Bye Bye Vision +

srandall25 said:
tedw123 said:
Funny how most fly aways seem to be in Naza-m mode. I leave mine in Phantom mode, own a Vision and Vision+ and never any problems whatsoever. Why does everyone feel the need to switch over? I don't see any major advantage myself.
These stories have actually encouraged me to use NAZA mode as there is no proof that NAZA mode has anything to do with these, and NAZA mode gives you increased control with IOC, home lock, and manual trigger of RTH without shutting off the remote. It appears to me that these NAZA features can actually save your butt as well when used properly. It would be nice if there were better error reporting/logging so that when these events do happen, we have some data points to go back to in order to aid in troubleshooting what may have caused the problem.
I see the advantages of NAZA mode but, like tedw, also see how so many of the reports of fly-aways being in NAZA mode and have to wonder myself if a bug or SOMETHING in this firmware relating to NAZA is to blame.

I'd say that I'd love to know if fly-aways are more common in NAZA mode vs Phantom mode but it seems a vast majority use NAZA so the results would be worthless.

Has anyone here had a fly-away in Phantom mode? Just 1 yes would blow up that theory... lol.

midwestjeff said:
Well it happened to me today... Its gone! I checked everything before I fly, GPS locked and accurate within a few feet of the launch location. Calibrated before I flew. Was flying around at a park and lost connection at about 700 feet away and 300 feet altitude... It was in the direction of the sun so I couldnt look at see it. I was in Naza-m mode and I saw the connection lost come up a few times, then I flick the S1 failsafe and all I saw on my screen was the distance getting farther and farther away. I tried everything to re-gain connection. So after waiting 10 minutes I connected to find my phatom and it located it about 1 mile away. So I went to that area and searched for hours and found nothing. So dont think I will be ordering another after this loss...

Jeff I am really saddened by your loss. I remember your first video of the Chicago skyline...so cool. I would go back and search again. Hopefully you had your contact info on the Phantom and someone will be kind enough to return it. Perhaps it is on a rooftop or hung in a tree you just didn't see it? Mine has been working fine, but this is exactly the reason I ordered the Trax. I really hope she turns up intact.

midwestjeff said:
Just a warming to anyone if you cant afford to replace it, dont fly FPV out of sight..

Doesn't really matter it its a mile out or 10' in front of you if it looses connection and decides to go on a walkabout.... :(

Jeff(OP),

When did yours break up? Did you get the "coming home" message? Mine never did. Your story is very similar to mine. You live close by me it was kinda windy today and did yours fly away with the wind? Or against? Very curious.

Mav456 said:
This is why I sold and am out if the hobby. Had a dozen crashes mostly tree branches. The P2v was a tank but when I sold it and went to a p2 with zenmuse the crashes destroyed the gimbal every time. Also the added weight broke the phantom arms also. After many crashes and one partial flyaway from

That's pilot error, defined.

Mav456 said:
This is why I sold and am out if the hobby. Had a dozen crashes mostly tree branches. The P2v was a tank but when I sold it and went to a p2 with zenmuse the crashes destroyed the gimbal every time. Also the added weight broke the phantom arms also. After many crashes and one partial flyaway from

I can hear what your saying. I don't blame people for giving up on the hobby, it's a lot of $$$ to risk on a fly-away.
It's definitely one of those pay-to-play deals.

Jayford said:
Jeff(OP),

When did yours break up? Did you get the "coming home" message? Mine never did. Your story is very similar to mine. You live close by me it was kinda windy today and did yours fly away with the wind? Or against? Very curious.

No, I got the connection lost message, never said "return to home"

Yea I guess it did follow the wind direction today now that I think about it.. I guess it's possible it lost all gps hold and drifted with the wind.. I have no idea. My last screen on my app shows it sideways in the air about 500 feet up. Crazy crazy

Mav456 said:
Not recalibrating the compass witch resulted in a crash landing, I lost all confidence. Maybe if it was 300 but 1300 flying around makes me to nervous. To the point it's unenjoyable. I'm just waiting for disaster

Not being mean, but these are pilot errors, NOT Phantom errors. My rule is always fly higher than the things around me, to avoid hitting something, and in case a Failsafe is triggered. Gimbals break in a crash because they are delicate pieces of hardware. I'm sorry you've had a bad experience, but a reasonable amount of caution and preparation would likely have prevented your accidents.

Mav456 said:
It's just to easy to crash these things, when trying to get shots.

That should be "It's easy to crash these things if you are like I am, when trying to get shots."

Again, pilot error on your part.

Many folks are able to "get shots" without crashing all over the place like you admit to doing.

huhuhuhu..scary..Sorry to hear of your loss dude.

As a newbie, I am grounding my P2V+ till I get a GPS tracker with SIM card. Will attempt to install it 'inside' the V+ if possible, without the tracker casing if needed/necessary.

Maybe I will try and leave the tracker casing and seal it for waterproof of put it in a ballon, in case it goes underwater - i can still track it.

edit.

the one i am getting comes with a waterproof casing.

But I got a Q..it seems to have a magnetic casing. does this impact anything like compas or any of the sensors. here is the link..just ignore the first part and scroll to the product description. Hope some Phantom oldie(hehehe) can give some guide to a newbie like myself.

http://www.lelong.com.my/genuine-mini-g ... Sale-I.htm

edit: the magnet cover is an option n to be used if you want to stick to a metal part of your car..ie. hidden underneath the dashboard.

the tk-102 seems to be a good workable option or any equivalent working model to protect(not 100% but good enuff) our investment on the Phantom.

Aqeel200 said:
huhuhuhu..scary..Sorry to hear of your loss dude.

As a newbie, I am grounding my P2V+ till I get a GPS tracker with SIM card. Will attempt to install it 'inside' the V+ if possible, without the tracker casing if needed/necessary.

Maybe I will try and leave the tracker casing and seal it for waterproof of put it in a ballon, in case it goes underwater - i can still track it.
I ordered this one: http://www.traxfamily.com. It's water resistant but not waterproof. Somewhat pricey, but includes 2 full years of service. A lot of others want $13 per month and others that were cheaper didn't seem to have as reliable reports on them. There are many options and this one is new without many reports as of yet, so myself and Dirty Bird will be the beta testers.. lol

thanks randall. yes, it is pricey and furthermore I am a Malaysian Phantom newbie...the link that I showed is quite reputable here with lots of car theft recovery history - only about <USD50. But i worry about the magnetic casing.

edit

both product (TRAX and the link i showed) have the same function. In my location, I just need to subscribe to a sim card either prepaid/postpaid.

another link. interesting as it is also available in the US.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUWz6FQfXN0

Aqeel200 said:
thanks randall. yes, it is pricey and furthermore I am a Malaysian Phantom newbie...the link that I showed is quite reputable here with lots of car theft recovery history - only about <USD50. But i worry about the magnetic casing.

edit

both product (TRAX and the link i showed) have the same function. In my location, I just need to subscribe to a sim card either prepaid/postpaid.
ah yes, it looks to be the TK-102... you can google that.. I didn't see them list that model for it but the picture is exactly like it. There are some folks on here using it... If you haven't already seen this thread, check out the second message on it... someone's review of the TK-102: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=13834

Sorry for your loss.

I am very close to spending around 3k to buy into this adventure.... this stuff makes me a bit nervous. I have put off ordering a Phantom for about 4 weeks because I am at the bottom of the learning curve. I doubt that I will pull the trigger this week.... need more study.

I hope you get lucky and get her back.

check this out. this one will not be in my list in getting a gps tracker even though it is posted last year. this was supported by the 5 gps tracker comparison that the A8 is not a true GPS tracker..its off by 5km radius..how are we going to find our phantom in a 5 km radius...crazy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6lmlkNqIm0

i am getting the TK-102 today..20gram heavier than A8.

Aqeel200 said:

edit

hope it's a better tracker than flight 270 had. Can't believe they can't find that plane.

tedw123 said:
Why does everyone feel the need to switch over? I don't see any major advantage myself.

Course and home lock. When you start filming fast moving objects and want to pay attention to your screen and framing the shot and not what the PV is doing you will understand...

You can't fly and film at the same time.

Mori55 said:
Aqeel200 said:

edit

hope it's a better tracker than flight 270 had. Can't believe they can't find that plane.

yeah..its mind bongling and unbelievable that MH370 could go missing without a trace. Hope it can be found.

Likewise, I am taking all the necessary precaution so as to be able to retrieve my P2V+ in case it a flyaway and gotten lost....

imprint on my phantom "if found, please call xxx-xxx-xxxx to return it and collect your reward"...huhuhuhu.

Now my P2V+ is grounded for the time being till I get the GPS tracker in, and also double check impact/risk latest software version that I have upgraded a couple of days ago[some forumers says dont upgrade - i am still confused with the versioning)] & on the Naza mode which my LHS configure it.

MidwestJeff, Really sorry to read your story. I've been there, just recently losing a TBS Discovery Pro with a GoPro 3 Black. I also lost a fixed wing with camera years ago. No matter who you are, it's a lot of money and if not $, it's a lot of time and care that went into your passion. I feel for you man.
At this point, I trust nothing related to RC aircraft. Planes have redundancy for the unexpected. For that reason, I rarely fly over houses, people or streets. I hope you and anyone else reading this don't mind my suggestion here, but I will not fly again without a GPS tracker. I posted this thought on other threads so pardon my repeating myself. If anyone is as paranoid as I am about ANY kind of mishap, please consider a tracking device. I do not represent this product and don't care if anyone feels their suggestion is better than mine or criticize the expense of a GPS subscription. I don't feel the issue is a flyaway. It just happens. I do, however want to guard my investment and hopefully never again lose the amount of $ that I did in my last loss. It was probably the most expensive quad I'll ever buy. Not because of the components on the quad, but the time, stress, blood, sweat and tears that I put into that thing.
I think a lot of people may be reading this thread due to its title. Jeff, and others if you're gonna come back to the game, please consider a tracker and ID on the aircraft. I hope you find it. For those interested in what I use, watch the last part of my video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxSEXDYP4tE
Again, sorry to hear your disappointing news.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.