Bye Bye Vision +

Reaction score
Well it happened to me today... Its gone! I checked everything before I fly, GPS locked and accurate within a few feet of the launch location. Calibrated before I flew. Was flying around at a park and lost connection at about 700 feet away and 300 feet altitude... It was in the direction of the sun so I couldnt look at see it. I was in Naza-m mode and I saw the connection lost come up a few times, then I flick the S1 failsafe and all I saw on my screen was the distance getting farther and farther away. I tried everything to re-gain connection. So after waiting 10 minutes I connected to find my phatom and it located it about 1 mile away. So I went to that area and searched for hours and found nothing. So dont think I will be ordering another after this loss...

Ugh!!! That sucks... Especially since I'm also in the Chicago area. I wonder if the city buildings mess with gps... I know whenever I drive downtown , my car gps goes haywire

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The worst part is I an experienced with this thing and have read every story about Flyaways and never thought it would happen to me.. I wasn't even in a area with lots of tall buildings, just in a park but it ended up according to the GPS in a neighborhood with lots of 3-flat buidings.. The GPS kept telling me it was on the main street but I looked everywhere even climbed onto someone's balcony to look out.. I may go back and see

Sorry for you loss. I had same thing happen to me with original Phantom vision was flying, it flew away and I saw in crash into the harbor I was flying over. Just feel you heart stink when this happens. Just wish they would be able to resolve behavior since put we invest so much money into them. I have since purchased a new vision + just so cautious where I fly it now because just never know when it is going to get a mind of its own.

Just goes to show that even someone who has been flying Quads for over a year and this Vision+ since April 16th can happen. I already engaged return to home and it worked fine in the begining of my flight.. I alaways test it before I fly out of sight. It worked perfect and then toward 40% battery left is when It just decided to take off after flicking S1 and activating return to home. really clueless now to how these flyaways are happening.

Just a warming to anyone if you cant afford to replace it, dont fly FPV out of sight..

midwestjeff said:
Just goes to show that even someone who has been flying Quads for over a year and this Vision+ since April 16th can happen. I already engaged return to home and it worked fine in the begining of my flight.. I alaways test it before I fly out of sight. It worked perfect and then toward 40% battery left is when It just decided to take off after flicking S1 and activating return to home. really clueless now to how these flyaways are happening.

Just a warming to anyone if you cant afford to replace it, dont fly FPV out of sight..

+1

midwestjeff said:
Well it happened to me today... Its gone! I checked everything before I fly, GPS locked and accurate within a few feet of the launch location. Calibrated before I flew. Was flying around at a park and lost connection at about 700 feet away and 300 feet altitude... It was in the direction of the sun so I couldnt look at see it. I was in Naza-m mode and I saw the connection lost come up a few times, then I flick the S1 failsafe and all I saw on my screen was the distance getting farther and farther away. I tried everything to re-gain connection. So after waiting 10 minutes I connected to find my phatom and it located it about 1 mile away. So I went to that area and searched for hours and found nothing. So dont think I will be ordering another after this loss...

Funny how most fly aways seem to be in Naza-m mode. I leave mine in Phantom mode, own a Vision and Vision+ and never any problems whatsoever. Why does everyone feel the need to switch over? I don't see any major advantage myself.

Question on testing RTH: If you turn off the controller to get RTH activated, once the copter comes back, are you supposed to recalibrate the P2V+ again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeremyconk said:

I must be one of those scared people because I have never flown mine out of line of site.... :oops:

Hopefully you had your contact info on your Phantom and perhaps it will one day return to you. keep your fingers crossed.

I fly out of sight and FPV all the time
..but in the case of my flyaway, my goggles were off and my F450 was just a dozen feet off the ground and 20ft away. - I had no control, and RTH (turning off my Tx) didn't work either.

I've come to my own conclusion that the only way to even attempt to recover from a try flyaway is to switch to manual mode and the hopefully gain enough control for a controlled crash landing in a safe spot.
.but I've also added a gps tracker.,. it just isn't worth losing another $1500+ again.

I'm so sorry to hear of another loss, more so from an experienced, careful pilot. I am dreading this happening to me. I have read all the flyaway threads, along with the prevention suggestions. I am flying in NAZA-M, with firmware version 1.08. I go through a pre-flight checklist each time I fly. I enabled manual mode on the S1 switch. What else can be done? I bought myself an insurance policy in the form of a GPS locator, so at least I'll be able to find the Phantom (or what's left of it) if it goes down anywhere but the water (in that case...its a goner).
Safe flying, all.

This is ridiculous. Meaning it seems no matter how careful you are, these things happen. The position this one was at and the position it thought it needed to be were way off. But why? There is always a reason but it is elusive at best. A 3.02 firmware glitch? Something to do with a bug in the area of the code checking for restricted areas? Maybe. The OP is SOL in any case. I hate flying with the fear that I could be next...

My deepest condolences to you Jeff. I hope you find it again.

Meanwhile I will continue on 1.08 with the premise that simpler is usually better.

tedw123 said:
midwestjeff said:

Funny how most fly aways seem to be in Naza-m mode. I leave mine in Phantom mode, own a Vision and Vision+ and never any problems whatsoever. Why does everyone feel the need to switch over? I don't see any major advantage myself.
These stories have actually encouraged me to use NAZA mode as there is no proof that NAZA mode has anything to do with these, and NAZA mode gives you increased control with IOC, home lock, and manual trigger of RTH without shutting off the remote. It appears to me that these NAZA features can actually save your butt as well when used properly. It would be nice if there were better error reporting/logging so that when these events do happen, we have some data points to go back to in order to aid in troubleshooting what may have caused the problem.

I'm having an amazing amount of fun with my new vision+ but I have to admit these stories have me thinking I should park it for a while. It seems more frequent that they seem to be heading home to the mothership.

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss... It really breaks my heart because I know this can happen to anyone of us. All I can say to everyone else out there is... TRACKING TRACKING TRACKING!!! Don't rely on the 'Find my Phantom' feature alone! True, someone else could potentially remove your tracking device and steal it if found; however, it's just one more layer of insurance for your $1300 drone. See my thread for some GPS tracking options and other people's views/comments/experiences...
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=13834

Another helpful thread i've seen is this one:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4955

Thanks guys for the condolences. I miss her already and I just put up some flyers offering a reward if found. For now I guess it's back to dust off my Blade 350QX but still has me boggled to what happened. I am starting to think I should have downgraded firmware. I was running the 3.0.
I think the find my phantom end location is wrong.. I've searched everywhere and really don't think it's right. If I decide to get another one I will def be buying an aftermarket GPS.
I ordered the stage one mod from FPVLR so I feel like i almost have to buy another now that I have two remotes and wifi repeaters!
:)

sorry for you loss, dude..it almost seems that I will be making the same post again but she keeps coming back to home. don't give up!

Sorry for your loss. :(
These stories make the $12.95 a month I pay for tracking sound cheaper all the time.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart