Bag/Backpack for Phantom

CJ31 said:
Thanks. Yeah I started thinking about the fact that you're using what I assume is the more rigid foam from the go professional case and the pick n pluck may not support it as well. I'd really rather not spend another $200 on a hard case. Might need to just find some foam that's more dense.

You could try googling "high density polyethylene foam". I found a local packing/shipping company that sells a 1" thick 4'x8' sheet for $45.

Wonder if something like this would work. I build houses and we have this type of stuff lying around all the time. It's very rigid and seems sculpt-able. Comes in thicknesses from 1/2" to 2". Might try it since it's so cheap. It's similar to styrofoam but does not flake apart like styrofoam. Think it would be too rigid to protect properly?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Owens-Co...ue-and-Groove-Insulation-Board-86BG/100320343

would work but that stuff is messy isn't it? plus you would need to layer it up. I'd glue the layers.

The OC foamular stuff isn't so messy. It's different that the typical styrofoam. But not sure how well it will work until I try. Maybe it's stupid, but I like trying to do stuff like that. It comes in 2" thick as well. But I thought maybe 1" might be more customizable as far as cutting the spaces I need at each level.

I use the Deuter AirContact 60+10 and find it perfect!

deuter_aircontact_60_10_sl_2013.jpg

I'm still evolving the way I pack, and I only started out doing proper hikes with the drone recently, but I've managed to get to a reasonable weight, without having to buy expensive lightweight gear. My last proper hike I did by bicycle, into a State Forest in Victoria, Australia in 35+ C weather and I covered something like 30km to get there from a train station.

Here's what I fit into the backpack, which in this photo looks deceptively small, as the last time I took it out I strapped it down tight and only had the drone in it.

Vtjfox3.jpg

The advantage I want to stress here, of this type of backpack is the solid (and curved) back-piece in the main compartment. The drone wraps around it, and the controller fits neatly to its side. With some clothes for padding I feel completely secure (although I duct-tape the wifi range extender switch for precious power saving). The bottom compartment takes anything that could leak onto sensitive electronics and the sides give me plenty of space to strap unwieldy stuff.

I had food for 3 days, water for 2, a bottle of vodka for the nights and a heavy tent that can fit 3 people ... as well as gators to protect me from Australia's deadliest of creatures.

I doubt you need to carry so much ;)

Ok got the etech weekender bag. It is definitely not as supportive as I was hoping. I was hoping for more of an airline carryon type feeling bag with semi hard sides. So I doubt pick n pluck foam is not going to work. I'll need foam that is more rigid if I keep this.

But for now I'm using the cardboard insert that came with the phantom. This actually seems to provide some rigidity and seems semi protective. Am I stupid to think this could actually work? I know it won't last over time but for now with some foam padding around it, it may do the trick?

Attachments

• photo 3-9.JPG
    photo 3-9.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 895
  • photo 2-12.JPG
    photo 2-12.JPG
    137.8 KB · Views: 884
  • photo 1-12.JPG
    photo 1-12.JPG
    122.2 KB · Views: 832
I also use the original box mold and a backpack. Works wonderful and the large backpack has ample room for all accessories. (FatSharks, extra battery, chargers, tools, anything I should need)

Attachments

• photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 804
  • photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 847
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 818
Ahhh. I knew I couldn't be the only one! How long have you been using it and how has it held up? I assume people throw these things away, so I guess it should be easy to get a replacement when needed :D

And did you specifically get that backpack for it or did you already have it? If you got it, what is it?

CJ31 said:
Ahhh. I knew I couldn't be the only one! How long have you been using it and how has it held up? I assume people throw these things away, so I guess it should be easy to get a replacement when needed :D

And did you specifically get that backpack for it or did you already have it? If you got it, what is it?

Only since the beginning of the week when the P2 showed up. It took one day of carrying the phantom around by hand to make me search for a quick solution.
My resourceful (cheap) eye remembered the OEM packaging and I put my brain to work. I had to do a little modification to allow for the Zenmuse and GoPro to stay attatched.

Other than that, a little bit of stiff foam around the box between it and the backpack itself and I was golden. I am thinking of a way to get some protection for the topside aside from the straps keeping it in place.

The bag I had already...Air Force.

Attachments

• photo 3 (1).JPG
    photo 3 (1).JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 868
  • photo 2 (1).JPG
    photo 2 (1).JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 789
Here is what I have been using. It is an Osprey hiking backpack that I already had. For gimbal support, I had saved some of the "filler" foam from a pelican case I had at work. As an added measure of protection, I carry the props inside a tall thin metal thermos inside the bag. Doesnt add much weight, but I have no concerns with them getting bent/damaged when crammed in the bag with all of my other goodies.

7bPWO6yNNewwpYfRAdYfNx8BC2_YMwKRufUBo4GyWgw=s384-p-no

DattaGroover said:
AndySwe said:
One guy in the Dji Vision Owners group on facebook has a backpack coming soon, depending on how it looks inside I will order for sure.
For me its also important that I can take the backpack as carry on onboard international flights.
988787_10201092701540432_281315840_n.jpg

Anyone hear any more about this? I couldn't find it on the internet.

I messaged the guy making it for an update.

Ksc said:
http://www.uavproducts.com/product.php?id_product=275

is this not the same as the advanced vision studios bag?

Wow that's a sweet bag. Very simple and neat. Compact. Nice find brother.

JJ

It seems good for a quick trip but it doesn't look like it holds much. I don't see where you would put extra batteries or FPV stuff.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl