Bye Bye Vision +

most flyaway video's ive seen seem almost like a gyro issue, the drone just tilts to one side like a bat out of hell. However on these screenshots the phantom is tilted and the gyro reflects that accurately. One thing that could possibly do this if gps , compass and gyro are all accurate and working could be a power failure to a single motor. If a connection to one of the motors fails I would think this is exactly what would be happening. It would quickly tilt to one side flying fast and crazy, the phantom would then try to auto correct by increasing power to the failed motor and lowering power to the opposite motor.

I'm not thinking it would be the actual motor failing rather it would more likely be the wire's leading to the motor or a bad solder point.

I would try to find it once again. Open up Google Maps and plot your location of where you were and then were it was when you last had signal. Also if you know which way the wind was blowing you can factor that in. If you were at 40% you only had a couple of minutes left of flying time so I would try looking in the direction of the wind. You can also see which way it was going in the screenshot if you weren't giving it control at that point. Good luck.

I had something similar happen to me also. Did compass calibration and tested RTH at beginning of flight. Lost sight so I flipped into IOC Home and pulled back on the stick waiting for my P2V to come back. Nothing. Flipped into RTH. Nothing. I then drove about a half mile into the direction I flew it, with the wind. I got of my car and pointed my WiFi extender where I thought it might be and I got a screenshot of it for a second. I took a snapshot of the screenshot from the App so I could use it to help me find it. It was about 20 feet high over a house in the screenshot. I then used the radar function to drive around and find it. I found it sitting next to a parked car in the street. I was recording video and reviewed it when I got home. From what I gather is the P2V lost the home point in the NAZA somehow and thought home was somewhere else. I just kept yawing and eventually landed due to low battery.

Here is more info on that incident.
http://phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6235

ZonComGMZ said:
I had something similar happen to me also. Did compass calibration and tested RTH at beginning of flight. Lost sight so I flipped into IOC Home and pulled back on the stick waiting for my P2V to come back. Nothing. Flipped into RTH. Nothing. I then drove about a half mile into the direction I flew it, with the wind. I got of my car and pointed my WiFi extender where I thought it might be and I got a screenshot of it for a second. I took a snapshot of the screenshot from the App so I could use it to help me find it. It was about 20 feet high over a house in the screenshot. I then used the radar function to drive around and find it. I found it sitting next to a parked car in the street. I was recording video and reviewed it when I got home. From what I gather is the P2V lost the home point in the NAZA somehow and thought home was somewhere else. I just kept yawing and eventually landed due to low battery.

Here is more info on that incident.
http://phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6235
to me everything about your video points to the phantom not being able to return due to wind speeds being way to high.

and when you have a high wind speed blowing at the right angle against the phantom you will get that issue where the wind forces the phantom to rotate. That thing was fighting its hardest to go back home, then towards the end it looks like maybe S1 got flipped to attitude mode and it leveled out and started blowing with the wind, but then it quickly switched back to RTH, fighting the wind staying pretty much stationary until it comes down due to lack of battery.

Thats morebor less what happened to mine and it was purely down to higher winds aloft.
Pv2 caught In wind, nearly didnt get her back.: http://youtu.be/80fevhI2cs4

Even down to doing the spins except mine seemed to do almost perfect 360s and stop and then do it again a few more times.
It was like your phantom knew where the roof of the house and the car bonnet were :)

midwestjeff said:
Well it happened to me today... Its gone! I checked everything before I fly, GPS locked and accurate within a few feet of the launch location. Calibrated before I flew. Was flying around at a park and lost connection at about 700 feet away and 300 feet altitude... It was in the direction of the sun so I couldnt look at see it. I was in Naza-m mode and I saw the connection lost come up a few times, then I flick the S1 failsafe and all I saw on my screen was the distance getting farther and farther away. I tried everything to re-gain connection. So after waiting 10 minutes I connected to find my phatom and it located it about 1 mile away. So I went to that area and searched for hours and found nothing. So dont think I will be ordering another after this loss...

There is no way in "find my phantom" it is 1 mile away. In this session, it only records the last gps location your phantom sent to your iphone. So, the position it records is transmitted from phantom to your iphone. But,, the wifi range cannot be 1 mile.

I don;t believe that.

I have a Phantom2 Vision+ and have not had any such incident. Having said that however, I don't fly it in NAZA mode. I have also taken a precaution should such a fly-away occur, I have fitted a 'Pet tracker' GPS to it. It cost around $60 and has a SIM card in it and can be tracked down anywhere in the world via smart phone! **Remove the magnet from the pet-tracker if it has one**

Aqeel200 said:
Mori55 said:
Aqeel200 said:
thanks randall. yes, it is pricey and furthermore I am a Malaysian Phantom newbie...the link that I showed is quite reputable here with lots of car theft recovery history - only about <USD50. But i worry about the magnetic casing.

edit

both product (TRAX and the link i showed) have the same function. In my location, I just need to subscribe to a sim card either prepaid/postpaid.

another link. interesting as it is also available in the US.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUWz6FQfXN0
hope it's a better tracker than flight 270 had. Can't believe they can't find that plane.

yeah..its mind bongling and unbelievable that MH370 could go missing without a trace. Hope it can be found.

Likewise, I am taking all the necessary precaution so as to be able to retrieve my P2V+ in case it a flyaway and gotten lost....

imprint on my phantom "if found, please call xxx-xxx-xxxx to return it and collect your reward"...huhuhuhu.

