DJI GEO Coming to Your P3 Soon

Agreed! I think it's a good approach and will be useful, as long as it works properly.
....so because an idiot drank and drive we will be putting a breathalyzer in Your car just to make sure your not an idiot too. Meanwhile you get chapped lips just to go to the mall. :)

Easy fix... Do not update to new firmwares from now on... Unless DJI add something really really cool like bringing the old GS/Waypoint system back like on the P2V+... There is no reason to update ever again.... Keep your device on Airplane mode and turn off automatic updates and never never ever connect your drone to a pc... Problem fixed.

Let's be very clear when we discuss this idea of no fly zones. The FAA does not have anything called a no fly zone. They have TFRs and different classes of airspace each with their own rules. The no fly zone is a DJI invented term.

And whoever compared increasing drone regulation with increasing gun regulation, you couldn't be more off base. Drones have killed exactly zero people.

Agreed. For all those who do not have a dedicated device or an extra laying around to not have an internet connetion / never connect again...I recommend buying one. $150 - $250 will insure that you can fly your Phantom 3 indefinately, disconnected from the cloud so to speak. To much chance to auto connect / and or download by aggressive push downloads. If peripheral device is disconnected and dedicated to only that one function, it should allow continual operation. I do not own a dedicated device so I'm thinking it may be worth the investment if half the city isn't blocked out.

Let's be very clear when we discuss this idea of no fly zones. The FAA does not have anything called a no fly zone. They have TFRs and different classes of airspace each with their own rules. The no fly zone is a DJI invented term.

And whoever compared increasing drone regulation with increasing gun regulation, you couldn't be more off base. Drones have killed exactly zero people.

To further expand that definition which separates' the analogy even further-- guns are weapons which can be intended to kill and UAS with regard to models or "aircraft" are for pleasure or camera platforms and are intended for pleasure or photography.

There is no analogy except that in the US both are controlled by two different Federal agencies. one responsible for guns and weapons, the ATF and one responsible for aircraft flying in the US "airspace.", the FAA.

When you bought your P3 Who was the architect of it been not perfect for 1 self, even in childhood it's a learning curve, after all you bought it, maybe your perfect

Can we have a discussion without name calling, please?

In my area, there is a LOT of area that is covered by these areas that are within the specified distance from everything from a major airport, several military airfields, several other military installations, and my small airfields. I wouldn't agree that "99%" of my area is not affected. And I also won't agree that these areas are all "sensitive areas". To me, a 3 mile radius seems more reasonable around most of these areas.

But with some due diligence, I am still able to find enough interesting (to me) areas to fly my Phantom and take interesting videos and pictures.

Reactions: bobmyers
The ONLY thing that has any lawful restriction is airports and a small area around military installations. Beyond that, limitations are not only illegal, but also a limitation that DJI (I dont believe) doesnt have the legal authority to establish.

Can we have a discussion without name calling, please?

In my area, there is a LOT of area that is covered by these areas that are within the specified distance from everything from a major airport, several military airfields, several other military installations, and my small airfields. I wouldn't agree that "99%" of my area is not affected. And I also won't agree that these areas are all "sensitive areas". To me, a 3 mile radius seems more reasonable around most of these areas.

But with some due diligence, I am still able to find enough interesting (to me) areas to fly my Phantom and take interesting videos and pictures.

Where are you flying out of?

Norfolk-VIrginia Beach area

airmap.png
don't fly drones here.png

Reactions: III% Streve
The reason for the credit card info is very simple.
Once your P3 enters or violates any of these NFZ an alert will simply be sent out and DJI will ticket the violator via your card and drone registration on behave of the FAA and they'll take a cut as an administrative charge as well. Just like photo radar. The fines I'll vary depending on the violation.

Have you tried it to know how far it goes in verifying your details?
No Serge, I have no interest in putting my house in a NoFlyZone, or anybody else's for that matter. I see no reason to believe their processes are any different than what they state in their "Frequently Asked Questions".

I'm actually kind of fearful of giving those guys my name and email address. I think what they are doing is potentially so intrusive that I don't trust what they'll do with the information. The Terms of Use insist you give your actual name and email address just to be able to look at the "AirMap". Why do they need that?

Remember: "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you."

Reactions: hot dog
Once your P3 enters or violates any of these NFZ an alert will simply be sent out and DJI will ticket the violator via your card and drone registration on behave of the FAA and will take a cut as well. Just like photo radar. The fines I'll vary depending on the violation.
It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Phantom Pilots forum. I hope that you will take advantage of the benefits that come with membership and that you will be able to use the forum for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in Phantom quadcopter’s.

That is some interesting speculation. I don't think it would work that way but I bet they are dreaming it would. :D

Once your P3 enters or violates any of these NFZ an alert will simply be sent out and DJI will ticket the violator via your card and drone registration on behave of the FAA and they'll take a cut as an administrative charge as well. Just like photo radar. The fines I'll vary depending on the violation.
theshining-1427212867.gif

Reactions: Mike Drone7
Except that there has to be a law to violate. Good thought, but no dice.

Reactions: aka1ceman
How about we refrain from blatantly making stuff up?

The laws are already in place as for airports and control zones and other restricted airspace. The only reason they're not enforced is that tracking down a violating drone is much harder than a regular aircraft.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jakob08z