Bye Bye Vision +

eroomomni said:
I hope you and anyone else reading this don't mind my suggestion here, but I will not fly again without a GPS tracker. .

:D totally agree. Even if i can print the greenbacks from my laser printer, i would still go for a gps tracker as an add-on to my phantom.. :D . its a lot of money, time and material invested.

Hey Jeff, got your message ! our flyaways happened at the same time it's kinda scary. We were about 300 miles apart but our flyaways happened at the same time of day! Weird!!! 1:45 pm

Jayford said:
Hey Jeff, got your message ! our flyaways happened at the same time it's kinda scary. We were about 300 miles apart but our flyaways happened at the same time of day! Weird!!! 1:45 pm

Wow, that's scary... Could it be a GPS issue caused by solar activity or military intervention??? conspiracy theorists unite...

Jayford said:

Jeez yea I'm not sure I believe this, I was flying around that timeframe but honestly don't remember exactly.

Yea let the theories continue... Wonder if someone has hacked in and has a backyard full of these :) :D

midwestjeff said:
Jayford said:

Jeez yea I'm not sure I believe this, I was flying around that timeframe but honestly don't remember exactly.

Yea let the theories continue... Wonder if someone has hacked in and has a backyard full of these :) :D

That's crazy... Is there some kind of jamming devices set by the US government everywhere, as usual without public knowledge, that would interfer with gps system of our flying systems ? Is it HAARP being tested again and causing those devices to go insane ? Is there some secret conspiracy planning to actually gather all drones around the US for a future event ? Is it the Earth magnetic poles twitching and switching the controls we have ove our birds ?
That is crazy. Which means it could be true.
Be careful my flying compadres !!!!

:D

midwestjeff said:
Jayford said:
Jeff(OP),

When did yours break up? Did you get the "coming home" message? Mine never did. Your story is very similar to mine. You live close by me it was kinda windy today and did yours fly away with the wind? Or against? Very curious.

No, I got the connection lost message, never said "return to home"

Yea I guess it did follow the wind direction today now that I think about it.. I guess it's possible it lost all gps hold and drifted with the wind.. I have no idea. My last screen on my app shows it sideways in the air about 500 feet up. Crazy crazy

Sorry for your loss but I think this is down to high winds and pilot error I'm afraid. This other post here viewtopic.php?f=27&t=14474&start=20 is the same I think.

HienoKaveri said:
don't you people have insurance for these **** things?

I have just a regular home insurance that also covers up to 5000€ worth of stuff you take outside the house. It she files away, you just pay like 150€ own risk/deductible and insurance covers the rest. and off to order a new bird!

Which insurance company you have? Does it cover wives/girl friends, too? "It she files away"?

;P

Ansel if those fly away you don't want to find them again... no GPS needed :D

I see the NAZA related comments to fly aways but from the stories I have read this does not seem to be a trend as both the phantom and naza systems seem to equally have this issue. I think there are more experienced pilots using NAZA than the Phantom mode thus these units may be in the air more than say joe blow who just bought one for the heck of it.

I would like to see a NAZA vs Phantom mode comparison with these fly aways........... something is wrong and it is not all pilot error I am sure. I felt far better about flying once I mounted my 102 tracker to the lower left landing skid than I did prior to getting this. The $100 per year charge for the pre loaded sim card and the $30 I paid for the tracker is cheap compared to a lost bird.

Being a still shooter I don't range very far from my take off point when in the air and I am usually under 200' up and 200' out. That said I have had a couple instances of for lack of better terms erratic flight characteristics happen for absolutely no apparent reason. When I see this I immediately bring it down and stop flying at that location. I am near **** about pre flight checks and will not go up until all criterial are met. If I lose this I am out of this game because I cannot afford to replace it and have it possibly happen again and again.

Whatever is causing these fly aways I am sure DJI has some idea as to why as they have a lot more data they can compile from all the customer complaints...... even though I have little or no confidence in DJI as a company I would guess if it could be stopped it would of already corrected it with software. Obviously it is a inherent risk to this activity.

I was flying in GPS mode when it flew away. I still do not believe my situation was the wind, I was already flying at many different altitudes few minutes prior to the flyaway and with my hands off the controls it was able to maintain its position even at 600-700 feet. It was my flicking the S1 which caused it to beeline away. I opened my app and I still have the last image I was able to see.. Very weird how all the vitals like speed/alt/distance went away when this happened.

2dbldeo.png

Was it actually behind you and coming toward you like the radar image shows?

DBSAM said:

No that radar image was competley wrong. I always fly with it in front of me and sometimes I pass over my head or straight up and thats when it happened, but the feed would come and go, what I posted was the last info I got from it.

DBSAM said:

hmmm...from the radar screen it looks like it "thought" home was away from the operator. I'm sure you waited for GPS lock before flying, but perhaps it forgot those coordinates and instead chose the last location you flew as the home point. Was it flying in the direction of the location where you flew previous to this flight?

jimdenburg said:
DBSAM said:

hmmm...from the radar screen it looks like it "thought" home was away from the operator. I'm sure you waited for GPS lock before flying, but perhaps it forgot those coordinates and instead chose the last location you flew as the home point. Was it flying in the direction of the location where you flew previous to this flight?

No, it had home correct, I always start my flight trying return home and making sure it works and GPS is accurate.. Only started doing that after I was reading here about other flyaways.. guess that didnt help

It looks to me like it was pointing generally towards home (white dot) and was somewhere between the first and second range rings. Does anyone know the distance for those range rings?

I can tell you I am going to experiment heavily with the radar icon and expanded view and the find my phantom feature. I think I remember a compass pointer on my screen somewhere and being confused with which way it was pointing. In other words I was facing north with my TX and phone but the compass north was not pointing north (straight in front of me). The phantom was facing north on the ground. The phantom icon was aligned with the compass pointer. Hope this makes sense and someone can explain how this icon works.

BlackTracer said:
In other words I was facing north with my TX and phone but the compass north was not pointing north (straight in front of me). The phantom was facing north on the ground. The phantom icon was aligned with the compass pointer. Hope this makes sense and someone can explain how this icon works.

Do you know the meaning of "north" and magnetic declination?

midwestjeff said:
I was flying in GPS mode when it flew away. I still do not believe my situation was the wind, I was already flying at many different altitudes few minutes prior to the flyaway and with my hands off the controls it was able to maintain its position even at 600-700 feet. It was my flicking the S1 which caused it to beeline away. I opened my app and I still have the last image I was able to see.. Very weird how all the vitals like speed/alt/distance went away when this happened.

2dbldeo.png

Hi, Jeff
Listen I just want to say I'm not in anyway attributing any blame to you and anything I say is just me summarising what you have said so that as a community hopefully we can come to some sort of conclusion as to what is happening with our phantoms. Ive had mine taken away with the wind as I posted in depth on Jaylords thread and was luckily able to get it back due to it being a night flight I could just barely still see the aviation lights and posted the video too.
I have a theory,
You said that it was hovering fine with your fingers off the sticks and then when you flicked the s1 switch she took off. It sounds like it went into Atti mode. Presuming you were in naza mode can you tell me what 3 modes did you have the s1 set to in the assistant software and what version of software were you running?
The reason I ask is I recently updated my assistant software to v3.0. Before I updated I had my s1 set to top: GPS middle:ATTI bottom:RTH. After I updated I noticed it was set back to default of GPS, ATTI and ATTI. Im just wondering could this have happened to you but you didnt realise it went back to s1 GPS, ATTI, ATTI and then when you thought you were flicking s1 down to the bottom position you thought you were activating RTH but in fact it could have been in ATTI and she just kept going with the wind up until it was too far out of reach that turning the tx off did no good because your phantom was too far away by then?
Now its just a theory but its something I could see happening very easily and something people should be very aware of. If its not at least its something we can rule out.

Mal.

midwestjeff said:
DBSAM said:

No that radar image was competley wrong. I always fly with it in front of me and sometimes I pass over my head or straight up and thats when it happened, but the feed would come and go, what I posted was the last info I got from it.

seems that may be it right their, GPS error, Phantom was reporting it was in a location it was not.

AnselA said:
BlackTracer said:
In other words I was facing north with my TX and phone but the compass north was not pointing north (straight in front of me). The phantom was facing north on the ground. The phantom icon was aligned with the compass pointer. Hope this makes sense and someone can explain how this icon works.

Do you know the meaning of "north" and magnetic declination?
Maybe I should have been more specific. When I say the compass wasn't facing north, it was facing like southeast. Not just a little off like north vs magnetic north. This is my issue with my phone and the phantom. Do me a favor and don't comment on any of my posts unless you have something useful to offer.

midwestjeff said:

2dbldeo.png

Like midwestjeff, on my flyaway the radar was way off, and the final screen showed the camera tilted compared to the horizon.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dragonslair