DIY Antenna Booster for Phantom 3

A few flights with the properly shaped reflector on my I1:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442679096.395990.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442679182.268296.jpg

Reactions: david wettlaufer
My cat toy is making that eBay guy rich at 1,250 views of my video (about 1,000 views in the last few weeks alone since he's been using it) but that's fine with me. :)

His reflector is $20 and if 75% of those viewers purchased, he's making revenue at a rate of nearly $30,000/month.

Not bad for a cat toy.

The above flights didn't push any limits and I had full bars and plenty of battery left.

I have a power mod coming where I can safely see what this thing can do though. Should give me upwards of 30 min flight time. 13+ min out at full throttle on the Inspire in ATTI should help me to get to a video signal loss. :)

Last edited:
My cat toy is making that eBay guy rich at 1,250 views of my video (about 1,000 views in the last few weeks alone since he's been using it) but that's fine with me. :)

His reflector is $20 and if 75% of those viewers purchased, he's making revenue at a rate of nearly $30,000/month.

Not bad for a cat toy.

The above flights didn't push any limits and I had full bars and plenty of battery left.

I have a power mod coming where I can safely see what this thing can do though. Should give me upwards of 30 min flight time. 13+ min out at full throttle on the Inspire in ATTI should help me to get to a video signal loss. :)

I'd be shocked if he's getting 5% conversion rate. That said - they have sold 8 in the last 24 hours according to ebay. $80 per day / $2400 a month - not bad.

I'm proud as the pioneer of introducing this DIY parabolic antenna booster to Phantom 3 or Inspire 1.

The beauty of this DIY booster (9 dBi) is no antenna nor RC mods required without worrying to void warranty. You can install or remove the booster within seconds on Phantom 3 remote controller, while most of P3 cases/backpacks are designed for stock RC/antennas.. It is cheap (cost almost nothing) and easier than any antenna mod without the hassles and risks of adding/replacing 2.4G antenna, pigtail cable and drilling holes on RC. It's widely used in RC hobby and Wi-Fi router for years.

Video shows how it works improving both RC and HD video signal

We pick 9 dBi is mainly due to the size fitting well on Phantom 3 remote controller and with reasonable beamwidth for easy aiming the Phantom. We prefer slight "V" (<20 degrees vs. vertical) antenna setup to keep them apart for lowering interference and improving diversity gain.
11692518_602542766515200_7949220182246705745_n.jpg

A modified PDF template for Phantom 3 antenna available for download Booster9dbi2_4Ghz_Phantom3.pdf

RC signal dropping to "53" and HD video signal to "11" at 2.5km range
11667254_602542859848524_3981618665211656565_n.png

RC signal improving to "93" and HD video signal to "56" after antenna booster installed
11659298_602543109848499_8443119314086277200_n.png

• Material required: cardboard, aluminum foil (or aluminum/copper tape)

• Tools required: printer, scissors, utility knife, glue, double tape (I use double tape to stick aluminium foil onto cardboard)

• DIY steps:
1. Print 2 copies of the PDF template on A4/Letter size paper (or direct on cardboard if your printer support) from the above download link
2. Use common sense and follow the steps below
3. How to build your own Windsurfer Antenna

Some of you might be wondering why the booster is parabolic with precise focal point at the antenna (shown below) or can it be some other shapes? Why some pilots report working very well but some don't? This simple DIY booster involves certain physics and RF knowledge Parabolic antenna - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. At 2.4GHz frequency, precision is important while 1/4" discrepancy is unacceptable.

With proper parabolic curve and focal point, RF reaches to (sends from) antenna at the same time in same phase to maximize the booster effect. Otherwise, some RF might be shifted/cancelled between each others to lower the performance.

11742676_606148656154611_4333681771656214054_n.png

After the introduction of this parabolic antenna booster to Phantom 3 or Inspire 1, there are so many members interested in this simple mod to extend FPV video and control range. There are various eBay sellers listing their 3D printed antenna boosters with similar design, and I have listed them below for easy reference.

DJI Phantom 3 & Inspire 1 Controller / Video Antenna Range Booster Windsurfer
http://www.ebay.com/itm/311405462696?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/281759452169?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

If any of you found similar antenna boosters and are willing to share, please let me know and I can list them in the OP.
I did this a long time ago. Works great.

I'd be shocked if he's getting 5% conversion rate. That said - they have sold 8 in the last 24 hours according to ebay. $80 per day / $2400 a month - not bad.

Folks hitting the "more info" detail are the only ones seeing the video link, and if you've gone that far, you're very likely going to buy in my opinion (it's a $20 item, barrier is low).

But being gracious, even if the conversion rate was only 50%, that's still 1000 x 0.5 = 500 units in 2 weeks x $20 per unit = $10,000 x 2 (2 2-week periods in a month) or $20,000/month.

Chop that in half of you are skeptical, that's still $10,000/month.

Even at 10 per day that's $200/day x 30 days = $6,000/month.

Anyway. Good stuff. Longer distances and money spreading around :)

David,

Thanks for the reply! Is there another template I can download that will work for the P3S? Or do I have to buy it directly from you? Seems like all I'd have to do is make the holes smaller for the antenna, and it would work correct?

I've gotten several items from David now and he has always had his stuff spec'd out and fitting nicely.

Anyone have the link for the P3S Windsurfer Template? Can't seem to find it. If this doesn't work, I might try the DBS mod that Dataa has performed in another post, or I"ll wait until they have the exact mod to fit the P3S controller.

I've read the first 15 pages or so and without waiting to read it all, I was going to ask you guys what it's the most popular one to buy right now? I've read so many good things about them and I see that a lot of people ordering them and are fully satisfied with them, I want to order mine right now!

Can someone suggest a good one to order?

Thanks.

I've read the first 15 pages or so and without waiting to read it all, I was going to ask you guys what it's the most popular one to buy right now? I've read so many good things about them and I see that a lot of people ordering them and are fully satisfied with them, I want to order mine right now!

Can someone suggest a good one to order?

Thanks.

anybody?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1