DJI Goggles arrived but wont activate on P4 - Activated now by using a Mavic

Reaction score
I picked up my DJI Goggles that I pre ordered from my local hobby store today for my Phantom 4... but having trouble getting them activated to use, seems the only way to activate them on P4 is to use the DJI Assistant 2 program from a PC, so I get that plug into the goggles to my PC USB port and run DJI Assistant which finds them and does a firmware update of the goggles, I restart and go through the activation steps again plugging them back into PC when asked but nothing happens and I am stuck at the Activation phase of the goggles..

Anyone have any suggestions..

Perhaps DJI activation servers are not running yet?? The store owner where I got them from told me I had the first setup of them to arrived into the country (Australia) and they only got one of them from DJI today...

Keen to try them out..

The DJI Goggles Quick Start Guide shows you must also have the latest firmware installed on the Phantom and remote controller. Have you done that too?

I know my Phantom 4 has the latest firmware , as DJI app tells me it is and the controller is running v 1.8.0

The problem is with the activation of the goggles (they wont activate) and I cant get any further with them until they are activated.

I asked DJI online chat support for help but they didnt know what to do and they told me (after 30 mins) that I need to email dji support!

Bit frustrated that I cant get the new goggles going.. any help appreciated

You're blazing untraveled trails. Most pre-orders (like mine) are not going to be in the hands of buyers until at least Monday.

You have nothing to lose by emailing DJI support. Perhaps they are working out some kind of glitch. I doubt they expected people to have these in their hands this early.

Yeah seems like I was very lucky to get them today a few days sooner than anyone else perhaps?

I wonder if DJI need to turn on Activation servers of something like that.. anyhow I have emailed DJI support - will see what they come back with

The Goggles look and feel great by the way, there is a nice little animation and music that plays when you first turn them on, these things are going to be great fun I think..

Frosty

Following this thread for updates. Lets us know what you find out.

I see on Facebook that some of those who ordered in the first batch last month are reporting receiving shipping notices (but not me, so far :(). The units seem to be in the US already, coming out of a depot in Atlanta. FWIW my order time was 2017-04-24 20:09:44 (UTC).

Some Newegg orders are starting to ship too. I placed an order at Newegg on May 5th. My card was charged yesterday and my order is scheduled to ship today.

Some Newegg orders are starting to ship too. I placed an order at Newegg on May 5th. My card was charged yesterday and my order is scheduled to ship today.
Yes, it would figure if DJI Direct orders ship after other vendors, even if placed later... :mad:

It's not another vendor. Newegg orders are shipped directly from the DJI Store. I'm not sure why they ship them out of order. The same thing happened with the Mavic.

Newegg orders are shipped directly from the DJI Store. I'm not sure why they ship them out of order. The same thing happened with the Mavic.
Yes, it's true that Newegg orders are shipped by DJI, I was referring to the fact that different ordering points may be served first regardless of order priority. And in the case of the Mavic external (non-DJI vendors) were in fact shipping product before earlier DJI Direct orders were shipping (happened to me in fact.) Mavics were even in retail stores before DJI orders shipped. Let's hope we don't see that sad case again.

I am yet to have any reply from DJI support from the email I sent them about not been able to activate my DJI Goggles for my P4 - hope they work the issue out soon and let me know@@

Frosty,

Not sure if it's this - do you have last version of Assistant installed. Must be 1.0.9 or so.

Also check with DJI the S/N - I seem to remember some products shipped whereas must have stay in factory (not specific to these googles)

Just activated the Goggles on my mates Mavic and it works fantastic - what an experience.
Head tracking mode takes a little to get used to but is amazing to see.

Yeap I have v1.0.9 - seems like I might need to wait until next week for a firmware update I believe is coming out for everyone, i hope that fixes the activation method needed for my Phantom 4

Frosty

Thanks for feedback. I imagine it's a big step forward vs Fatshark Googles per example. How comfortable to wear are they?

They are very comfortable to wear and dont feel too heavy, you can adjust the headband to be nice and tight or loose depending how you want it.

Its a little weird on the P4 that you dont have a tablet/phone plugged in when using the Goggles as you need that USB connection - so that a definite advantage the Mavic has as it can still use its tablet/phone and be wireless connected to the Googles also.

The screen size inside the Goggles is huge and totally fills your field of view, I am still trying out the various modes but I do notice that when using the P4 Head tracking and Gimble tracking modes DONT work - they work fine on the Mavic though. Hopefully a firmware update with fix that in the very near future.

If anyone has any questions ask away - happy to answer if I can.

Frosty

I see on Facebook that some of those who ordered in the first batch last month are reporting receiving shipping notices (but not me, so far :(). The units seem to be in the US already, coming out of a depot in Atlanta. FWIW my order time was 2017-04-24 20:09:44 (UTC).

Did they ship yet? Mine shipped yesterday at 15:55 EDST.

Did they ship yet? Mine shipped yesterday at 15:55 EDST.
Nope. I decided to give the DJI Store one more chance but my ship date has come and gone with no word, and with units ordered after mine shipping first. This is the final straw and anyone who orders from the DJI is either a fool or doesn't care when they get the product. I'm tired of being in the former category so... Never. Again.

Had another couple of flights today using the DJI Goggles using my Phantom 4 - a few points to note.
Since you dont/cant have your phone/tablet plugged in as the goggles use the USB port
1. There is no map to see where you have been/are flying
2. Limited settings - i.e you cant change things like max flight distance/height and all those other system settings

Also seems like I could only set 720p/30fps view mode inside the Goggles - you can see/select other modes like 1080/30fps but it still just stayed in what seems to be the default mode of 720P/30pfs

Overall loving using them, but hope firmware updates fix/add a few more features.

Frosty

Thanks for such useful feedback.

I haven't read whole thread but sounds like you don't have the HDMI module? It would allow simultaneous usage of phone/tablet thru USB, and googles connected to HDMI output module. In this case you will only have live video feed plus some basic telemetry info in googles, but knowing HDMI output from module "always works" whatever phone/tablet GO4 app status or crash or other connectivity with googles.

Sure you dont want miss googles features and innovation, but one thing we know is that video signal out of optional HDMI module is rock solid and allows simultaneous operation with USB.

Not saying there will be issues with these googles but just to make sure you know there is more options to explore potentially and thanks again for sharing experience.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj