Bye Bye Vision +

Dirty Bird said:
I worry about the popups. I flew at my cousin's house last week and it is within 5 miles of BWI airport. There was a popup warning that I was height restricted. First time I have seen that...no biggie. But as I was flying, if FPV dropped out for a moment the popup would return, and it hard crashed the app, or more specifically my Wi-Fi extender. I rebooted the phone...still no video. Had to reboot the Extender to get FPV back!

i believe it that the dji apps needs extensive testing, on all certified tested andriod and ios. then they can warrant that teir apps is certified to work nomally under the following conditions(ie. fpv signal not completely lost or obstructed, not in area of thick n dense trees...etc etc) for these andriod models...Samsung a, b, c....Apple 1, 2, 3, 4S , etc etc. DJI will continuously certify other device model/brand'...something like that.

XL-Studios said:
Same style of warning as with low-battery would be optimal!
In any case AWARENESS of this issue will help ALOT!
Is you Phantom flying away and out of control? Check satellites and switch to ATTI ASAP!
I totally agree. Sound the alarm at my *** under these conditions:
-- I had home position when I took off.
-- My sat count is now < 6
Make my sat icon red while sounding the alarm and showing the red outline on the app.

Now pray you don't lose SATs then fpv as it drifts away and is out of LOS. otherwise known as a flyaway.

Cocoa Beach Kiter said:
Jayford said:
Hey Jeff, got your message ! our flyaways happened at the same time it's kinda scary. We were about 300 miles apart but our flyaways happened at the same time of day! Weird!!! 1:45 pm

Wow, that's scary... Could it be a GPS issue caused by solar activity or military intervention??? conspiracy theorists unite...

I am sorry this is happening to so many,, My only comment is I believe Cell phone use may cause these crashes,, First off the calibration instructions state not to have electronic car keys or Cell phones near by while calibration is being performed.. How far away should they be? Metal parking structures, Railroad tracks, cement with rebar are all listed as negative. How far away should you be? Soooo, my point is you have a cell phone in the TX holder to view the first person vision,, doesn't that sound like a conflict? :shock:

PS: Because of this conflict I switched to my Ipad mini which is wifi only.. ;)

Trying to lighten up the conversation with a laugh,, :lol: Could this be related to the new 24 tv program,, Hackers overriding the software program and controlling your drones.. A new thief program app,, "Send your Drone to me"

JWDrone said:
Trying to lighten up the conversation with a laugh,, :lol: Could this be related to the new 24 tv program,, Hackers overriding the software program and controlling your drones.. A new thief program app,, "Send your Drone to me"

That's already happening... See HERE via Arstechnica.

What do you use for a GPS tracker?
I have my address, tel# written in sharpy on mine and a note saying there is a reward for its return. Better a few $$ than $1500

proximo said:
So it happened - my less than 2 week old Vision Plus flew the coop and is gone.

Here's exactly what happened. The night before I upgraded firmware to 3.0.2. The next day took the Vision out for a flight near my home - which is in a rural, wooded area. There had been a storm earlier in the day but now the air was perfectly calm. There were low clouds (~1500 ft). After getting a satellite lock and green flashing lights I took her up. Flew around at around 600 ft and triggered return-to-home feature. As she had done on every other flight (probably logged 40 flights so far) she dutifully flew back and landed. I decided to go back up with about 70% battery left. I turned the Phantom off at the battery and back on.

Again, I got green flashing lights with 7 satellites (had 11 once I got off the ground). Flew up a short distance and hovered - all was great. Decided to fly up and film some of the low clouds - started video recording. Flew up slowly directly above me - not moving it in any direction. A friend was there looking on and we were stunned by the beautiful clouds. Got up to around 1800 ft and hovered there. About 3 minutes past when I noticed to my horror the distance indicator at 3000ft!!! (I had previously only made it about 2000ft distance away) I was completely shocked and suddenly felt sick. I knew the battery level was draining - currently at 38%. I initiated RTH by switching the controller off. It started coming back but then lost connection. It regained wifi connection briefly and lost it again. That was the last I saw of it.

I checked the Find my Phantom feature and raced to the location it gave. There was nothing there. The Phantom still had a wifi connection but could not give me camera or SD card access. We searched the heavily wooded area for hours with no luck. We returned that night hoping to see the lights but again nothing. Went out the next day and walked the entire 3000+ feet between launch area and that location - nothing.

I understand what I did wrong - I should not have flow up with less than 100% battery. I should have been watching the distance indicator (but I was so used the the rock-solid hover function and GPS stabilized flight). I should have bought a separate GPS tracker (I trusted the Find my Phantom feature would be accurate). Given the distance and battery level I should have tried to land it - gone straight down instead of letting it auto-pilot back.

I keep wondering though what the real cause of this was. I don't understand how it travelled away so stinking fast! It's possible that even though the air was perfectly still there were very swift winds at higher altitudes. If that were the case the winds would have to be very powerful to push the Phantom that far that fast - 3000 feet in 3-4 minutes. OR the Phantom had a GPS problem and flew north as fast as it could.

I've thought about buying another Phantom to go out and fly the same course the lost one was flying. Thought there could be a small possibility of seeing it from the air this way. Can you buy a Phantom without controller and battery anywhere? Should I contact DJI and report this? Would they do anything? Any other advice would be welcome.

Hey, sorry to hear! This sounds very similar to my flyaway.. If you were flying at those heights it is possible the winds took it but usually its not that windy when you have low clouds like that unless a storm is approaching.

I really think Firmware 1.08 is the safest and thats what Im flying now! who really knows though! :roll:

yeah..sorry to hear it. hope u do get it back somehow. if you decide to get another one, just include a reliable and accurate 3rd party gps tracker in the cost. And fully charge both the phantom and gps tracker battery as well before each use.

maxflight said:
What do you use for a GPS tracker?
I have my address, tel# written in sharpy on mine and a note saying there is a reward for its return. Better a few $$ than $1500

That's a great idea... Now if a burglar finds it, they have your address & phone number to make sure you're not at home :roll:

I have my email & phone number on mine along with a Pocketfinder tracker. Phone & email is enough info to contact you.

I signaled this guy (his page) to shapeways.com and have sent them a screenshot of all his spam posts... Think they will take action against him ;)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl