Buying new tablet, what works the best?

Thanks. I have to admit, I've since gone to a cellular version of the iPad Air 2. I took my non cellular version back and bought a great condition cell version on swappa. Saved some $ and got more tech. [emoji2].

Thanks,
Mark.

HaHa, You're in the big leagues now, and you won't regret the upgrade. It's just better all around. Faster processing, better screen with anti glare. I am not using my iPad Air 2 for anything but the Pilot App. So it will remain running smooth.
Thanks to all who suggested it, as being a best for the application.

RedHotPoker

I am using an iPad Air 2 w/cellular 64gb and it has worked well, but only flown 12 times. No lag, no flight control problems. Only problem I've noticed is when de-selecting location in director app the pilot app closes. Also, moving clips around in the director app won't change the sequence it plays them like it should.

I just purchased a nexus 7 (2013 model) so far it's great. I was using my Nexus 9 but found it to be to heavy and awkward. Also I hear folks talking about a cellular option but I find that as long as you are able to tether your phone to your tablet it works great.

First post and sorry to revive an old thread but I'll be getting a P3P soon and will be picking up a new tablet (love new gadgets!) to go along with it. Been reading on the site for the past 3 days and I am sure I got a lot more to learn.

From what I been reading on here the IPad Air 2 or mostly the iOS platform seems to be the way to go due to support for the DJI GO app and from DJI. So IPAD Air 2 with wifi and cellular seems to be the best combo, now my question is, do you guys now if I will need "cellular service" or just having a cellular able tablet work??

now my question is, do you guys now if I will need "cellular service" or just having a cellular able tablet work??
You will need a data plan and have to activate it with whatever carrier you choose to take "advantage" of the cellular capabilities. I "" advantage because cellular isn't going to really improve your experience while flying. The only real advantages of having cellular are you can cash the maps in the field if there's no WiFi available and the GPS chip. Neither are a must have just nice. Maps can be cashed prior to going to the field or you can hot spot your phone if you have that service. GPS is really only needed if you want to change the home point to your location if you move from where you initially launched from. Might also be needed for follow me but since dji is dragging their feet on their empty promises who knows.
Figure if the benefits out weigh the cost for your needs.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the help. I have verizon for my cell phone and having a hard time trying to justify another data plan just for the Phantom. I may just get the WiFi model and hotspot my cell phone.

Thanks for the help. I have verizon for my cell phone and having a hard time trying to justify another data plan just for the Phantom. I may just get the WiFi model and hotspot my cell phone.
You only need cellular service to get maps and upload media, if you want. Unless you want your tablet to have GPS, you don't need a cellular enabled tablet. Just use your phones Hotspot for maps.

iPad Air or iPad Air 2 no doubt. I also recommend upgrading to the metal tablet mount from the Inspire 1. Its rock solid and the 10'' screen of the iPad is amazing in flight. The only other thing I recommend is a matte (non-reflective) screen protector. You almost can't fly outside without it.

(as others mentioned you do not need the cellular version. If I need a cellular connection I just turn on my phone's hot spot and the GPS location/map data is transferred from my phone to my tablet. I can even livestream to youtube like this if I wish.)

Some replies here got me a bit confused, which isn't hard to do. The iPad works by itself via wifi with the Phantom, correct? Some have mentioned using phones, too, and it almost sounded like a phone was a necessary intermediate device between the iPad and the Phantom.

Some replies here got me a bit confused, which isn't hard to do. The iPad works by itself via wifi with the Phantom, correct? Some have mentioned using phones, too, and it almost sounded like a phone was a necessary intermediate device between the iPad and the Phantom.

The connection from the iPad to the Phantom is done by wire. It has nothing to do with any wireless connections.

You don't need a phone or mobile Internet to use an iPad with your phantom. People use their phones because it's one less device they have to buy.

Most people who have a wifi only ipad, tether their phones to their ipad to download maps and use the phones GPS for home position. The iPad with cellular has its own GPS so there's no tethering necessary. That being said, you don't need an active cellular / data account on a cellular ipad to use the GPS, function.

When using a non-gps, non-cellular tablet, it's best to tether to your phone, cache maps and just disconnect the phone.

The connection from the iPad to the Phantom is done by wire. It has nothing to do with any wireless connections.

So you're saying that an iPad is connected via the USB cable to the Phantom, and that the iPad can't be used with the Vision app for flying? The guy I bought one of my Phantoms from was using a tablet on his remote controller, and not a cell phone or Android or iPhone. I'm still confused.

So you're saying that an iPad is connected via the USB cable to the Phantom, and that the iPad can't be used with the Vision app for flying? The guy I bought one of my Phantoms from was using a tablet on his remote controller, and not a cell phone or Android or iPhone. I'm still confused.

I'm saying the device used to fly the Phantom 3 Professional or Advanced is connected to the transmitter (remote controller) via USB.

Does anyone know if There is going to be an upgrade to allow flight simulation on an Android Tablet?
I haven't heard anything but I assure you, you're not missing out on much. It's pretty craptacular.

Using my iPad Air 2 64GB Cellular is great. No you don't need a cell plan, just the iPad and a cable to connect your devices.
The larger screen, makes the iPad Mini look like a toy. Which is a model that heats way up, from the Application. The Go App for iOS has more features including the flight SIM, and seems to run much smoother, for most of us Phantom 3 Pilots.
But a dedicated SIM such as RealFlight 7.5 would give you more benefit.

Have fun, enjoy your choices.

RedHotPoker

You think it's better learning to fly hands on?

Yes, fly in a open field where there's absolutely no risk of hitting anything but the ground. These things are very easy to fly once you get over being nervous.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj