Bag/Backpack for Phantom

martinotto said:
What about a camera backpack (soft case) that you fill with foam and then cut out a place for the phantom?
The problem is to find a backpack that big and won´t cost a fortune.

Depending on how you set you propellers but it must be abaout 29 x 53 x 20 cm

Any ideas? From china on ebay?

I'm in for this idea. Going to a couple shops today or tomorrow to see if I can fit the phantom inside. I have researched a couple that might work. If not then I am going to see if I can get my sister in law to build one for me. She is super talented with a sewing machine.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/control ... &A=details

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 1,267
JustJames said:
martinotto said:
What about a camera backpack (soft case) that you fill with foam and then cut out a place for the phantom?
The problem is to find a backpack that big and won´t cost a fortune.

Depending on how you set you propellers but it must be abaout 29 x 53 x 20 cm

Any ideas? From china on ebay?

I'm in for this idea. Going to a couple shops today or tomorrow to see if I can fit the phantom inside. I have researched a couple that might work. If not then I am going to see if I can get my sister in law to build one for me. She is super talented with a sewing machine.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/control ... &A=details

Cool! Looking forward to see if you find a bag that might fit.
I think the one that you posted is to small.

Hi

I am using the one that you can see on the link below. It is just few Euros and the phantom fits quite well.
With standard props usually I carry it with them on, with the Phantom II props I prefer to keep them apart.

http://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B009NR5 ... UTF8&psc=1

I've been even skiing with this back pack.

It is not super protective in case a fall or a big hit, or putting some weight on top of it, but it works well for me. Quite satisfied.

I ended up getting this one. http://www.manfrotto.com/veloce-v-backpack-black I went to 4 different stores with my PV and test fit the bags I thought would work. This was really the only one that fit comfortably. I wouldn't say I love it but for the price ($69.00) I like it a lot and it will do the job.I will post pictures later of how I have every thing arranged in it.

*****Edit****

Well its in there. And it will work. But Again I don't love it. It juuuust works. Im going to sit on it for a few days. I may take it back. I really wants something deeper. Something like this without the $350 price tag

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/6 ... kpack.html

*****edit x2******

I can't do it. It's going back. Too tight. I may look into a custom set up or bite the bullet on the Expedition 9.

J

Attachments

• Backpack sm.png
    Backpack sm.png
    550.6 KB · Views: 1,268
I have been google.ing after a bag that big enough and have all of the right specifications and openings but can´t find the optimal one so i have decided that i make my own.

I think i will make it somewhere in the same size as the original Phantom bag but instead of looking like i am walking / bike around with a control center to a spaceship i will make more like a bike messenger bag.

http://campdonuts.files.wordpress.com/2 ... ckpack.jpg

It is simple soft case design but with a thin metal / wood frame and foam interior.
Fully opening back so its easy to take out the phantom / control and batteries.

I think this is the cheapest way and probably the most fun way to do it.

The camera bags in the size range cost around 300 - 400 dollars and i think that is to much.

I think i can set my budget to 100 dollars max.

martinotto said:
I have been google.ing after a bag that big enough and have all of the right specifications and openings but can´t find the optimal one so i have decided that i make my own.

I think i will make it somewhere in the same size as the original Phantom bag but instead of looking like i am walking / bike around with a control center to a spaceship i will make more like a bike messenger bag.

http://campdonuts.files.wordpress.com/2 ... ckpack.jpg

It is simple soft case design but with a thin metal / wood frame and foam interior.
Fully opening back so its easy to take out the phantom / control and batteries.

I think this is the cheapest way and probably the most fun way to do it.

The camera bags in the size range cost around 300 - 400 dollars and i think that is to much.

I think i can set my budget to 100 dollars max.

I like your idea. I was at costco today and picked up 2 clear storage containers 18"x13"x10". The phantom fit perfect in it. I am looking into pull and pluck foam to fill in dead space and protect a bit. That plus a bag like you showed above would work. I may be able to have a family member make it for me too.

J

Hooray!! I finally found an option that I REALLY like! I scoured Craigslist looking for a bag that would work. I found this one for $90. Its normally about $200 new. It is very flexible in the interior configurations. It fit very well and has lots of space for everything I need to take on a hike. Here are a few pics.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/8 ... kpack.html

Attachments

• PV bag sm pic.png
    PV bag sm pic.png
    402.6 KB · Views: 1,253
Is there still space to carry a laptop too? Also do you think it would fit a phantom vision or phantom 2 w a zenmuse??
I'm looking for the holy grail: big enough that when I travel I take my computer and a quad. Without dismantling the equipment.

Yes big lap top sleeve built in. Big enough for a 17". As for fitting it in the with the gimbal I'm not sure. If it sits deeper it might not. It fits perfect as is. If you like I'll take more pics of the bag when I get off duty tomorrow. Maybe a you tube vid on it. It really is a sweet bag for this. I'm finding myself using it more and more. Even more than my hard case.

J

Attachments

• Laptop pocket 2.png
    Laptop pocket 2.png
    289.4 KB · Views: 1,127
  • Laptop pocket1.png
    Laptop pocket1.png
    253.8 KB · Views: 1,088
JustJames said:
Yes big lap top sleeve built in. Big enough for a 17". As for fitting it in the with the gimbal I'm not sure. If it sits deeper it might not. It fits perfect as is. If you like I'll take more pics of the bag when I get off duty tomorrow. Maybe a you tube vid on it. It really is a sweet bag for this. I'm finding myself using it more and more. Even more than my hard case.

J
I might be asking too much, but I need one that fits the P2 with the gimbal AND prop guards. Like Martinotto wrote, It might be worth it to make something myself.

I'm sure this will be something on the market soon, since there is obviously a high demand for it.

AndySwe said:
One guy in the Dji Vision Owners group on facebook has a backpack coming soon, depending on how it looks inside I will order for sure.
For me its also important that I can take the backpack as carry on onboard international flights.
988787_10201092701540432_281315840_n.jpg

Anyone hear any more about this? I couldn't find it on the internet.

I was at aerial media pros the other day and they said they were working on one. No details but I'm guessing they will create something pretty nice.

JustJames said:
I was at aerial media pros the other day and they said they were working on one. No details but I'm guessing they will create something pretty nice.

Thanks James. I just wrote them to keep me in their development loop.

So I thought I'd revive this post and share my experience.

I bought an eBags eTech 2.0 Weekender convertible backpack that can also be used as a carry on bag. The bag has two very comfortable shoulder straps that can also be hidden should you want to use the handles.

If you have a Toughcase Tradecraft P2V case, you're almost there with one mod and the eBags case (other softsided bags will also work, but this one was reasonably priced and had the features I wanted). The eBags listed dimensions are 22"x14"x9" and the Tradecraft foam insert measures 22"x13.5"x5". You'd think it would fit inside the backpack, but it doesn't. I ended up cutting 3.5" off the length of the insert to get a good fit, essentially removing the charger compartment, but no worries, since there are plenty of places to store several chargers. If you cut carefully, the insert is still usable in the original case and allows the option of switching between a backpack and a hard case.

If you don't have a Tradecraft, Toughcase will sell you an insert for $80 plus shipping ...a bit pricey. You might be able to work out a similar deal with other suppliers, or buy your own high density foam and cut to fit.

High density foam can be easily cut with an electric meat carving knife---the kind with two reciprocating metal blades.

I just completed a 4 mile trail hike to try it all out. Works great and looks professional!!

Attachments

• DSC00611.JPG
    DSC00611.JPG
    138.8 KB · Views: 1,198
  • DSC00612.JPG
    DSC00612.JPG
    200.5 KB · Views: 1,258
1dr1 said:

I bought an eBags eTech 2.0 Weekender convertible backpack that can also be used as a carry on bag. The bag has two very comfortable shoulder straps that can also be hidden should you want to use the handles.

If you have a Toughcase Tradecraft P2V case, you're almost there with one mod and the eBags case (other softsided bags will also work, but this one was reasonably priced and had the features I wanted). The eBags listed dimensions are 22"x14"x9" and the Tradecraft foam insert measures 22"x13.5"x5". You'd think it would fit inside the backpack, but it doesn't. I ended up cutting 3.5" off the length of the insert to get a good fit, essentially removing the charger compartment, but no worries, since there are plenty of places to store several chargers. If you cut carefully, the insert is still usable in the original case and allows the option of switching between a backpack and a hard case.

If you don't have a Tradecraft, Toughcase will sell you an insert for $80 plus shipping ...a bit pricey. You might be able to work out a similar deal with other suppliers, or buy your own high density foam and cut to fit.

High density foam can be easily cut with an electric meat carving knife---the kind with two reciprocating metal blades.

I just completed a 4 mile trail hike to try it all out. Works great and looks professional!!

Looks pretty solid. Nice work.

JustJames said:
1dr1 said:

Looks pretty solid. Nice work.
+1

77wardance77 said:
Look into the LowePro 450
Lowepros are great bags. I have two that I've taken around the world many times. They hold up under very heavy use.

This particular one is smaller in width than the eBags eTech 2.0 Weekender convertible. I think I will research that a little more. I'd rather spend extra $$ and get better protection, but the rumors are true: size does matter. So if the eBag fits the Phantom better, I may go with that.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl