DJI GEO Coming to Your P3 Soon

You should stay line of sight (about 1400' with my eyes on a clear day) and below 400' in the USA. Just like most highways in the US have speed limits and a bunch of other rules as well.

It is great to have much better reception (just like it is nice to have a powerful engine in your car), but if flown as recommended by the FAA and AMA then the P3P is really good and the video downlink fantastic. Much better than my DJI 5.8GHZ system on my S800 with Zenmuse.

And if everyone flew the P3Ps this way we would have far fewer unexplained crashes and fly aways.

Reactions: sergekouper
You should stay line of sight (about 1400' with my eyes on a clear day) and below 400' in the USA. Just like most highways in the US have speed limits and a bunch of other rules as well.

It is great to have much better reception (just like it is nice to have a powerful engine in your car), but if flown as recommended by the FAA and AMA then the P3P is really good and the video downlink fantastic. Much better than my DJI 5.8GHZ system on my S800 with Zenmuse.

And if everyone flew the P3Ps this way we would have far fewer unexplained crashes and fly aways.
The term line of sight needs to be used correctly . LOS has nothing to do with seeing your phantom . What your describing is visual line of sight . Which is completely different than line of sight. LOS in theory can be infinite . LOS is an invisible line between transmitter and receiver. As long as there is nothing between the two than line of sight is estsblished.

The term line of sight needs to be used correctly . LOS has nothing to do with seeing your phantom . What your describing is visual line of sight . Which is completely different than line of sight. LOS in theory can be infinite . LOS is an invisible line between transmitter and receiver. As long as there is nothing between the two than line of sight is estsblished.
OK I stand corrected. Always maintain Visual Direct Contact. This can't be using any binoculars, just your eyes and corrective lenses. Or you can have a safety pilot keeping the MR in Visual Range. It is the only way to fly FPV within the FAA and AMA rules for flying model aircraft in the USA. And it is a very good idea to follow these rules.

OK I stand corrected. Always maintain Visual Direct Contact. This can't be using any binoculars, just your eyes and corrective lenses. Or you can have a safety pilot keeping the MR in Visual Range. It is the only way to fly FPV within the FAA and AMA rules for flying model aircraft in the USA. And it is a very good idea to follow these rules.
Just playing devils advocate here but rules or recommendations are not laws. Just saying

Reactions: skyhighdiver
If you are am AMA member and you don't follow the rules, your insurance from AMA is not covering you.

And if something bad happens and you were not following the FAA regulations, they may very well come after you and that can be expensive. Like the first time a commercial aircraft and a MR collide, do you really think the FAA, NTSB and FBI would not try to find the MR pilot and come after her or him with a vengeance.

It is up to you but I play within the rules, I think they make a lot of sense. I am also a GA pilot and I would like to think that every MR operator follow these rules and regulations, just like I follow the FAA part 91 and part 135 rules when flying an aircraft. The rules governing model aircraft are part of the same set of FAA rules and they do regulate the airspace in the USA.

Basically just fly safe and have fun, don't tempt fate. Use common sense.

If you are am AMA member and you don't follow the rules, your insurance from AMA is not covering you.

And if something bad happens and you were not following the FAA regulations, they may very well come after you and that can be expensive. Like the first time a commercial aircraft and a MR collide, do you really think the FAA, NTSB and FBI would not try to find the MR pilot and come after her or him with a vengeance.

It is up to you but I play within the rules, I think they make a lot of sense. I am also a GA pilot and I would like to think that every MR operator follow these rules and regulations, just like I follow the FAA part 91 and part 135 rules when flying an aircraft. The rules governing model aircraft are part of the same set of FAA rules and they do regulate the airspace in the USA.

Basically just fly safe and have fun, don't tempt fate. Use common sense.
???

Flawless everytime!! Can you show me of evidence that shows a long range flight ending bad. What's dangerous is people flying around buildings and places where they shouldn't be. Such as the thanksgiving day parade . I support the geofence . I think it's a great idea.
I support it too, never said I didn't. Geofence is necessary to prevent the reckless, inexperienced, and "this is my right to fly where I want" sort of people to cause trouble where they have no business to be.
However I welcome the option to locally remove the geofence if you first registered with DJI. A good way to think twice before getting in a NFZ, and get really involved if something happen.
About flying at 5km away, for me it's stays a No No.

In the UK, LOS or VLOS is the same thing. It means: As long as you see your aircraft. And whatever happens, the limit is 400ft height, 500m radius.

You could replace your DJI 5.8 by a Amimon Connex. Full HD 1920X1080, and zero latency... ;)

As a single-engine private pilot and drone enthusiast, I welcome the upgrade. It is all too easy for drone pilots to unknowingly endanger lives when operating near airports.

Reactions: phantom13flyer
In the UK, LOS or VLOS is the same thing. It means: As long as you see your aircraft. And whatever happens, the limit is 400ft height, 500m radius.

Maybe that is why I used the term. I went to Paisley Grammar in Scotland in the late 60's. My native tung is Swedish and Finish, but I also speak french and german because of my early life in Europe. I do live in New England now and that is where I do most of my flying of model aircraft and GA planes.

I have flown GA planes in GB and Ireland as wells the US and Caribbean. And I must say as a GA (General Aviation) and commercial plot, I worry about MRs. As an AMA model aircraft enthusiast I am happy to obey by the rules. Lets all be safe and have fun.

Reactions: bobmyers
Can you explain part 91 and part 135 as it pertains to the use of uav's . I'm not familiar with all the rules.
I was making the point that as a pilot flying a full scale GA (general civil aviation) or commercial plane I follow the FAA rules (part 91 and 135 are those rules) it is what helps make our air space system safe. Before regulation in aviation early history the safety record was atrocious. The rules have been developed by studying accidents and aircraft construction for a century and have helped make aviation one of the safest form of travel. Operating a model aircraft is actually part of this system so we should all obey by the rules to help us all stay safe.

But as technology improves the rules will change, it just takes a while.

Bottom line use good common sense and don't be an idiot. Fly safe and have fun, enjoy this great hobby.

Reactions: bobmyers
I don't think most people here have an issue with rules to keep safety, but the issue of laws written seems to be where is the fine line between freedom vs safety. (And then later changed again because of 1 persons stupidity )

I'll bet no one on this site remembers Vern Miller. Vern Miller was a District attorney in Wichita Kansas in the 70's and 80's. Kansas being a dry state, he file charges against the airlines for serving alcohol in Kansas airspace. Therefore Airlines even at 30,000 feet, picked up your drinks when entering Kansas airspace and gave them back to you after leaving Kansas airspace. Point is, politicians can do stupid things and get by with it and we suffer. Be very careful what you are willing to give up, because it may sound good until you lose it.
Just my opinion.

Reactions: Fourprops
Correct. You can then fly in areas that were not previously flyable. They're giving US the choice. By opting out with personal info. Or however they wind up doing it.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jakob08z