding. So you make sure your 300+ feet in the air so it will decend automatically as you sail home the last couple thou!

Also it seems with the lipo bat mod you have even a little extra in the tank at 0%. With my p2 i've flown for the last 2000' on 0% & it could only think its with help from the (2) lipos that still have a little juice

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Helen Y West