Controller won't see any devices, says "Disconnected"

Adam Kontras, did you try this?

I did! It made my led turquoise and the RTH button was lit. Thought we had something. The DJI tech said that was resetting the controller. He said to plug in my iphone now and nothing changed. Still didn't see my iphone 6 plus, ipadpro nor my wife's iphone 6. Used 3 different (working) cables with each device. It's absolutely baffling. SO he said it must be a broken USB port so I needed to ship it to them...

...but if the USB port is broken why can it power an external harddrive or my fitbit?!?!

The USB connection has both power and data. Just because there is power available to charge, doesn't mean the data is flowing.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Been working with computers for 30 years, and this would absolutely be the first time I've ever seen a USB port lose JUST it's data, but power is fine. I guess anything's possible, but it sure doesn't seem likely.

...but if the USB port is broken why can it power an external harddrive or my fitbit?!?!
Not sure. It sounds like you tried all known fixes though. It might be time to work with through the issue with DJI support.

I'm gonna borrow a buddy's controller and do some tests as well as check out an android device. Maddening though. I was so into this hobby last year and the constant upgrades and "fixes" essentially killed my spirit for it. Because of that I mainly use it as a nice hand-held steadicam for certain shots without ever flying it...

...now I can't even do that. I wish I could go back to the P3P I bought in May of last year. It was a very fun and useful device.

Been working with computers for 30 years, and this would absolutely be the first time I've ever seen a USB port lose JUST it's data, but power is fine. I guess anything's possible, but it sure doesn't seem likely.

Me too Adam, just fishing here, and anything is possible at any time. I (and MSINGER and others) truly have a desire to help fix these issues. It is frustrating to not have the equipment in front of us, and try to communicate help here. It might be something simple, or and actual hardware failure. If it's any consolation, we have all put in the time you have trying to solve there types of issues. Having test gear as I do makes it so easy, and I wish I had your bird here, lol.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Another piece of info that will make you want to bang your head into the wall...

I plugged my iPhone 4 into controller and it started charging. Tried again to plug any of my "lightening cord" devices with any of the 3 cords I have that work fine in everything else and nada. So it isn't just a data/power issue. It won't even POWER through the lightening cables.

Now it seems like it HAS to be a cord issue... but if every cord I have works on everything else... how would I test that? Keep buying cables?!?!! UGH.

This looks like an issue between the camera and the body of the drone itself. For the o.p.. can you confirm this? the remote connects to the drone and can send signals to start the rotors, moving the left wheel will move the camera up and down?

If so, it's a cable issue on the drone.. most likely check the two cables that connect the gimbal to the drone body. ?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

This looks like an issue between the camera and the body of the drone itself. For the o.p.. can you confirm this? the remote connects to the drone and can send signals to start the rotors, moving the left wheel will move the camera up and down?

If so, it's a cable issue on the drone.. most likely check the two cables that connect the gimbal to the drone body. ?

That's precisely why it isn't an issue with the controller and body of the drone itself... the remote connects to the drone and can send signals to start the rotors and move the camera up and down.

The controller simply doesn't see anything I plug in with my lightening cable. Will charge any other USB device I plug into it... won't charge my lightening cable devices. I've now used 4 separate working cables with no luck.

Also I was able to make a video blind by hitting record on my controller and guessing my walk-through. So again, all of that works perfectly. I even bought Litchi to see if that would connect (kind of stupid to spend $23 on that fix when I was almost certain it wouldn't work - but I presume this will be fixed someday).

Thanks for the suggestions. Keep 'em coming. This has to be a firmware type of fix...

OOOH - may have figured out the issue: my RC will charge an iphone4s with the old apple cable... but it will NOT charge the ipad2 with the old apple cable.

So maybe the usb port is simply not giving out enough power to see the devices that need more juice like the ipadpro and the iphone6? Is that possible?

I've encountered this a few times. I was worry at first. But my solution is turn off the RC then pull the cable out. Then plug cable in and turn on RC. Just leave the AC turned on.
Hope this can help you.

