Better Yaw control mod (how to video)

aristosv said:
My 2 cents.

These little potentiometers are perfect if you just want to have only a switch on your controller.
They are small enough, so you can keep them inside the controller, they are fully adjustable, cheap, and they work!
Flip the switch and you get smooth/slow yaw, flip it again and you're back to default settings.

You can find them on ebay, just search for 20k Multiturn potentiometer

Hmmm.... Maybe a great way to tune it as well.

A question.
Can this mod be used to yaw in either direction ?

I installed the mod and it has been a great success in controlling the bird around objects POI or panning. Did experience the offset in resistance for a right hand yaw versus left hand, the gain difference is about 90 when viewed in RC app. Just be aware it is isn't perfectly balanced when either going right or left. I typically have it turned down to 1/3 speed or less.

Thanks SpikeFinch and others for the great mod.

Easy and cheap to install, just take your time - measure twice, cut once....

So what is the overall concensus on the best way to do this?
A pot isn't precise enough (not symmetrical) right?
So regular rezistors into a 2-3 way switch (off, WX%, YZ%), but what are the most recommended values?

My mod is wired as in drawing but not functioning as supposed to. Its a 25K dual gang pot and only works when in the center position ( has detent there), then the yaw is very slow and smooth which is fine for me. But I'm wondering why otherwise it doesn't work unless I got the wrong type of pot. It was advertised as a linear pot. Also, I thought the idea was to raise resistance on one leg (yellow) while lowering on the other. But even after changing wires to obtain this it still did not work so I'm back at just leaving pot at center position.

Nothing strange here at all.

Regardless of what you use, adjustable pot or fixed resistors, first step is to use an ohm-meter and determine and adjust the ohm values of the yaw-gimbal! The values has to be identical on the yellow and black wires, if not, use a fixed resistor to get them balanced.
Please see plut0nius excellent schematic and use step 4. first. viewtopic.php?f=27&t=23497&start=100
After the yaw-gimbal is perfectly balanced (same values on booth wires) you can continue with the mod. but this is very important step and has to be done first!

Reason this has to be done first is due to variances on the original potentiometer found in the yaw-gimbal, in the original setup this is not a problem since is could be eliminated by doing a calibration of the sticks in the RC-assisatant software. Since we are now adding resistance to the circuits it will through everything off unless this is done correctly.

I had a friend do mine, and he has a very clear and helpful video explaining how its done!

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSpw_Ar1HZc[/youtube]

Afterwards I also had asymmetric values in the RC software, with a swing of 60 to the right when the sticks are at rest. This 60 does not affect the stationary phantom as far as I can tell, and the asymmetry does not bother me at all.

smokiespliff said:
I had a friend do mine, and he has a very clear and helpful video explaining how its done!

Afterwards I also had asymmetric values in the RC software, with a swing of 60 to the right when the sticks are at rest. This 60 does not affect the stationary phantom as far as I can tell, and the asymmetry does not bother me at all.
I had that issue too, its a bit annoying...

smokiespliff said:

It actually does affect video (slightly).
If you enable the yaw mod, you will see the camera yaw slightly to one side. It doesn't point straight. The camera isn't exactly looking where its flying.

Good video but there is one small thing: you say the Phantom will not start unless the switch is in off position.
This indicates you have a problem and the sticks are not calibrated, that is why it will not start unless you bypass your mod.

If the problems can't be calibrated using the RC assistant first and then PT2 assistant it is a clear indication that you have different resistance over the potentiometers. This can be fixed using an ohm meter measuring out how much and install a suitable resistor to compensate so they are the same.

Did this myself some time ago and that is how I solved the problem. Please note all are not the same, did two different controllers and one was fine, the other I had to install a resistor to get values correct.

The only reason it won't start is because the lh stick cannot physically or electrically be moved far enough for CSC with the rate reduced. That is not a fault.

I used (2) 10k ohm 15 turn pots soldered right onto the lugs of a dpdt switch. Tiny little suckers. I set them both to 9 k then installed the switch/variable resistors in the transmitter. After double checking everything I powered it up and used rc assistant to center the scale. After adjusting both pots I can center it no problem but one way turns slightly faster than the other at (slow) full stick. I tried fixed resistors first but couldn't get it to center so I went to variable. Great mod. I'm glad I did it. Great for video now. I find myself using it sometimes even when I'm not thinking about video. Sometimes it helps when I'm trying to make slow precise movements. Like when I get too close to something. haha
I started thinking about I wonder if this mod would be any good on the other stick, rolling left and right. Because now my transmitter is not symmetrical on the front, I need to add a switch over the right stick now. haha

I did it a different way - I still have proportional yaw, but with the maximum rate [ and in between] being adjustable with a pot, but switched from full to adjusted. I originally did it with a fixed, adjustable rate like these. Both work

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers