Better Yaw control mod (how to video)

slothead said:
The switch you show is a DPDT switch (you called it a "DTST") Ignoring the typo, is there a reason you didn't use a DPST switch? It doesn't appear that you used the second throw. Good video by the way.

Fixed typo in my edit... will see it on next upload.... Correct, could have been a DPST as well, I just ordered the parts shown by RemE http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost ... count=2990

I just tried a flight with 10K more restorers in the loop (Total 20K). I like it a lot more...
Going to order a new pot and will post the results as soon as I do it.

SpikeFinch said:
slothead said:
The switch you show is a DPDT switch (you called it a "DTST") Ignoring the typo, is there a reason you didn't use a DPST switch? It doesn't appear that you used the second throw. Good video by the way.

Fixed typo in my edit... will see it on next upload.... Correct, could have been a DPST as well, I just ordered the parts shown by RemE http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost ... count=2990

I just tried a flight with 10K more restorers in the loop (Total 20K). I like it a lot more...
I just ordered a 10K pot... should I order another 20K pot and use this instead?

srandall25 said:
SpikeFinch said:
slothead said:

I just ordered a 10K pot... should I order another 20K pot and use this instead?

I am trying to locate a 20K pot now... If you find one, let me know...

Found it..

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Bou ... i%252bNw==

Thanks for figuring that out. I just placed an order for this 20k pot. It should arrive on Saturday, and I'll give it a go as well. Should be a quick job to clip the wires and solder in the new 20. I think I'm going to install the gimbal tilt mod as well. Reme (Ed) says that he thinks the app should be out shortly to allow control during flight (of the gimbal tilt).

SpikeFinch said:
JeffB said:
Thank You SpikeFinch!
This is an awesome guide!!, still not sure if I need it, but it certainly looks easy to do... Parts are cheap... I will probably order them.
Since you did this so well, how about one for the ch 7 variable tilt control - slider?? I'm still not sure if we can get that to work on a v2+... Anyone know?
Thanks again!
Jeff

Man!!!!! Your putting me on the spot now.....
I guess I will order the parts for the tilt
Member cougar did it already..
I agree, the tilt sucks as it is.

I was only half serious.... No pressure...
I have a Mech E Bachellor Degree (26 years ago). I took a electrical circuits course back then, but sucked at it, so I am pretty much clueless reading circuit diagrams. But I can work with a detailed tutorial - no problem. As long as I know what parts are needed and which wire gets soldered where, I am good... Not afraid to void my warranty....

Thanks guys. 20k for me.

Ok, I've now ordered the 20K pot... probably not worth it to send back the 10K pot... but it's worth trying as I really value the taw control for smooth video transitions... makes all the difference in my opinion...

sidebox said:
Thanks for figuring that out. I just placed an order for this 20k pot. It should arrive on Saturday, and I'll give it a go as well. Should be a quick job to clip the wires and solder in the new 20. I think I'm going to install the gimbal tilt mod as well. Reme (Ed) says that he thinks the app should be out shortly to allow control during flight (of the gimbal tilt).

I'm confused. I thought the Ch7 mod was for gimbal tilt? Or is that what you're referring to?

Morgon said:
sidebox said:

I'm confused. I thought the Ch7 mod was for gimbal tilt? Or is that what you're referring to?

This is a ch7 mod. Just one with more control than that switch in the back. Check it out here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost ... count=2990

Morgon said:
sidebox said:
This is a ch7 mod. Just one with more control than that switch in the back. Check it out here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost ... count=2990

Thanks for confirming, sidebox. I did see the thread before, I just haven't mentally sold myself on the knob vs the rear slide.

Fair enough. I can't make a declaration on the quality of either mod... but the creator (Reme) explains that the back thumb knob is extremely smooth, and easy to control.

pb7424 said:
If you always want max slow down for panning, couldn't you use two fixed 10K resistors and eliminate the need for the potentiometer? That way all you need to add to the transmitter case is the switch.

I think I am going to add a 3 position switch with resistors. Pos 1 will be off (normal mode), pos 2 will be 10 or 15k and pos 3 will be 20k. That way I will have 2 settings but not have to deal with dialing it in. I will let post what I find out once its done.

samd012 said:
pb7424 said:
If you always want max slow down for panning, couldn't you use two fixed 10K resistors and eliminate the need for the potentiometer? That way all you need to add to the transmitter case is the switch.

I think I am going to add a 3 position switch with resistors. Pos 1 will be off (normal mode), pos 2 will be 10 or 15k and pos 3 will be 20k. That way I will have 2 settings but not have to deal with dialing it in. I will let post what I find out once its done.

The pot will give you the same thing, but 1000 more settings.. just make little dial marks where you like and your good to go. You never have to change it if you don't want to, but it's nice to have the option if needed.

Has anyone tried to install a triple pole double throw switch that would have the joystick yaw control connected to the transmitter circuit board as normal in the OFF position and have the ON position completely disconnect the joystick yaw control and replace it with a 15Kohm or 20Kohm potentiometer? With the potentiometer in the center position, it should act the same as a centered yaw joystick. Then the potentiometer could be moved to the right or left to obtain a sustained yaw with very fine speed control.

pb7424 said:
Has anyone tried to install a triple pole double throw switch that would have the joystick yaw control connected to the transmitter circuit board as normal in the OFF position and have the ON position completely disconnect the joystick yaw control and replace it with a 15Kohm or 20Kohm potentiometer? With the potentiometer in the center position, it should act the same as a centered yaw joystick. Then the potentiometer could be moved to the right or left to obtain a sustained yaw with very fine speed control.

I'm willing to do the mod, but think it's not as simple as just the switch. I'm looking at the wiring now... I just can't figure it out... Maybe it's my meds :eek:

I installed the 20K pot today. I will test fly it tomorrow and upload a video showing the slow pans
So in software, here is how it looks.

The "R" (Yaw) channel would normally give you a max value of -1000 to plus 1000.
With the pot turned all the way down (Anti-clockwise), it will now give you a value of -150 to plus 150. So about 15% of what it was without it. And that is at full stick.

samd012 said:
pb7424 said:

have you done it yet?? :) i'm waiting for results. personally i think the first setting should give a yaw speed that is just slow enough to stop blurring/pixelation when filming in 1080p ( that is why i want a slower pan ) and the second setting should be slower, maybe half as fast?? i guess you could go for a hybrid route where position 1 is as my first suggestion for consistency and possition 2 diverts control through a pot of 10 or 20k to give options? OR, plan 3, a switch is used to select between 2 pots, one 10k and one 20k?? if 20k is too slow then maybe go 5k and 10k options??? but the pots could be set and forget once you have your prefered settings and the switch is used just for selection of the adjustable presets??

and if someone can come up with a slower manual tilt rate that would be great too, i find i getting the camera just right a bit of a pain, up down up down up down!! screw it that will have to do!! a bit finer control would be very nice, a very long slider along the bottom of the screen rather than just tilt up and down buttons may be better?.

I've just done this mod and it works a treat!

I used the 20k pot and found it slows the yaw very nicely indeed - I just need to find something to film so I can test it out.

For the UK guys, here is where I bought the items from:

I used this pot from uk.mouser.com: http://uk.mouser.com/Search/ProductDeta ... -1015PB203. The only downside is that delivery is £12 due to being shipped from abroad, but it's worth it given I will now be able to do smooth pans while videoing.

The switch came from ebay here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MULTICOMP-Swi ... 1197117876?

The finished mod:

Attachments

• yaw-mod.jpg
    yaw-mod.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 493
Do you keep the pot set at max resistance all the time or do you actually adjust it during the pan? If you leave it set at max, I don't see why fixed resistors couldn't be used and eliminate the need for the pot.

I can see myself wanting to increase the yaw speed when closer to an object, so having the variable option will be useful.

However replacing the pot with a 3-pole switch (is that the right term?) may be a better alternative, with the three options being 10k, 20k, and 30k resistors...

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl