DIY Antenna Booster for Phantom 3

View attachment 41436
Really it's suppose to go like this lol. I probably could have gone Further if it was on right
I too have noticed many forum users not getting better range after attaching the parabolic shields backwards. I like to think of a broadcast signal as a light bulb. Imagine a single light bulb in a dark room. It can fill the room with light, but the light is scattered in all directions evenly. If you placed a parabolic mirror on one side of the light bulb, you could direct more light to a single direction and that light would be gathered, concentrated, brighter and go farther while the rest of the room grew darker. They broadcast further in one direction (think of a flashlight beam too) so you have to be facing the direction of your drone... and receive better from one direction in the same way. Kind of like scooping up the return signal if you will.

Reactions: reversevector
If you have the parabolic antennas that are separated, make sure you keep your antennas parallel. This creates a resonance between the two antennas that also improves the signal quality.

If you have the parabolic antennas that are separated, make sure you keep your antennas parallel. This creates a resonance between the two antennas that also improves the signal quality.
I don't think so. One antenna is for receiving, one for transmitting. They are not cophased, and even if they were, this has nothing to do with resonance.

I don't think so. One antenna is for receiving, one for transmitting. They are not cophased, and even if they were, this has nothing to do with resonance.
Agree. Resonance is a completely different matter, nothing to do with radio frequencies.

Guys, really interesting topic, and after being inspired by the guy with the soda can, and it being "beer o'clock" over here in Australia, I had to have a beer, so I could use the can! Took all of 5 minutes and sort of managed to keep the antenna in the right place in regards to the curve of the reflective surface. Tried it on the drone and found a vast improvement in the distance as well as the video quality. Would be real easy to make a balsa bracket, glued to the can, to support the top of the antenna.

Attachments

• Phanton 3 Pro 1.jpg
    Phanton 3 Pro 1.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 618
  • Phanton 3 Pro 2.jpg
    Phanton 3 Pro 2.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 645
  • Phanton 3 Pro 4.jpg
    Phanton 3 Pro 4.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 652
  • Phanton 3 Pro 6.jpg
    Phanton 3 Pro 6.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 610
IMG_2785.JPG
I have a phantom 3 standard and made my own parabolic antenna. I get between 5500 to 7300 feet and made it out of a $1.25 aluminum roaster pan from Walmart and a piece of stiff foam and a zip tie. Works great as long a you have RC pointed at the drone.

I made a cantenna from a soda can cut in half vertically. On my P3S, I managed to get 1000 meters distance at 200 meters altitude, and I was aiming through tree branches when it hit 1 km. 1500m could be possible with clear line of sight.

On second thought, cantennas probably aren't the best design because the antenna has a deep curve. A parabolic design like a Windsurfer has a much gentler curve, although the larger width could interfere with the FPV antennas on the RC body.

Last edited:
I ditched the cantenna and made a Windsurfer out of a soda can and foam for the standoff. I printed the paper instructions but instead of using the paper, I traced out the outlines on soda can aluminum and foam.

Works pretty good so far, I've gotten 1500m range at 300m altitude before the video feed cut out. Probably better to use the remote on a tripod at long range to make sure the antenna beam angle is correct.

I noticed Dave isn't on the site anymore??? Can someone explain the difference between the "original" and the "full".

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav