DIY Antenna Booster for Phantom 3

Hi DaGunn,

The currency change between the two values is 1 Euro = 17,72 Pesos, so for one P3 Range Booster you should pay 337 Pesos + Shipment fees.

View attachment 26964

If you wish to order it, please let me know how many pieces you need and your postal address and I will calculate the shipment fees.
A single Range Booster costs 19,00 Euros but if you buy multiple items you get a special discount.
You can pay to my Paypal ID "[email protected]". Every Range Booster is usually ready for the shipment within 1 day from the payment.

Best regards.

Love the idea, will try it myself. Although when I posted about a $150 battery being too expensive apparently I was in the wrong hobby. Keep on keepin on bro

David, quick question on you products. Can your products be dyed? like people have done with the props, body... using the RIT Dye?

I don't understand why people keep telling him that. Its his Phantom he payed for it he knows there's a risk of loosing his phantom. My thoughts are better that If it malfunction's, drops out of the sky... at least there is a less likely chance over water to hit someone or something.

Am I telling him what to do? or am I making a blanket statement because Ive seen many people try to fly into a head wind and not make it home? Those who have experienced the latter somehow missed the pitfalls of flying fpv long range over water, thats why I say it, for those who see his flight path and think its a good idea.

I don't understand why people keep telling him that. Its his Phantom he payed for it he knows there's a risk of loosing his phantom. My thoughts are better that If it malfunction's, drops out of the sky... at least there is a less likely chance over water to hit someone or something.

Yes maybe I should've mentioned the pitfalls of flying over water. I would think it's pretty obvious. If you run out of battery you will lose your Phantom whereas over land you would likely land ok and recover it. If you have a catastrophic hardware failure (like I did with a P2 last Jan), you either lose it in the ocean (like I did) or crash hard on land and destroy it and possibly damage someone/thing. These are calculated risks - if you can't afford to lose a Phantom you might want to be more conservative. The true distance junkies fly WAY more aggressively than I ever do.

I did mention knowing what you're doing and being careful. For me that has meant 450 flights over 20 months carefully keeping track of every detail, monitoring, using Flytrex, etc. If someone just jumps in and tries long distance he might do what I read about here the other day: fly out at 45mph, turn around at 65% and then be forced to land a mile away on the return.

Reactions: david wettlaufer
Thanks for explaining that Hoover. For me the best place for long range fpv is the country, I can get up to 4 miles in each direction and don't fly over any houses or busy roads.

Hi DaGunn,

The currency change between the two values is 1 Euro = 17,72 Pesos, so for one P3 Range Booster you should pay 337 Pesos + Shipment fees.

View attachment 26964

If you wish to order it, please let me know how many pieces you need and your postal address and I will calculate the shipment fees.
A single Range Booster costs 19,00 Euros but if you buy multiple items you get a special discount.
You can pay to my Paypal ID "[email protected]". Every Range Booster is usually ready for the shipment within 1 day from the payment.

Best regards.
I want to thank you, Giuseppe for the Range Booster which I use already on my RC!

I fly often over the sea shore near towns and residential villages, camps, cell repeaters and areas with permanent wifi (reflected or not) coverage (as the area I fly is holiday destination - hotels, guest houses). With your Range Booster (with aluminium foil) I fly without worrying of signal strength and the FPV experience is always stunning, no matter if it flies near the town or above the sea, near the coast. Of course I fly with clear line of sight.

The main reason I've bought it was to straight the signal, I am not a range flight enthusiast.

Once again, well done Giuseppe!

To all: fly safe, low and slow !

Hello All,

Thanks again for all the great reviews & kind words about my items. Just wanted to let all the people know that were thinking of getting a Windsurfer to extend there range that they are on Sale now! at my website and also comes with a FREE GIFT! ($10.00 Value) for when your not using your windsurfer.
View attachment 30391
My windsurfers come fully assembled with reflective tape already on the windsurfer (It can be tricky not to get air bubbles when applying the reflective material) 2 - extra strips of reflective tape incase you damage the reflective surface. 2 - Locking clips to help keep everything in place & Instructions. I smooth out & Vapor seal the windsurfer surface to get the best performance & life out of the part. Each of my windsurfers can take you passed 3+ miles with Optimal conditions. This entre process takes 3.5 hours but worth it. Orders Typically ships out in 3 days.
View attachment 30393
You also get a FREE Antenna spacer to use when your not using your windsurfer. It Slips over the ends of your Antennas to keep them parallel to prevent them from getting knocked out of alignment during flight allowing for Max range & uninterrupted video/signal. Also, its a great help when making adjustments during flight and it looks great!
View attachment 30392
View attachment 30400

These Top Quality items are and more can be found here: Dynamic 3D Solutions

Thanks again
~Dave~

Hey Dave your windsurfer for the P2V+ ver3, increased my normal range of 1200-1500 ft out to 2500 ft. Sweet product. I'm getting close to getting my P3A ready to fly and I need to know what is the best design for it? Large single unit or the two piece design.

Tried another distance flight with Dave's windsurfer the other day. Made it to 4.02 miles. Around 20,000' I was losing signal quality although it did work until the turnaround a bit over 21,000. Turned out that while the app said I was perfectly maintaining my altitude of 325 feet, actually I was at about 125'! Warm day and starrting completely cold may have confused the barometer.

Amazingly, video and control still worked at that height at 4 miles. I'll try again next week. I want to show it can do 5 bars at 4+ miles.

Here's the video sped up 4x:

Tried another distance flight with Dave's windsurfer the other day. Made it to 4.02 miles. Around 20,000' I was losing signal quality although it did work until the turnaround a bit over 21,000. Turned out that while the app said I was perfectly maintaining my altitude of 325 feet, actually I was at about 125'! Warm day and starrting completely cold may have confused the barometer.

Amazingly, video and control still worked at that height at 4 miles. I'll try again next week. I want to show it can do 5 bars at 4+ miles.

Wow - impressive! I'm still getting used to my P3A, but got Dave's Windsurfer yesterday - going to try them out today locally. I'm in San Jose - never thought about going over to Highway 1 - d'oh!

Good run-- My heart rate would be up a little with the battery remaining and the distance left to home:D:D

There all great. I don't put my antennas in the "v" shape like some prefer to fly with... so I use the full versions. Also if you use a Case think about what one may fit better in your case. The full versions may not fit great in your case were the split one may be a better fit.
Hope this helps some
Dave,
Actually YOUR original full version fits just perfectly in my DJI hardback. Maybe I should go out and buy the competition to see if it WILL NOT fit, lol...[emoji16]
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1442178925.712701.jpg

David et al,

The interest created here is great but I'd like strongly suggest you adopt a modified design that is optimal as a parabolic reflector.

I have your and another design and tested using a laser pointer (cat toy).

The design you're currently using is essentially too "flat" to reflect RF energy optimally.

The alternate design I purchased and tested is by far the more optimal in reflecting RF energy back onto the antenna.

Please see below.

Good:

Not good:

Hi @david wettlaufer I'm really interested in your products.
Can you tell me if you ship to Australia?
Will your site automatically add the required shipping costs if I attempt to purchase through it?

Cheers,
Matt

Just received my range booster from Guiseppe. Looks very nice. It's only raining cats and dogs now so have to wait to put them on test.
I'll post my findings.
Thnx Guiseppe for the fast delivery [emoji106]

Reactions: dkyacht
Turned out that while the app said I was perfectly maintaining my altitude of 325 feet, actually I was at about 125'! Warm day and starrting completely cold may have confused the barometer.

Did you happen to notice the warning message at 142 mark in the video? It explained the aircraft would begin changing altitude per the RTH height settings. However, it was only active briefly. I'm guessing it came on just from pointing the R/C at the ground or away for a split second. I personally didn't see the aircraft descend any until the battery warning at the end of the flight.

Your icon graph only showed a reception loss on the video side. I agree with David had you been up at least closer to 500ft you would have had more left in the tank. But the battery issue would have came into play more so which we don't want that to happen.

Something you might not know is, the wind is more constant and stronger at high altitudes. If you are in a situation on the return flight that you are flying into the wind in any way, you might consider lowering the altitude down as you fly back. The wind may have gust but it will also have pockets of steady air that you wont have to fight against. That alone will help increase flight time with the battery.

Fellow Pilots,
I just ordered the Windsurfer booster from Mr. Wettlaufer and I have to say it was a very pleasant experience. Overall I was vey happy with the purchase and was very eager to test their performance. Rather than to try and quantify their performance in the field based on flight distance, I wanted to see if I can objectively quantify the gain of these parabolic reflectors. Thus I positioned the controller at a fixed distance from a Trifield Meter (Model 100XE) that measures radio and magnetic fields. Took a baseline reading with the transmitter off to rule out background noise. Then without and with the reflectors. The data speak for themselves. The magnetic field went from 4-6 milligauss to over 10 milligauss. It is hard to translate that into real world flight performance but if anybody was dubious about the concept I believe this would confirm that they are performing as intended.
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1442449470.464868.jpg

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1442449500.117466.jpg

Nice product for the money.

Regards,
Albert

Albert,

Thank you for providing some hard data that correlates with what many of us have experienced out in the field.

:harry

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart