Can I Fly Here?

Reaction score
I don't have my Part 107 Cert yet so I have a few more restrictions on flying, however, I want to make sure I'm obeying all laws.
A few days ago, I was flying my drone in the area defined in the attached image. When I was done, a guy who was watching asked me how I had gotten authorization to fly there and wondered if I had contacts in any of the towers. That confused me because I thought I was flying legally.

The two area to the east and west are clearly Class B space due to the airports but, from I can on Airmap, there shouldn't be any reason I could not fly there without any special authorization. Under the "Required Rules" section, none of them seem to apply at the current time I wanted to fly.

Can anyone see why I would not be able to fly in this area? I did read through all of the "Required" sections and were applicable at that time.

Thanks in advance.
airmap.png

I went to the location on SkyVector and you seem to be between 2 class D airports and near some MOA's, but I believe that you were perfectly legal to fly there. I would fly there.

edit: I did not mean to imply that you cannot fly in MOA's because you can.
I am looking in the wrong place. Let me try this again

Last edited:
Reactions: dansoto
Ok, so you know to stay out of Lakefront class D.
The Louis Armstrong airport has a Class B from 10,000 to the surface corridor going directly from Armstrong towards Lakefront. Due to some writing on the chart, I can not tell exactly where that corridor ends. Looking at the LAANC maps for the two airports they plan to automatically approve drone altitudes to 400 ft in your area and it does not appear that the surface class B extends beyond 5 miles.

If it were me I would feel good about being able to fly in that area. I would however stay out of the LAANC authorization area shown below. The link will allow you to blow it up as detailed as you want to see your exact flying site. I hope it helps

ArcGIS Web Application
upload_2018-5-6_15-42-0.png

laanc.png
One quick follow up.
I just looked a the LAANC areas you linked. Two of them are areas that would be flying in. So, can I not fly in them until I get my 107 and then am able to request authorization?

Thanks again.

If those are your areas, there is one more thing you should know, and I only mention it in the interest of full disclosure.
My home is literally 500 yards outside of our local Class C airspace. I do not need permission, as a hobbyist or otherwise to fly here. The LAANC map for that airport DOES include my house in one of their 'blocks' because some of the blocks overlap the controlled airspace (square blocks vs. round airspace). So, if your flying site is outside controlled airspace as indicated by the FAA B4U Fly, or other high quality app it may be ok to fly there for the same reason as I can. Just Say'n

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
src72