I've encountered this a few times. I was worry at first. But my solution is turn off the RC then pull the cable out. Then plug cable in and turn on RC. Just leave the AC turned on.
Hope this can help you.

Nope, but thanks for the response.

Check your WiFi connection, that is be sure your app device is connected to your controller. I kept having the same problem and after deleting the app and reinstalling same problem the realized the wifi was wrong....good luck.

And here's a silly one I did.....opened DJIGO and after stuffing around realized it was set on the wrong Phantom!!

Hey Adam, did you ever resolve this issue? I am having the EXACT same issue you were having with my Apple iOS devices. I was able to get my Android device to work normally, but no joy on the iPhone. Any info you came up with would be GREATLY appreciated!

Bump! Absolutely identical problem. Examined the USB port connection - perfect condition. Anyone found a solution to DISCONNECTED between controller and tablet (after months of perfect reliability), please chime in.

It's the strangest thing, but the only solution I found was to flip the (supposedly universal) lightning cable on my iPhone and it worked. I plug the lightning end of the cable in to my iPhone, and it won't connect. I flip that end 180 degrees and it works. To complicate matters even more, I went out and bought a brand new apple brand cable and it didn't work either way inserted. I borrowed my wife's phone and had a lot more luck with multiple cables (although not 100% with all cables) I'm not sure, but this may indicate a bum connection with the iPhone port itself. I tried cleaning the port with a cleaning kit I have for my camera, but it didn't help. Now I just have one magic cable that I've marked with a sharpie on the side that works every time. I'm curious if a brand new device will work with all cables. That will be my test when I upgrade to an iPad for flying. Hope this helps in the search for a permanent solution.

It's the strangest thing...

I had just installed Litchi, and at first thought that was what brought this on, since it is the ONLY thing I have changed in months. Litchi installation does appear to be just an extraordinary coincidence at this point, after contacting Litchi people who state there is zero code in their app that could do this.

So...against my own intuition, I have ordered a new (overpriced IMHO) USB port module to replace what may be a burned-out one...which should never happen on such an expensive aircraft. I've tried so many other solutions, I have lost count.

I had just installed Litchi, and at first thought that was what brought this on, since it is the ONLY thing I have changed in months. Litchi installation does appear to be just an extraordinary coincidence at this point, after contacting Litchi people who state there is zero code in their app that could do this.

So...against my own intuition, I have ordered a new (overpriced IMHO) USB port module to replace what may be a burned-out one...which should never happen on such an expensive aircraft. I've tried so many other solutions, I have lost count.
I didn't even know what Litchi was, so that wasn't what caused mine, but after reading up on Litchi, it sounds awesome. I have to check that one out. I did recently start using Drone Deploy so maybe there is some sort of correlation with third party DJI apps. That being said, it makes no sense why my cable works perfectly one way, and has no connection the other way.

One indication I notice is that when I fire everything up and connect the cable the wrong way, the phone appears to be in "charge mode" where the battery symbol turns green and has a lightening bolt next to it, but the DJI GO button stays white and never allows me to "connect to camera". When I connect the cable the correct way, the "charge mode" flashes on briefly(green battery symbol), makes the charging connection sound, but then immediately goes back to "not charging" where the battery symbol turns back to normal (black) and the button on the DJI GO app turns from white to blue, saying "connect to camera" and phantom allows me to connect to it. Perhaps another piece to the puzzle.

Reactions: Phil Tuggle
I'm having the exact same issue with my Motorola G4 + not wanting to connect to the camera.
However it works fine with my Samsung Tablet and my little Sony Xperia; any ideas?

Also are there any real advantages to using either DJI Ultimate or Litchi to the standard DJI Go app?
Here in Australia they are both pretty expensive so i'm umming and ahhing as to whether I should or shouldn't.

Also are there any real advantages to using either DJI Ultimate or Litchi to the standard DJI Go app?
You might find Litchi useful if you're flying lots of waypoint missions.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl