Better Yaw control mod (how to video)

Also looking at Assistance on the PC. With the 20k pot turned to 0, it centers at 0 fine and will go from 1000 to -1000, no problem, so you only need the switch if you don't want to have to set the pot to zero in order to start it up. However if you turn the pot slowly and watch assistant you can see that it won't read 0, even at center all the time. For me if I go past 25%, it quickly jumps up to 50-70 (seems kinda sporadic) aand peaks around 130 around the center, then drops off to about 20 at full turn.
Also it doesn't read even from side to side. I turned it from until it started not reading 0 at center and then backed it down to until it read 0 at center. This was about 25%. Full right reads 750, while full left reads -700. If I set it where it reads 70 at center, it will be even more skewed side to side (ie. 650, -450).

My recommendation for setting it would be to use Assistant to see the values. Set it at full, then back it down until it reads 0 at center. Then check side to side and try to find a setting that is pretty close side to side but still reads 0 at center. This way it won't yaw when at center, ad the yaw rates will be the same left to right.

-Scott

sbarton said:
Just did this mod using the Mouser 20k pot. 20k is too high. 1/4 turn seems optimal. Anything beyond 1/2 turn and it wouldn't be responsive enough to fly. Full turn and it doesn't hardly move. Might take 2 minutes to do full 360* turn. I think 10k is ideal. Going to order one and replace the 20k to get more resolution.

-Scott

I have mine set to around 20% up, so I am thinking 16K.. A 10K pot is going to be the same as having a 20K pot at 50% turn. The nice thing about the 20K pot is it just gives you more control when needed. But do your own tests... Have fun.

rv6tc said:
Plut0nius,

Did you figure this out?

I modded my transmitter today and I'm good through about half travel of the pot, but beyond that, I get a split similar to what you are seeing. I'd like to know if you figured it out.

Thanks.

Greetings rv6tc and fellow late-night modders,

It has been 10 educational days since I last posted.

Thank you SpikeFinch for producing your instructional video, this has been motivating for those with little experience but ample will.

Seeing the previous video of the 10K potentiometer yaw speed, I figured like many might, "More is Better". Thus, I installed a 20K Mouser potentiometer controlled with a simple toggle. The switched circuit worked.
However, I quickly realized the maximum left/right rudder values via the RC application were highly asymmetrical and the neutral position was not zero, even after calibration with the mod switch off.
These asymmetrical rudder values corresponded with actual asymmetrical yaw speeds when flight tested.
Not good. Untenable. "More is Less"

Ultimately, I reached out to cougar.

Over the following days, he guided me (like Virgil in the Inferno) through the basic principles and techniques and encouraged me to logically and systematically test each component.
Multimeter time.

I unsoldered the mod and began to test the OEM yaw gimbal to determine if the outputs (yellow and black wires) are equal (in ohms). For full reference and curiosity I also tested the right stick roll gimbal outputs.

To test for innate balance:
1. Unplug the connector of the yaw gimbal to the circuit board.
2. Stick very thin solid wires into either the black or yellow and gray female portion on the now loose connector.
3. Keep the yaw stick in neutral position.
3. Use your multimeter and connect to a coloured wire (using the added thin solid wire as the contact point) and the gray.
4. Take note of this value.
5. Repeat with the other coloured wire and gray.
6. These ohm values should be very near equal and roughly in the 4.5K to 4.8K range.
7. If they are not equal, you will need to add a resistor with an ohm value of this difference to the wire that has the lesser of the resistances.

My internal yaw gimbal was spot on equal. My roll gimbal was as well. Thus I knew logically the asymmetrical rudder values were coming from the 20K pot, barring any faulty solder connection or broken wire...

This was my fundamental lesson of this mod:
The Mouser pots are really not worth a pot for the hoped for intent of this mod. That is, pay head to the term "tolerance" when purchasing these variable resistors. a +-10% tolerance on 20000 ohms is up to 2000 ohms. This is a big deal when one is intending for precision. As you dial up the resistance with this pot, you begin to see the loss of precision and greater asymmetry of the rudder values/yaw speeds. Try finding a 1%-5% tolerance pot. big money, my friends. Or you can go the digital pot route... knowledge is power.

Test your pot's ohms with a multimeter and see what a difference there is between the black and yellow leads.

So, my second important lesson of this mod was:
I do not need a variable resistor. A fixed one satisfies the true intent of this mod.

What is the ultimate purpose of this mod? Its all about the silky smooth panning for high quality video capture.
Thus, I began the (rather fun) trial and error process of testing the ohms through of the system by adding resistors, one at a time on each line, black and yellow, just before the 20K pot on the circuit. Test each resistor before placing them inline. Find a pair of resistors that match.
I was looking for a yaw speed of about 10% of the maximum rudder values of -1000/1000, thus mathematically about -100/100.

I ended my testing with this configuration:
25147 ohms on the Black line (two 10K, one 5.1K and one 47)
25100 ohms on the Yellow line (two 10K and one 5.1K)

Now I can flip the toggle and immediately have balanced ultra-slow smooth left and right yaw speeds. My rudder values in the RC app are near perfectly balanced at maximum left/right -113/115, respectively and neutral stick at 0.
"Less is more"

The 20K pot is still in the circuit. This is the joker element now.
I have it turned to off, to least resistance. But I can use it if I want to eke out a little bit more balanced resistance. Only to about -100/100, after this, it begins to develop asymmetry in speed/RC rudder values, and neutral becomes non-zero.

I re-soldered my re-mod as per the original RemE-Lars schematics to avoid confusion of multi wire contact points on the DPST switch pins (for more accurate circuit testing its best to have separate junctions).
However, both SpikeFinch's and RemE-Lars methods produced the identical asymmetrical results before I placed fixed resistors.

This has been an excellent experience. My local radio shack dudes would laugh when I walked in. They kept saying "you couldn't resist"

now maybe onto the camera tilt pot mod...
or maybe the T14 SG...

Thanks to cougar for his patience.

Can you provide instructions, or a diagram of how to perform this mod, without the potentiometer?

plut0nius, a really great post, thank you!!!

I would like to do what you've done and eliminate my already configured pot and replace with resistors instead. Can you draw a wiring diagram showing where they sit alongside the pot and switch please?

Thanks.

Greetings Tinkerers!

I have drawn up this very basic fixed resistor re-mod based on RemE-Lars' original schematic and cougar's recent invaluable guidance.
I hope this can add to the fun and exploration of this burgeoning medium.
This forum is fantastic.
my appreciation,
Eric

Attachments

• RESISTANCE is FUTILE.jpg
    RESISTANCE is FUTILE.jpg
    395.8 KB · Views: 471
To add the resistors to an existing 10-20K potentiometer mod, place them on the input black/yellow lines before they enter the single pin portion of the mod potentiometer.

Hey SpikeFinch! Thanks again for this great thread.
I'm very pleased with the yaw speed now. It is very slow and silky. And this is with maximum left/right, so you don't have to worry about hand strength variation holding the stick mid throw. That is, crank it over to max and hold.
I could see someone wanting even slower. Then again that is the mother of modding, finding your own solutions.

Again, the primary purpose is to have cinematic type slow pans. And it works.
A 3 way switch could be a good next variation with 2 sets of fixed resistors: slow and glacial.

I suppose I should avail myself of making and sharing a test flight video of the comparison of stock speed and this new 25K ohm speed.

Take care

A quick piloting/videographer note: when I referred to "crank it over to max", do it slowly as to not create an abrupt variation.

Plut0nius,

Thank you so much. That was exactly what I was seeing, and it must be in the Mouser pot. For now, I'll keep it as is, and keep an eye toward adding a fixed rate resistor inline.

I can't thank you and SpikeFinch enough for these postings. The yaw rate was driving me crazy!

Keith

By the way... when you do the pitch mod, I'll follow along. I don't' think I'll use it as much, but it'd still be nice to have that capability. Replacing the pot on the board seems a little intimidating, but I think (hope) I can do it easily enough.

Cheers.

Spike - Fremont or Milpitas?

So for the people doing resistors instead of pots what seems to be the magical number to be around for a smooth yaw which still allows the ability to fly?

Hey everyone, new guy here. i have been looking for a solution to this situation myself. has anyone looked into the range of motion in the pot itself. by using pots with the right center resistance but with a different range of motion. currently the sticks on a phantom move roughly 60 degrees, so its safe to say the pot has a similar range of motion. by using a pot with more range but the same values would dumb down the motion without the centering problems. this could be taken one step further by stacking pots with different ranges of motion and hooking the output to a multi pole switch for different speed settings. i tried to see if this had been posted anywhere earlier in the thread but i did not see anything glancing through.

My 2 cents.

These little potentiometers are perfect if you just want to have only a switch on your controller.
They are small enough, so you can keep them inside the controller, they are fully adjustable, cheap, and they work!
Flip the switch and you get smooth/slow yaw, flip it again and you're back to default settings.

You can find them on ebay, just search for 20k Multiturn potentiometer

Attachments

• 20kpod.jpg
    20kpod.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 393

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member