DJI Goggles arrived but wont activate on P4 - Activated now by using a Mavic

Yes you are right , I dont have the HDMI module installed on my P4 controller as I have not had the need to have it (until now)

Another thing I noticed when using the Goggles on the P4 is that any flights used while using the Goggles dont add to my flight stats (growth of value) in the DJI Go4 app - thats something that also needs to be fixed.

Frosty

I see some isolated reports of goggles shipping but it is widespread yet? My supposed ship date was May 20 but that has come and gone with no update from DJI, and of course chat is less than useless. Also some of those that have been shipped were ordered well after me. Is this shaping up to be the usual DJI clusterf..k?

Thanks for such useful feedback.

I haven't read whole thread but sounds like you don't have the HDMI module? It would allow simultaneous usage of phone/tablet thru USB, and googles connected to HDMI output module. In this case you will only have live video feed plus some basic telemetry info in googles, but knowing HDMI output from module "always works" whatever phone/tablet GO4 app status or crash or other connectivity with googles.

Sure you dont want miss googles features and innovation, but one thing we know is that video signal out of optional HDMI module is rock solid and allows simultaneous operation with USB.

Not saying there will be issues with these googles but just to make sure you know there is more options to explore potentially and thanks again for sharing experience.
Am I missing something? The DJI Goggles manual says to use the Micro USB connections on the goggles and R/C to operate when flying the Phantom 4. That would still leave the R/C USB for connection to the tablet in the standard method. I don't know if they give you a double ended Micro USB with the goggles, or it needs to be purchased separately. I'm dying to hear the answer to this, since I have to admit, I think the goggles would be neat for flying an obstacle course around my farm. I would still want to have the tablet installed and operating, though.

Am I missing something? The DJI Goggles manual says to use the Micro USB connections on the goggles and R/C to operate when flying the Phantom 4. That would still leave the R/C USB for connection to the tablet in the standard method. I don't know if they give you a double ended Micro USB with the goggles, or it needs to be purchased separately. I'm dying to hear the answer to this, since I have to admit, I think the goggles would be neat for flying an obstacle course around my farm. I would still want to have the tablet installed and operating, though.

It appears, from reports so far, that the Goggles instruction manual is incorrect at least with the current software/firmware, and that the Goggles connect to the regular USB port on the controller. That means that they cannot be used with a tablet unless connected via HDMI.

It appears, from reports so far, that the Goggles instruction manual is incorrect at least with the current software/firmware, and that the Goggles connect to the regular USB port on the controller. That means that they cannot be used with a tablet unless connected via HDMI.
Ohh. Thank you so much. I was in no hurry anyway. I'll bet a software/firmware update corrects that at some point..

Ohh. Thank you so much. I was in no hurry anyway. I'll bet a software/firmware update corrects that at some point..

It's also been pointed out in a couple of posts that in terms of functionality the Goggles are, effectively, a tablet (with a couple of caveats), and so they may not be intended to work side-by-side. On the other hand that does not appear to be the case with the Mavic, where both phone and Goggles are simultaneously connected, so I somewhat doubt that is the case.

The hugely anticipated and eagerly awaited upcoming updates may address this in addition, of course, to sparking threats of major civil unrest, class action lawsuits and other outbursts of juvenile behavior.

Reactions: Crack The Sky
It's also been pointed out in a couple of posts that in terms of functionality the Goggles are, effectively, a tablet (with a couple of caveats), and so they may not be intended to work side-by-side. On the other hand that does not appear to be the case with the Mavic, where both phone and Goggles are simultaneously connected, so I somewhat doubt that is the case.

The hugely anticipated and eagerly awaited upcoming updates may address this in addition, of course, to sparking threats of major civil unrest, class action lawsuits and other outbursts of juvenile behavior.
Well, maybe the updates are brilliantly designed to create "Safe Spaces" to fly and commiserate in, simultaneously.

Reactions: sar104
Mine arrived today.
Which, it's worth noting, was ordered two weeks after everyone who ordered from the DJI Store on April 24 and are past their shipping date, and as yet know nothing about their order. I guess that answers my (rhetorical) question concerning whether DJI has FU'ed yet again.

I figured I'd take that chance after I saw it happen with the Mavic. Luckily, history repeated itself again.

Well I guess my ranting put the fear of God into DJI because my Goggles are now showing as shipped, but no email notification. I even checked my spam folder, but the only messages there from China are from Asian ladies who 'are looking for a man like me.' :) There's also no shipping info on my order status page, I guess that will update eventually? (hopefully before I receive the package.)

I picked up my DJI Goggles that I pre ordered from my local hobby store today for my Phantom 4... but having trouble getting them activated to use, seems the only way to activate them on P4 is to use the DJI Assistant 2 program from a PC, so I get that plug into the goggles to my PC USB port and run DJI Assistant which finds them and does a firmware update of the goggles, I restart and go through the activation steps again plugging them back into PC when asked but nothing happens and I am stuck at the Activation phase of the goggles..

Anyone have any suggestions..

Perhaps DJI activation servers are not running yet?? The store owner where I got them from told me I had the first setup of them to arrived into the country (Australia) and they only got one of them from DJI today...

Keen to try them out..

- I had to update DJI Assistant on my computer (Mac). I did this after the Goggle F/W updates. Also had to install some android communication s/w on my Mac (the Goggles look like an android device to the Mac). So also had to re-boot that Mac. That permitted activation.

Important to start DJI Assistant while the Goggles are off. Then fire up the Goggles after assistant is running. (For Macs anyway).

- Finally connected to the P4P controller and got the image. Story not over...

My Mavic is not here yet (was at Cerrilitos for repair).

Very Helpful guys! However, I fly a Phantom 4 Pro and I will just be honest, I don't want a 500 dollar goggles that just mirror my iPad. I bought these with (forgive me) with the expectation that they would allow a separate flight control experience within the spectacles. The whole point of tilting up the viewfinder on the fly would be to regain control from your ipad or whatever..

I think Crack the Sky hit the nail on the head. The way these are supposed to work is via the MUSB and REG USB on the Phantom. The control options for the Phantom shoud not require any additional purchases and more importantly, any additional purchases should not just downgrade the goggles intended capabilities. We could buy very cheap goggles if we just wanted a repeater. Make sense?

Anywho, I ordered mine through DJI and am in Atlanta. No shipping as of tonight.. :(

Very Helpful guys! However, I fly a Phantom 4 Pro and I will just be honest, I don't want a 500 dollar goggles that just mirror my iPad. I bought these with (forgive me) with the expectation that they would allow a separate flight control experience within the spectacles. The whole point of tilting up the viewfinder on the fly would be to regain control from your ipad or whatever..

I think Crack the Sky hit the nail on the head. The way these are supposed to work is via the MUSB and REG USB on the Phantom. The control options for the Phantom shoud not require any additional purchases and more importantly, any additional purchases should not just downgrade the goggles intended capabilities. We could buy very cheap goggles if we just wanted a repeater. Make sense?
The P4P do work via the USB port and have full functionality (control via the goggles, head tracking, etc.), and do not require any additional purchases. You may be thinking of the P4P Plus model, which works via an HDMI connection doesn't support head tracking (although it doesn't require any additional purchase as well since it already has an HDMI port.)

The P4P do work via the USB port and have full functionality (control via the goggles, head tracking, etc.), and do not require any additional purchases. You may be thinking of the P4P Plus model, which works via an HDMI connection doesn't support head tracking (although it doesn't require any additional purchase as well since it already has an HDMI port.)

Thanks..So I can fly with the goggles using all the features and raise them up and continue via the iPad?Its not just mirroring?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT