Does anyone try a range test for your new p4p? I did but totally disappointed><"

Whats interesting is the P4P seems to loose signal a lot faster than the Mavic. Mavic slowly drops bars whereas the P4P dives quickly. Also odd is the 32 channels available in 5.8mhz??? Only 7 or so in 2.4. I did the channels hack on the P3 awhile back and it opened up all 32 channels on 2.4. its odd how DJI got permission for 32 5.8 channels but not 2.4. Anyway, at this point I don't think its any worse than the P4 but the signal protection is still better on the occusync. The occusync as someone stated, does indeed filter out the noise a bit better in highly concentrated wifi areas. I just think DJI needs to unstuff the big elephant and explain whats going on here. Why would DJI come up with, develop, a unique transmission system for just one quad??? And what about the goggles? Wouldn't the Phantom/ inspire series fliers want the same wireless goggles?? Very odd.
But I see a lot that people use 5.8GHz (almost all vídeos that i've seen here) and my P3A besides the excelent range, works at 2.4GHz.

Maybe if any can make two test in the same field, one with 2.4GHz and another with 5.8GHz, with LOS, we can make a best conclusion.

We know that 5.8GHz is not made to reach more distance, it's only useful in terrains with a lot of 2.4GHz interference, but at short distance!

Enviado desde mi Nexus 6P mediante Tapatalk

Reactions: J.T.
Yeah, and we can deduct 25% off of the published top speed of 22mph when flying with OA enabled too! Mine struggles to reach 17mph in calm conditions. We know the P4 can fly 22mph easily, because it can do 42mph, easily. So why can't it simply go 22mph with OA enabled, like when when I enable RTH? With OA enabled the craft flies exactly 22mph when I eable RTH to go home, and it attains 22mph pretty quick. But when flying in P mode with OA enabled it takes FOREVER to reach 17mph, much less 22mph. I don't understand this limitation flaw. 25% off.
In test flying with OA enabled, My P4pro is zipping along at 31mph.
Not a big surprise as that's what DJI's - right up there with the published specs
Yeah, and we can deduct 25% off of the published top speed of 22mph when flying with OA enabled too! Mine struggles to reach 17mph in calm conditions. We know the P4 can fly 22mph easily, because it can do 42mph, easily. So why can't it simply go 22mph with OA enabled, like when when I enable RTH? With OA enabled the craft flies exactly 22mph when I eable RTH to go home, and it attains 22mph pretty quick. But when flying in P mode with OA enabled it takes FOREVER to reach 17mph, much less 22mph. I don't understand this limitation flaw. 25% off.

At this rate DJI should be advertising 52mph sport mode speeds for P4P because 25% less is 42mph, what it can really do, easily.

Ya gotta love the DJI marketing folks. I wonder if they throw darts at a board to get these numbers.
Not a big surprise as that's what DJI's published specs indicated.

Not a big surprise as that's what DJI's - right up there with the published specs

Not a big surprise as that's what DJI's published specs indicated.
My P4 goes 22mph with OA enabled.

The P4P, with its listed over 4 mile range sounded too good to be true. Now, I'm hearing it is generally worse than the P4? Really sad to hear.

The longest flight out I've ever done with my P4 was 26,243'(roundtrip of 52,625') with another flight that night of 26,106'(roundtrip of 52,318'). That was done on the night of the super moon, recently. Others have gone farther than me with a stock P4. I used to use Tap2Fly for my long distance runs but the 22 mph limited my distance. I then began using Sport Mode with an average of 30 mph to get my distance.

When I did those long distance flights, they were over relatively flat desert at a little over 4,000' in elevation with no detected winds. I can't remember exactly now but I only started getting connection problems near the farthest distance so the battery was my ultimate limiting factor. Both flights, I was below 10% upon return.

Oh, and I just did a Litchi mission over 4 miles out with a roundtrip of about 8.4 miles. Of course, that wasn't limited by the RC, but again, I got back with way below 10% battery. If the price is right, I will get me a P4P battery or two and really see how far I can go with just windsurfers and a 32 channel hack.

Also, when I fly in my neighborhood, I get right at a mile before I lose complete connection where RTH is automatically triggered. I have no idea what the interference is that is like a wall to my drone.

Reactions: morph1
There just no consistent pattern of happiness from former P3P owners when flying P4P yet. Many reports offer no detail about environment, or their experience, what settings they use, etc. Some people fly auto channel, some prefer custom channel and 4mbps settings to maximize range, like me. That detail is left out, and these settings do effect range.

I'd love buy P4P with the new camera, I want the camera..... but not unless I can go 2 to 3mi, reliably. Yes, I do realize RF interference can hinder this, I'm referring to relatively quiet areas I always fly, for a fair comparison.

I really don't want to go down the boosted route to get the same distances that past Phantom's have provided. I don't think I'm expecting a lot. .

Thanks for your thoughts John, i've been watching your posts over the last week and decided to not upgrade to the P4P. I really want that camera, and that screen, but the range is really holding me back (coming from a P3P that outperforms my friends P4).

I think i'm going to wait 6/12/18 months for the next big release from DJI, be it the Phantom 5 or the Mavic 2. The mavic with it's perhaps superior OcuSync transmission system combined with it's small form factor AND the camera found on the P4P would be amazing for those who are frequent travellers.

Reactions: Zzz and Got Aerial
Why does everyone (or maybe rather a few people in particular) focus on the few reports we've had of short range and ignore the reports we've had of good range? Clearly we really just don't know yet whether the low range reports are related to problems with a specific unit, test technique, etc. If there was an actual problem endemic to all P4P then there wouldn't exist the several reports of people reaching 3+ miles that we've seen so it's perhaps a little premature to bleat endlessly about 'the range problem.'

Reactions: dtviewer
Reactions: Big Al KY
To be fair, he achieved that distance by flying at 1049' above his launch point, instead of no more than 400'.
At 2.4 or 5.8 Ghz you are going to have to maintain line of sight in order to achieve maximum range, whatever altitude that requires (and of course if you can't achieve that altitude due to regulatory reasons then you're not going to get maximum range no matter what you're flying.) At those frequencies once you start adding obstacles between the transmitter and receiver you're going to see so much variability that anecdotal range reports will mean very little.

I don't think I'm alone on this bug. It's something that a few others have mentioned when asked. I hope I am alone, but I think most people do the same thing I've done, rarely use OA and just accept the slow speed. I started calling my P4 OA mode "Tripod Mode", because it's useful for that purpose, and only that purpose.

I have started another thread about this for P4P, asking if it actually does 32mph with OA enabled. Maybe someone has confirm this enhancement.
It's supposed to, but no P4P to test, yet...:rolleyes:

At 2.4 or 5.8 Ghz you are going to have to maintain line of sight in order to achieve maximum range, whatever altitude that requires (and of course if you can't achieve that altitude due to regulatory reasons then you're not going to get maximum range no matter what you're flying.) At those frequencies once you start adding obstacles between the transmitter and receiver you're going to see so much variability that anecdotal range reports will mean very little.
Indeed, but the OP was bragging about his European range while wondering why some U.S. owners are complaining about theirs, but he is flying 2-3 times higher than U.S. "limits"...

My P4P w/ OA enabled gets around 29-30mph consistently.
I'm glad to hear that, it's one of the reasons I chose to upgrade to a P4P. Was supposed to get here today, but UPS has "delays" as usual. :/

Edit: it arrived today after all!! Woo!

Last edited:
I only get 1200 feet or so distance with my p4 before I lose picture and or lose control. Fortunately the RTH works good. I see a range extender for sale. It looks like a foil that goes over the controller antennas. Has anyone ever used the extender? Any other ideas?
Totally disappointed with the range.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I've been doing some testing of an RTH issue and have made many routine flights out to a mile or more (P4P+) and have never seen less than full signal bars and zero video breakup. That's not much of a test and I haven't gone any further because where I am right now I must maintain a low altitude due to airport proximity, but FWIW a mile or so has always been rock-solid. I think only 1200' must be indicative of some sort of problem with the individual unit.

I've been doing some testing of an RTH issue and have made many routine flights out to a mile or more (P4P+) and have never seen less than full signal bars and zero video breakup. That's not much of a test and I haven't gone any further because where I am right now I must maintain a low altitude due to airport proximity, but FWIW a mile or so has always been rock-solid. I think only 1200' must be indicative of some sort of problem with the individual unit.

Agree

It's impossible achieve only 1200'. If you have line of sight, 2.4GHz, and the antennas pointed correctly, there's a problem in the unit...

Enviado desde mi Nexus 6P mediante Tapatalk

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl