Buying new tablet, what works the best?

The Air 3 Cellular will be released very soon, & well worth the painstaking wait. Hang on to your hard earned cash, it will be here before long. It will be thee big Boss, so plan on it lasting you a good while.;-)

RedHotPoker

Apple has made no mention of an update to the iPad Air, it's widely believed we won't see a new iPad Air until next fall, skipping their traditional annual update cycle. The mini 4 released recently, and the iPad pro is releasing in November, but no official or unofficial report that we will see the regular iPad Air updating anytime soon.

I will add that the Air 2 is a much better experience than the mini for me. I enjoy the larger screen and have yet to use my sunshade with the the Air 2, in that it has the integrated antiglare coating.

Most people who have a wifi only ipad, tether their phones to their ipad to download maps and use the phones GPS for home position. The iPad with cellular has its own GPS so there's no tethering necessary. That being said, you don't need an active cellular / data account on a cellular ipad to use the GPS, function.

I appreciate your comment on GPS. Before I make an iPad purchase with cellular, which'll cost an extra $100+, are you absolutely sure an iPad with cellular doesn't need service in order to utilize the GPS? It makes sense, don't get me wrong. And I believe you, but I'm penny pinching so I want to make sure this is true. Thanks.

I use an Air 2 Cellular without a Cellular network, GPS works just fine, without a SIM card. ;-)
As far as a release date for the Air 3, only Apple insiders can know such secrecy. But there is certainly plenty of speculation and much anticipation from the eager interested loyal followers. Like me. Hehe
An iPad Air 3 or iPad Seven, looks too good, to pass up. When ever it eventually becomes available. I can wait, my Air 2 works great.
There are many webpages with info that can't be refuted.

Apple iPad Air 3 release Date, features, Specs, price, All thing we want to know

Poor iPad Air 3. The iPad Pro is getting so much hype that it may be pushed back to 2016

Apple iPad Air 3 getting ready to boom

http://www.knowyourmobile.com/tablets/apple-ipad-air-3/23303/apple-ipad-air-3-specs-details-emerge

Certainly looks inviting, for us @dji Phantom Pilots particularly.

I still say it will be released very soon.

RedHotPoker

I appreciate your comment on GPS. Before I make an iPad purchase with cellular, which'll cost an extra $100+, are you absolutely sure an iPad with cellular doesn't need service in order to utilize the GPS? It makes sense, don't get me wrong. And I believe you, but I'm penny pinching so I want to make sure this is true. Thanks.
Take a look at this high level overview of different options.

Tablets and phones that work well with DJI GO | Page 21 | DJI Phantom Forum

Last edited:
I am on my third iPad mini, WiFi only (just upgraded to the 4.) I've used an external GPS in my airplane with each iPad for years now. My first one was a $100 Dual XPS150. Works great and now lives with my Phantom since I upgraded to a XGPS170 with ADS-B for the plane. Tethering to my iPhone data is easy and also works great. So, IMHO, save some money, invest in an external GPS and when you go to upgrade your tablet save money again. The only downside is one more device to charge and a little more complication when you want to use it (you have to connect to it via bluetooth.)

Take a look at this high level overview of different options. Forgive me if you have seen it before since I have posted it to the forum numerous times. Please let me know if I have inadvertently misrepresented or omitted something.

Wifi only iPad (no internet access in the field)
* Can fly with maps if the maps are cached in advance
* No access to new maps in the field
* No LIVE STREAMING
* No Follow Me
* No Dynamic Home Point

Wifi only iPad (tethered for internet)
* No Follow Me
* No Dynamic Home Point
* Can access new maps in the field
* Can use LIVE STREAMING, but likely not well.

Wifi only iPad with an external GPS
* No LIVE STREAMING
* Can use Follow Me
* Can use Dynamic Home Point
* GPS more accurate
* Cell version not needed every time you upgrade iPad
* One more thing to charge and carry

Cellular iPad with no data plan
* No LIVE STREAMING
* Can use Follow Me

Cellular iPad (no data plan, tethered for internet)
* Can use LIVE STREAMING, but likely not well.
* Can use Follow Me

Cellular iPad (with data plan)
* Can use LIVE STREAMING
* Can use Follow Me

Tethering your phone to a wifi only iPad does not share the phone's GPS. If you want to use the functions that require GPS at or near the RC, you might consider an external (bluetooth) GPS with a wifi only tablet. There are many threads on the topic. It seems that the most talked about here on the forum are Bad Elf, Dual and the Garmin GLO. Just search and you will see plenty to read for research if you want to look into that option.

One thing to watch for: iOS 8.3 broke the ability for an external GPS to transfer data. It was fixed with iOS 8.4 and later, and still works in iOS 8.2 and earlier. It is only iOS 8.3 with the issue.

Also, Android tablets almost always have built in GPS so they are another option to consider. I use an Air 2 as you can see in my signature below.

*Note: the term 'Dynamic Home Point' is used here since that is a common way to refer to that function. Remember that the home point is not actually dynamically changing. You must manually change the static home point to a new static home point.

That is awesome. Thank you VERY much. Makes my decision easy. I appreciate your help!! And everyone else that helped, thanks!

Reactions: Oso
The factory box that my phantom came in states that it's made for iPhone/iPad. Says nothing about android!

Android all the way. Best setup is Samsung Galaxy phone running Foxfi wifi to my tablet on Verizon's network. I do this with a cheap Nexus tablet ($50) and works fine. No additional charges and plenty of bandwidth for streaming.

Yes, only the cellular ones have GPS/GLONASS
External blutooth is miles better and more accurate. Don't know if any phone accually has GLONASS as they often use cheap gps chips.

An external on is not only more accurate but gives better options and quality as well as GLONASS if you want. Don't know any phone that has GLONASS

I use my iPhone 6 Plus.
It's screen is true hd.
And is big enough to see great.

I use my iPhone 6 Plus.
It's screen is true hd.
And is big enough to see great.
Was hoping to read someone using a 6+. Am waiting for xmas specials to get my 1st drone, P3A. Currently am using a 6+ so looks like I am good to go to get started.

Was hoping to read someone using a 6+. Am waiting for xmas specials to get my 1st drone, P3A. Currently am using a 6+ so looks like I am good to go to get started.

I use a 6 Plus and a Note 4 Edge. Neither have issues I've noticed and both perform well.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart