DIY Antenna Booster for Phantom 3

Tried the wave surfer antena bought from forum member, for me it did not do anything. Just make the signal worse.

Hi Kreso,

it is very strange that you have not had a positive experience using a range booster with your Phantom...

Anyway, perhaps you need some practical advice to improve the performance of this accessory:

- the Antennas of the Phantom RC are omnidirectional, so the signal is normally spread 360 degrees around their axis;

- the Range Booster has a parabolic shape that transforms the antennas from omnidirectional to unidirectional;

- using the Range Booster on the Phantom RC, you must be very careful to orient the antennas straight towards the drone;

- unless you experience an evident signal decrease, the use of the Range Booster is not recommended in a short range, let's say with the drone distant not more than 1 - 1,5 kilometers;

- the Range Booster should be mounted as soon as the signal looses part of its strenght and you note a lower level on the APP indicator;

- if the drone is flying just over your head, you must keep the antennas parallel to the ground with the Range Booster mounted backwards.

I think you will solve all the problems following these directions.

Tried the wave surfer antena bought from forum member, for me it did not do anything. Just make the signal worse.
You probably put them on backwards then. They definitely work, I did 4,5km out with full signal, no warnings or anything.

Reactions: david wettlaufer
I did not install them backwards, im not that stupid lol. So i did 1 flight without it and recorded my maximal distance, when i lost signal i tried to put the wave surfer antena and signal did not return. The i tried a flight only with it in same conditions and started to loose signal quite fast. Maybe because i have low power CE unit, but will find a solution eventually.

I was flying without any wind, clear line of sight, beautiful day. Without the wave surfer i lost signal just little below 3 km, with it i lost it around 2600 m.

I have noticed that one half of wave surfer is not smooth and there is many imperfections on Applied foil, possibly that could be a problem. But anyway for me this booster is Money down the drain, but i will test it once more.

It looks like you was keeping the parabolic reflectors not correctly directed towards your Phantom.
I suggest you to try again following all my previous directions.

Does the thickness of the metal used make a difference? I.e. Foil vs tin stock
I used a cheap aluminum smooth bottom cookie sheet that you can buy at the dollar store or someplace like that, pick a smooth one the aluminum is much thicker than foll and remains very smooth when you bend after being placed on the heavy folder paper. mine are very smooth no wrinkles or dents what so ever

Hi Kreso,

it is very strange that you have not had a positive experience using a range booster with your Phantom...

Anyway, perhaps you need some practical advice to improve the performance of this accessory:

- the Antennas of the Phantom RC are omnidirectional, so the signal is normally spread 360 degrees around their axis;

- the Range Booster has a parabolic shape that transforms the antennas from omnidirectional to unidirectional;

- using the Range Booster on the Phantom RC, you must be very careful to orient the antennas straight towards the drone;

- unless you experience an evident signal decrease, the use of the Range Booster is not recommended in a short range, let's say with the drone distant not more than 1 - 1,5 kilometers;

- the Range Booster should be mounted as soon as the signal looses part of its strenght and you note a lower level on the APP indicator;

- if the drone is flying just over your head, you must keep the antennas parallel to the ground with the Range Booster mounted backwards.

I think you will solve all the problems following these directions.

Type in on a search metamaterial we are going to work on a range booster using these materials, my neighbor who is a physicist is claiming that the range can be increased 10 times if an antenna booster is designed correctly using the these materials

Type in on a search metamaterial we are going to work on a range booster using these materials, my neighbor who is a physicist is claiming that the range can be increased 10 times if an antenna booster is designed correctly using the these materials
10 times range is a bit exaggerated, unless you put a sizable satellite dish as reflector. It's not some rocket science, and let me elaborate it with some basic physics.

The stock antenna is about 3 dBi gain, and the DIY reflector boosts it to about 9 dBi gain theoretically if everything works perfectly well. Every 3 dB gain doubles the power and increase 41% range (square root 2) of RC. Then 6 dB gain is about 4X power and double the range: sqrt(2) * sqrt(2) = 2.

I just got my phantom 3 Standard In and have made various items to sell for it including a windsurfer. Looks like they put the wifi antenna's in the end of the controller, one on each side.(They are marked) so the windsurfer will only help the controller and not the video. I will test to see how far it will go soon.(I will be selling it ..with all item I made for it when I'm done designing from it if anyone interested in buying it.. 1-3 weeks away.. send me a e-mail)

They built the oem range extender inside of the controller. So you may want to make sure a windsurfer doesn't block the reception to it, or interfere in any way.

I dont know it posted or not but If you interest with this kind of antenna than you should watch it. Thanks voyager4000!

Very interesting thread. Why do people fly perpendicular to the wind? If you want to add an extra margin of safety, the first leg should be into the wind...

10 times range is a bit exaggerated, unless you put a sizable satellite dish as reflector. It's not some rocket science, and let me elaborate it with some basic physics.

The stock antenna is about 3 dBi gain, and the DIY reflector boosts it to about 9 dBi gain theoretically if everything works perfectly well. Every 3 dB gain doubles the power and increase 41% range (square root 2) of RC. Then 6 dB gain is about 4X power and double the range: sqrt(2) * sqrt(2) = 2.[/QUOTE

It can be made to focus like a laser ten times range is not an exaggeration it is not a reflector concept I will have my neighbor post an explanation so as you may all kick it around a bit

After some links of people who are selling these premade online. Are the copper ones better than aluminium?

Bonus if they are based in Australia, but not required.

I dont know it posted or not but If you interest with this kind of antenna than you should watch it. Thanks voyager4000!

I did this cd box thing and tried this afternoon. Fortunately, result was fantastic. I started flying without them and lost signal at about 900mt. It's normal because I was in a city. I put the windsurfer antenna and OMG: It flied 2750mt until it lost the signal.
Tomorrow first thing I'll order a ready made one for my P3P. The question is aluminium or copper one?!?
What do you think?

Hi guys, I have written a document containing few instructions about the use of my Range Boosters.

I encourage all the people who have already bought a Range Booster (Aluminium or Copper version) to download a copy of this document and read carefully its content.

IMG_3527r25.jpg

IMG_3485r25.jpg

For any info about characteristics and costs of Range Boosters, please write me to "[email protected]".

Attachments

• Range Booster Instructions.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 490
Reactions: Oesau
My second try was a little further, post 524: DIY Antenna Booster for Phantom 3 | Page 27 | DJI Phantom Forum

I found out after I did that earlier flight over water that there is a marine reserve there and that in July 2014, they made a rule specifically disallowing UAVs from flying there below 1000' (which I certainly was). So I can't do any more over water flights there. The slightly longer one I linked to here was nearby but 100% over land, and was completely legal I believe. PM me the exact picture and info you want to use please.

And these are not near the limit with your Windsurfer. I have to do a little repair before I can fly again - hoping that's Wednesday. If the repair works and the weather cooperates I'll try for a longer one. 4 miles should be completely doable, and more if conditions are just right. In places like this, signal strength is not the issue, only battery life and weather.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl