Can I fly over Water

Reaction score
Hi, ive seen some posts about it being a bit dodgy flying over water, is this right as I would like to video our local river and fishing lake.

Of course you can fly over water, at the risk of completely losing your bird if you do something stupid. Nothing different than flying over land otherwise.

Edit: Unless you're talking about flying over water at very low altitudes with VPS enabled... which is pretty much a no-no.

Reactions: mick
Does a bird ask if it can fly over water?
Your Phantom only knows it has air beneath its props and doesn't care what's further down .. whether it's water or solid ground.
Offshore there are no trees to crash into.
5233-9-XL.jpg

Sea%20selfie_2-XL.jpg

Nice Pics Meta4.

They crash in water just like on land- just harder to retrieve..........

Nice Pics Meta4.

They crash in water just like on land- just harder to retrieve..........

Exactly my thought when I decided to venture out over water the first time. If it crashes from 100-400 feet it really doesn't matter if its over land or water except that I am more likely to find it if its over land. Still, the Phantom would be toast either way. As some have found, if it crashes and you recover it you MAY be able to show that it was a phantom error rather than user error and get some level of compensation back from DJI. The reality is that it's just a very very sad day if you crash either on land or water.

Some have put float devices on their phantoms to help them recover in case of a water crash. When I fly over water it is over the Mississippi river in a spot with 8 knot currents so even float devices don't really help me. If it goes for a swim, it's lost.

So, fly responsibly and carefully but enjoy wherever you fly!

Chris

Electronics will be electronics. Anything can happen at anytime. Just hope for the best every flight and be thankful after every flight.

With that said, it kept up with my cruise ship in the middle of no where and flew just fine in Mexico 1500 ft over water.
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1433948791.477647.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1433948818.543471.jpg

Electronics will be electronics. Anything can happen at anytime. Just hope for the best every flight and be thankful after every flight.

With that said, it kept up with my cruise ship in the middle of no where and flew just fine in Mexico 1500 ft over water. View attachment 21616View attachment 21617

Vtecturtle - did you take off from, and land onto the ship while it was under way? Where abouts on the ship did you do this from? It wasn't too gusty, and the crew / passengers didn't have a problem with you doing this? I assume you hand caught it while under partial throttle? Need details! :)
I wouldn't mind bringing my Phantom along for my Thanksgiving cruise with NCL!

Vtecturtle - did you take off from, and land onto the ship while it was under way? Where abouts on the ship did you do this from? It wasn't too gusty, and the crew / passengers didn't have a problem with you doing this? I assume you hand caught it while under partial throttle? Need details! :)
I wouldn't mind bringing my Phantom along for my Thanksgiving cruise with NCL!

I took off from a top deck. Had calibration errors then I calibrated it over my head and took off by hand and hand caught it. No compass issues at all after calibration. It wasn't too windy that day. It was pretty rock solid and stable. Crew and guest were very interested in it and a few approached with questions but no bad attention. I didn't really fly over the boat as well. Took one pass over it but mainly away from it taking pictures. It took a lot of balls to do. Especially with the home point being farther away every second lol. I didn't do it until our way home, made sure I caught epic footage at all our stops first. This was either a fair well flight or more epicness lol. As you can see, more epicness lol.

Does a bird ask if it can fly over water?
Your Phantom only knows it has air beneath its props and doesn't care what's further down .. whether it's water or solid ground.
Offshore there are no trees to crash into.
5233-9-XL.jpg

Sea%20selfie_2-XL.jpg

Those pics are taken with the p3 camera??
I got mine last week, just a few flights for now (first time ever with a drone) but i cant find the pics settings (like time lapse, shuttering etc) , just the exposition with the RC....

I took off from a top deck. Had calibration errors then I calibrated it over my head and took off by hand and hand caught it. No compass issues at all after calibration. It wasn't too windy that day. It was pretty rock solid and stable. Crew and guest were very interested in it and a few approached with questions but no bad attention. I didn't really fly over the boat as well. Took one pass over it but mainly away from it taking pictures. It took a lot of balls to do. Especially with the home point being farther away every second lol. I didn't do it until our way home, made sure I caught epic footage at all our stops first. This was either a fair well flight or more epicness lol. As you can see, more epicness lol.

Not sure I would have the courage to do that!

Not sure I would have the courage to do that!

Not only courage but I've read more than once that [many] cruise lines impound them until at dock/port.

Everyone knows you can't fly hoverboards over water...

Anyone else excited about October 21st?

How's this for 'over water'... Be methodical about your flight prep, fly with control and trust your gear it's an amazing piece of equipment.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl