using a P4 to drop a line in place

Reaction score
Website
fishcrow.com
I experimented with using a P4 to get a line in place. For climbing trees, a bow and arrow rigged with a fishing line is often used. That approach is effective, but in some cases it's necessary to thread the needle with a near perfect shot. I once made such a shot that placed the arrow just over the desired fork. As shown in the attached photo, I used electrical tape to attached a light-weight wooden dowel to the P4. This keeps the line away from the props, especially after dropping the line over a target and then bringing the drone down. I wouldn't recommend this approach, which could result in a crash, but it can be done with care. You need to have a helper to hold the line just tight enough so that the weight is all the way up. Just for fun, I tried a flight with the weight hanging. The drone is actually able to adjust for the modification and fly level, but there is feedback if the weight starts swinging. As you raise it, the rate of swinging increases according to the physics of a pendulum, and the feedback increases. If the weight drops a little ways below the top, the line with the weight and the line coming down will get tangled. So you really need to keep it all the way up. Then maneuver the drone into the right position, and let the weight drop.

drone.jpg

The pendulum is reduced by a longer drop line, closer to drone it increases. I use my Phantoms for fishing and find at 20’ the swing is negligible. Of course the other end of the line is attached to a fishing reel. Releasing the line depends on the type of release mechanism used, tension or by remote.

The pendulum is reduced by a longer drop line, closer to drone it increases. I use my Phantoms for fishing and find at 20’ the swing is negligible. Of course the other end of the line is attached to a fishing reel. Releasing the line depends on the type of release mechanism used, tension or by remote.
For your application, I don't believe there would be a need for the arm that extends off to the side. It is required for putting a line in place, however, because the drone must come down below the line after putting the line in place. The pendulum effect is more problematic when using an arm. I hope you don't catch a whopper that pulls your drone into the water!

For your application, I don't believe there would be a need for the arm that extends off to the side. It is required for putting a line in place, however, because the drone must come down below the line after putting the line in place. The pendulum effect is more problematic when using an arm. I hope you don't catch a whopper that pulls your drone into the water!
My droppers are centrally located, not from the side or legs. Bait is dropped on site then fly back. Auto release avoids disaster from bird strike or entanglement, hard tug and line comes free. Fighting a fish by drone too exciting for me, but probably fun to watch.

My droppers are centrally located, not from the side or legs. Bait is dropped on site then fly back. Auto release avoids disaster from bird strike or entanglement, hard tug and line comes free. Fighting a fish by drone too exciting for me, but probably fun to watch.
One of my family members is an avid fisherman. I'm going to try this idea with him. Can you please suggest how to attach the line to the drone? I have an idea in mind where it's loosely attached so it can be released with a slight tug on the line. However, I'm a firm believer in learning from experts like you!

One of my family members is an avid fisherman. I'm going to try this idea with him. Can you please suggest how to attach the line to the drone? I have an idea in mind where it's loosely attached so it can be released with a slight tug on the line. However, I'm a firm believer in learning from experts like you!
I use a Gannet Sport bait dropper. It has adjustable tension so line is released with a quick tug of the rod or putting reel in gear during flight. It's small and light weight. They have an RC release model, XSport, as well. To keep the fishing line well away from the drone, a drop line is attached between fishing line and release mechanism. I use 3 to 6 ft depending on situation. There are examples on the Gannet site.

I'm missing something, why you would need to get a line through a specific spot in a tree?

Rod ..

I'm missing something, why you would need to get a line through a specific spot in a tree?

Rod ..
As mentioned in the original post, one of the reasons is to rig a tree for climbing. As illustrated in this video, a bow and arrow is used to shoot a fishing line up over a branch that is hefty enough to be safe for climbing, a stronger line is pulled up with the fishing line, and finally the climbing rope is pulled into place. The same approach is useful for getting a line up in a tree for suspending Christmas lights. Yet another application is to get a line on a broken tree branch that is hung up high in a tree. Such branches can pose a danger if left in place. I found that a drone isn't useful for getting a line on a broken tree branch (it is difficult to get the line on the broken branch without getting it hung up on other branches) , but I think it would be useful for putting up lights and rigging trees for climbing.

Reactions: RodPad
Thanks!
I had not a clue of the motive?

90% of the time its post related to my drone is stuck in a tree.

I fell out the boat at least 3 times, after that I hung my self 4 times.
That was !!

Rod ..

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl