Does anyone try a range test for your new p4p? I did but totally disappointed><"

To be fair, he achieved that distance by flying at 1049' above his launch point, instead of no more than 400'. :cool:
I'm not sure what the fuss is about his height.
If you only fly to 200 feet altitude, you would have to fly out 17 miles before losing line of sight under the horizon.
Does going to 1000 ft give you better range than 2-300 feet?
If so, what would be the principle behind it?

I really don't care. I already ordered a p4p long before you popped up in here, and I do not typically do long range flights, or fly over 400 ft.
I'm so glad you really don't care, and have so much time on your hands to waste on things you really don't care about. Makes me wonder about what you do really care about. :rolleyes: Enjoy your P4P. :cool:

I'm not sure what the fuss is about his height.
If you only fly to 200 feet altitude, you would have to fly out 17 miles before losing line of sight under the horizon.
Does going to 1000 ft give you better range than 2-300 feet?
If so, what would be the principle behind it?
Only that at 1000 feet above his Home Point, the extended range is not useful for photography, unless he is climbing up mountains. The current capability set by my P4 with mods is 3-5 miles at 50 feet AGL with clear LOS. Quite useful! I hope the P4P is comparable, as then the P4 will sit on the shelf. As to your last question, long distance flyers setting records will tell you that the farther away you fly, the more elevation you will require, all else being equal, at distances far shorter than 17 miles. However, 400 feet is usually plenty high enough at the farthest point, not 1000 feet. I have no reason to assume that the P4P is not just as capable as the P4, when it comes to range, especially since DJI claims it is better. I hope it is at least as good.

For me it's not so much a matter of not caring, rather I just don't see the utility of ranges much beyond 3 miles or so since the current state of battery technology means that considering the time required to get out there and back you have practically no time to do anything else. And longer LOS range doesn't necessarily translate into better close-in reliability, if 2.4 or 5.8 GHz signals are blocked the fade margin is so deep that you're going to have problems with any stock unit and a test of whether it can manage 2.8 or 3.7 miles or whatever LOS isn't going to mean much if signals are being physically blocked by an obstruction. So I guess that's why many wonder what the utter fascination seems to be with the range figure (and that's totally ignoring the illegality of flying out of sight, but I don't want to start that debate up again.)

For me it's not so much a matter of not caring, but I just don't see the utility of ranges much beyond 3 miles or so since the current state of battery technology means that considering the time required to get out there and back you have practically no time to do anything else. And longer LOS range doesn't necessarily translate into better close-in reliability, if 2.4 or 5.8 GHz signals are blocked the fade margin is so deep that you're going to have problems with any stock unit and a test of whether it can manage 2.8 or 3.7 miles or whatever LOS isn't going to mean much if signals are being physically blocked by an obstruction. So I guess that;s why many wonder what the utter fascination seems to be with the range figure (and that's totally ignoring the illegality of flying out of sight, but I don't want to start that debate up again.)
Agreed on most counts. However, all else being equal, the better the signal at long range, the better stability close in. Some of us need the promised range to get to our subjects, and aftermarket battery mods have been a part of every Phantom made, as well as the new Mavic Pro. One is already available for the P4P. The battery mods are necessary only to achieve the advertised flight times under P mode flying. With the advertised flying times, and a 30mph average speed, 12 mile flights are very doable within a 4-5 mile range. The P4 with a boosted DBS-02 panel can easily reach 6 miles. As long as the P4P can keep up with the P4, with similar mods, it will completely replace the P4. :cool:

Last edited:
I'm so glad you really don't care, and have so much time on your hands to waste on things you really don't care about. Makes me wonder about what you do really care about. :rolleyes: Enjoy your P4P. :cool:

I don't care about your thoughts. Sorry for the confusion.

I did another quick(or actually slow) distance run today in P mode at 18 mph. I wasn't looking for any records, and I was just really passing time. I went out over 18k', which is where the connection problems start. I could easily have done another 1,000' if I wanted to since it is intermittent.

If I had a P4P, I'd be majorly POed if I couldn't slam that each time, especially since P mode is 30 mph(about best speed for max distance) as opposed to 18 for the P4, it has a larger battery, and because of its listed range being over a mile better than the P4.

Arguing about need is not going to get y'all anywhere. Personal preference goes a long way, especially since it is a hobby.

I did another quick(or actually slow) distance run today in P mode at 18 mph. I wasn't looking for any records, and I was just really passing time. I went out over 18k', which is where the connection problems start. I could easily have done another 1,000' if I wanted to since it is intermittent.
Sorry, I'm losing track of all this. Which model are you talking about above?

Sorry, I'm losing track of all this. Which model are you talking about above?
The Phantom 4. My problem with the DJI Phantom series is that the gosh darned airframe is too flimsy. I like to keep my Phantom as close to new condition as possible, and even so, I got a crack on the front lower arm I just discovered last night. I always list "a more robust airframe" as one of the things DJI should do in future generations of Phantoms. Most of us on this board probably didn't know a P4P was being released, but since it is the exact same form factor as the P4, there was no hope of that "more robust airframe" when it was released.

My rant above is because I really like to upgrade my toys, and my wife is even onboard with getting me a P4P, but I just can't push the button due to the flimsy plastic airframe. The other reason is reading here in this thread that it can't reach out regularly to even close to its listed distance. I want a robust Phantom that can reach out when I want it to, and I want good signal strength closer in while flying in areas with high interference. Is that too hard to engineer?

The Phantom 4. My problem with the DJI Phantom series is that the gosh darned airframe is too flimsy. I like to keep my Phantom as close to new condition as possible, and even so, I got a crack on the front lower arm I just discovered last night. I always list "a more robust airframe" as one of the things DJI should do in future generations of Phantoms. Most of us on this board probably didn't know a P4P was being released, but since it is the exact same form factor as the P4, there was no hope of that "more robust airframe" when it was released.

My rant above is because I really like to upgrade my toys, and my wife is even onboard with getting me a P4P, but I just can't push the button due to the flimsy plastic airframe. The other reason is reading here in this thread that it can't reach out regularly to even close to its listed distance. I want a robust Phantom that can reach out when I want it to, and I want good signal strength closer in while flying in areas with high interference. Is that too hard to engineer?
My stress cracks are always on the rear, and never on the front. However, with the external batteries requred to achieve the advertised flight times, that should not be a surprise. I am hopeful that the P4P is as good as the P4 with a better camera. :cool:

My stress cracks are always on the rear, and never on the front. However, with the external batteries requred to achieve the advertised flight times, that should not be a surprise. I am hopeful that the P4P is as good as the P4 with a better camera. :cool:
I am betting that if I flew a P4P where I do my distance runs, I'd get better than what I'm seeing in this thread. I am betting it is a combination of inexperience in LD flying, fear of flying LD due to various factors, not having a suitable LD flight area and whatever else.

The better camera, alone, isn't enough for me to want to upgrade since I'm happy with my P4's video and image performance. Strong signal in all LOS flying should be strong at most times, even in relatively high interference areas.

I am betting that if I flew a P4P where I do my distance runs, I'd get better than what I'm seeing in this thread. I am betting it is a combination of inexperience in LD flying, fear of flying LD due to various factors, not having a suitable LD flight area and whatever else.

The better camera, alone, isn't enough for me to want to upgrade since I'm happy with my P4's video and image performance. Strong signal in all LOS flying should be strong at most times, even in relatively high interference areas.
Agreed on all accounts! However, I wouldn't mind the upgrade in ISO, the increase in Dynamic Range and the higher bitrate on 4K. That's what I am hoping for!

In test flying with OA enabled, My P4pro is zipping along at 31mph.
Not a big surprise as that's what DJI's - right up there with the published specs

In test flying with OA enabled, My P4pro is zipping along at 31mph.
Not a big surprise as that's what DJI's published specs indicated.
Thanks Meta, I saw another guy average 29mph with OA enabled, which is great. It appears the P4P spec with OA is more accurate. BTW, does your P4 do more than 20mph with OA enabled? Just curious, because I've own two P4's and both won't break 17mph, and most the time it's 15 or 16. I'm wondering if there's a setting in GO that I'm missing. I've experimented with every setting I can find, but no joy.

I only get 1200 feet or so distance with my p4 before I lose picture and or lose control. Fortunately the RTH works good. I see a range extender for sale. It looks like a foil that goes over the controller antennas. Has anyone ever used the extender? Any other ideas?
Totally disappointed with the range.
Are you in Europe using the lower power transmitter? If not, try clicking the HD icon in GO and select a custom channel that has low traffic. Generally speaking ch 22 is good in most places. After that's done, on the same screen, slide the "Transmission Quality" level down to 4mbps. See how that works for you.

And yes, Windsurfers do help, but you MUST point the parabolic disk at the drone.

Reactions: pricey4907
Regarding the effect of altitude on the strength of the transmission signal, this is just speculation, using what seems to me to be sound logic, but it might not be. I welcome being shown where I'm wrong if I'm mistaken.
The conclusion of my self-supposedly-logical thinking is that altitude does increase signal strength, and here are the steps by which I came up with that speculative conclusion:
1. Since a lesser amount of signal still gets through even when a solid barrier exists between the aircraft and the remote control, some of the radio frequency signals are transmitted by indirect, non-linear paths, bouncing off of other objects.
2. The more altitude the aircraft has, the more of these indirect signals are available to the receivers on the remote control and on the aircraft.
3. The maximum amount of signal is when the aircraft is directly above the remote control.
Edit: (3a. Hmmm... except that if the antenna is straight up, it's parallel to the legs of the aircraft but it's not "facing" the aircraft... I didn't think of that... might shoot the whole theory.)
4. The greater the number of degrees above the horizon that the aircraft is, the more available signal there is.
5. The greater the altitude of the aircraft, the greater the number of degrees it is above the horizon.
Edit: (5a. I'm amending the theory, due to 3a, to say that 45 degrees above the horizon is optimal... where altitude and distance are equal.)
---------------------------------------------------------------------
In other news, I've flown my P4P enough now to have reached the evidence-based conclusion that it has significantly greater range than any of the Phantoms I've flown previously from my tree-surrounded location, including P2V, P2VP, and P3P. The range I get with the P4P is 50-60% further than I ever got with my P3P, which has the second-greatest amount of range.

Last edited:
You're lucky, mine has never broke 17 in calm condition with OA enabled, and most the time it maxes out at 15mph. However if I enable RTH, it does exactly 22mph. RTH is the only way I can get it to do 22mph with OA enabled.
That's crazy, such a huge difference between two P4s. What altitude above sea level are you?

On another note my p4p goes 30mph with OA.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jumperswaves