Now my P2V+ is grounded for the time being till I get the GPS tracker in, and also double check impact/risk latest software version that I have upgraded a couple of days ago[some forumers says dont upgrade - i am still confused with the versioning)] & on the Naza mode which my LHS configure it.

got my Global GPS Tracker TK-102. tested it outside my house and it is quite accurate. Through Waze, Google and a few others, it shows i am around the 3rd house in a 5 houses block, which i where i am...quite accurate, a matter of a few meters maybe. Only thing was that the on-off button did not work. Called the seller, seller says it (immediately and confidently) was done on purpose because manufacturer have decided to disable the on-off button....too many complain about it. Seller said I can treat it like a phone - charge it while the phone is is in on position, should not pose a problem.

nonetheless, the global GPS tracker works giving me confidence and I can fly my P2V+ with a little more comfort now in case of flyaway...just minimizing risk of total loss.

You going to test it out some more looks pretty cheap , how much a month ? Does it come with a SIM card !

yeah. intend to test it this weekend or so... will keep you posted. i dont fly far tho..not yet as i am still a newbie..just 5 flight to date.

just the tracker. sim n subscription not included and separate. for gps, i dont think u need data services activated.

Where did u get it ? I've seen all kinds of prices , so I'm assuming clones ?
What the subscription cost and were did you get from.

Confirm there TK-102 clones flying around in the market. I also cannot confirm if mine is clone or not. But seller confirmed his was original and compare his ori with rhe clone ones..what are the differences in his asvertised selling site.

Btw, I m in Malaysia and seller I bought from is also from malaysia.

Edit: correction. we were talking about Global Tracker TK-102/b

Mori55 said:
Never saw a phantom clone.

there are Phantom clones in Malaysia just recently. Since there are shortage of P2V+ (as a pilot/first shipment, the distributor here have only 12 units in the whole of Malaysia at the moment), some consumer are opting for the clone..because marketing was done well and its popular, it tells the public that phantom DJI are soo **** easy and cool!! Shortage of phantoms over here in particular the P2V+.

Dont know if the phantom clone has hit the US Streets or any other country. As per my msg somewhere in this forum, buying the phantom clone is 100% risk on consumer as the support is ZERO!. yes it is cheaper by 30% or so. Internals, i dont know if it is identical or not. I will try and get more info on it and maybe pics if it is available on somewhere on the net so as we know of its existence in the market.

Global Tracker TK-102 test no. 2

1. Clear sunny day.
2. Tracker is in the house where phone signal is still good
3. I called in from my work place.
4. SMS returned with lat/long links.
5. Open waze map
Result: It shows me that the location of the Global Tracker is about 5km from my house
6. Open Google map.
Result: same as above.

took the Global Tracker and put it outside of the house and retest from step 1.

5. Open WAZE - it was accurate as last nite. it shows exactly where the Global Tracker TK102 should be - at my house with the address
6. Open Googlemap - ditto. it shows exactly where the Global Tracker TK102 should be - at my house with the address

Conclusion for this test only:
In case of a flyaway and it landed somewhere where GPS signal is bad, the Global Tracker TK-102 GPS signal is insufficient, then the location is not accurate. This may be so if when a flyaway occurs, it end up landing somewhere that is not open-air or have signal blocking it...then if you go to the location given, you may not find your phantom.

In case of a flyaway, we just hope that it has sufficient GPS signal(or triangulation) needed to be accurate. If someone were to find it and bring it home before we can get to it, and the GPS signal(triangulation) needed is insufficient, then we may be misled into looking for it at the wrong place. In this case, we can just hope that the person finds it can have the courtesy to give me(my phone number is written on the phantom) a call to return it and collect his reward.

This is just my test and conclusion about the Global Tracker TK-102 and is not referring to DJI GPS Tracking capability nor any other brand of GPS tracker.

just sharing.

come to think of it, who is cloning who here between the two. As bad as the support from DJI here as well as globally, support from CX20 over here is zero..buy at your own risk.

Aqeel200 said:
Global Tracker TK-102 test no. 2

1. Clear sunny day.
5. Open waze map
Result: It shows me that the location of the Global Tracker is about 5km from my house
6. Open Google map.
Result: same as above.

took the Global Tracker and put it outside of the house and retest from step 1.

5. Open WAZE - it was accurate as last nite. it shows exactly where the Global Tracker TK102 should be - at my house with the address
6. Open Googlemap - ditto. it shows exactly where the Global Tracker TK102 should be - at my house with the address

Conclusion for this test only:
In case of a flyaway and it landed somewhere where GPS signal is bad, the Global Tracker TK-102 GPS signal is insufficient, then the location is not accurate. This may be so if when a flyaway occurs, it end up landing somewhere that is not open-air or have signal blocking it...then if you go to the location given, you may not find your phantom.

In case of a flyaway, we just hope that it has sufficient GPS signal(or triangulation) needed to be accurate. If someone were to find it and bring it home before we can get to it, and the GPS signal(triangulation) needed is insufficient, then we may be misled into looking for it at the wrong place. In this case, we can just hope that the person finds it can have the courtesy to give me(my phone number is written on the phantom) a call to return it and collect his reward.

This is just my test and conclusion about the Global Tracker TK-102 and is not referring to DJI GPS Tracking capability nor any other brand of GPS tracker.

just sharing.

3rd simple Global Tracker Test

1. Clear sunny day.

the TK-102 is near a closed house window inside my house...no thick drapes or sofa blocking it but still considered inside the house. Only thing blocking from clear sky is the car porch.

5. Open WAZE - My phone GPS really shows my house as the location of the phone accurately. But the Global Tracker is located in the house infront of mine, across the street.

6. Open Googlemap - ditto.

Blue dot shows my Phone location, maybe off by 1/2 a house. The red shows the location of the GPS Tracker TK-102

Seems accuracy has improved when placing the TK-102 near a window only blocked by the car porch compared to when the tracker is deep in the house.

How does this test relates to flyaway? Maybe not...different scenario altogether..

just sharing

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-05-09-16-14-30 v2.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-05-09-16-14-30 v2.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 532

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic