Bag/Backpack for Phantom

spanktimonious said:
Ksc said:
I just bought one of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Caribee-Sky-Mas ... 2c7b7528c3

I already have the foam from a phantom case so I saved there. My big issue is that I'm using the 3rd axis upgrade kit and it adds extra height. Every inch counts. I'll post pictures when it arrives.

Holy thread drift Batman!

It all started with this:

"So I'm looking for some sort of backpack or bag for the phantom I could use while hiking up to areas to fly."

Maybe I'm missing something, but it appears to me that's the exact topic we're all still on.

The eBags listed dimensions are 22"x14"x9" and the Tradecraft foam insert measures 22"x13.5"x5". You'd think it would fit inside the backpack, but it doesn't. I ended up cutting 3.5" off the length of the insert to get a good fit,
Looks great. I'd like to get something similar. So what are the real dimensions of the bag as you have it shown here? Is it 22" or 18.5"? I noticed there is a Jr version of the etech weekender convertible 2.0 that is 3" shorter. Did you get the Jr?

spanktimonious said:
DattaGroover said:
spanktimonious said:
You would use a rolling suitcase while hiking up to areas to fly?

considering that Florida is flat and in order for me to go hiking I would need to fly to a state with at the very least a hill; yes the rolling suitcase is the way to go. Not to mention the fact that a normal hiking backpack is around 65L, this bag is 80L and will hold the phantom and whatever else I'll need while hiking or traveling. Plus, why would you want to go back and forth between a bag and a case. Get a bag you can do it all in, hike, travel, storage, carry all.

I use a high dollar Targus backpack(under $20 at tj max)
for my phantom hikes/boat rides. Its a laptop bag an I have to take the legs and props off but it goes on the airplane just fine. I assembled it pretty quickly in Antigua and flew it around a little island before drinking too many rum punches.
Here is a pic with a P2 shell in it. Fits like a glove.

CJ31 said:
The eBags listed dimensions are 22"x14"x9" and the Tradecraft foam insert measures 22"x13.5"x5". You'd think it would fit inside the backpack, but it doesn't. I ended up cutting 3.5" off the length of the insert to get a good fit,
Looks great. I'd like to get something similar. So what are the real dimensions of the bag as you have it shown here? Is it 22" or 18.5"? I noticed there is a Jr version of the etech weekender convertible 2.0 that is 3" shorter. Did you get the Jr?

Don't get the Jr version of the eBag. It will be too small. The actual dimension of the eBag is 21". So, as a bare minimum, you might be able to get by with shaving an inch off the foam insert, but I chose a more convenient location, which is where the charger compartment is located. I ended up adding some filler foam to take up some of the extra space (look at my photo and you can see an inch of foam above and below the Tradecraft insert. The filler foam can be removed and the chargers can be placed there.

77wardance77 said:
Look into the LowePro 450
Thanks for the idea.

After carefully studying both, I decided to go with the eZBags (thanks 1dr1). It has a lot more room than the LowePro, and I'm thinking that will enable me to carry my FPV screen, hood, etc. more easily. The LowePro was a temptation, because their stuff is all so excellent, but it lost the contest here, at least for me due to its smaller size.

My intent is to check my Phantom in its hard (GoProfessional) case, with that in a suitcase. The backpack is for trekking into the wild. I know some people want one case for all, but I have other carry-ons I have to always take on board.

DattaGroover: The Bulldog case you posted also seems tempting and looks like it has more space over the eBags I got. Sometimes, I could use some additional space to carry things like water and snacks. With the eBags, I ended up lashing my water bottle to the outside..not ideal, but a workable solution. Aside from this limitation, the eBags is still a comfortable and convenient bag. For more protection, I added a piece of foam to the internal zipper compartment, similar to what is in the Tradecraft case lid.

1dr1- How much protection do you think this setup gives you? I'm looking for something that I can hike with, but also travel with if necessary. It might require another case for travel, but I'd like to try and only have 1. I assume you would not check this in luggage, but would you carry it on a plane? If you dropped it on a hike, would you feel confident it would be ok, or no?

Thanks.

1dr1 said:
DattaGroover: The Bulldog case you posted also seems tempting and looks like it has more space over the eBags I got. Sometimes, I could use some additional space to carry things like water and snacks. With the eBags, I ended up lashing my water bottle to the outside..not ideal, but a workable solution. Aside from this limitation, the eBags is still a comfortable and convenient bag. For more protection, I added a piece of foam to the internal zipper compartment, similar to what is in the Tradecraft case lid.
The bulldog case seemed a bit bigger than I needed. Hopefully I won't regret that.

I placed my order for the eBag, and am looking forward to customizing the foam so it can go between the eBag and my hard case. I originally was hoping to leave the rotors on, but that doesn't seem practical- plus they are easy enough to take on/off.

CJ31 said:
1dr1- How much protection do you think this setup gives you? I'm looking for something that I can hike with, but also travel with if necessary. It might require another case for travel, but I'd like to try and only have 1. I assume you would not check this in luggage, but would you carry it on a plane? If you dropped it on a hike, would you feel confident it would be ok, or no?

Thanks.
I feel fairly confident that the eBags/Tradecraft combo would stand up to the normal bumps and grinds encountered on a hike, but if it were dropped, it would depend on the circumstances. On my eBag, I did add an extra layer of high density foam to the zippered compartment inside the top cover. With that addition, I would have to say that the eBag would offer about as much protection as any other camera backpack, and possibly more since my loaded bag would probably weigh less than a loaded SLR bag with accessory lenses, etc. As with any camera backpack, I would not put mine into checked luggage, but I do have the option of using the original Tradecraft case if I had to go that route. An added benefit of using the eBag or equivalent is that it is smaller than the Tradecraft and would not raise any eyebrows as a legitimate carryon.

thinking of going this route.

tumblr_mzdgwvF9Ce1sgzr25o1_1280.jpg

JustJames said:
Nice tizz what bag is that? Looks like a compact bag but fits nicely.

JJ

i found it while searching for a backpack for the phantom. says its a "lowepro photo trekker classic".

The lowepro bags look nice, but they seem pretty expensive. I just order the ebags weekender 2.0 that 1dr1 posted. It was on sale yesterday at ebags.com for 59.99 and I got 10% off for signing up for their emails. So $53.99 to my door with free shipping.

I'm planning on getting some pick and pluck foam for the inside from here http://www.foambymail.com/anti-static-pick-and-pluck-foam.html They have charcoal and anti static in pink. I guess anti static would be better, but I really don't want pink. Think the charcoal is ok?

1dr1 can you give me the exact inside dimensions of the etech bag? I need to figure out which size foam inserts to buy. Thanks.

CJ31 said:
1dr1 can you give me the exact inside dimensions of the etech bag? I need to figure out which size foam inserts to buy. Thanks.
a

My eBag measures 21x 13.25 x 6 on the inside. The measurements can be off a bit since getting an exact measurement off of a fabric bag is hard to do. You'll want to allow room for some extra foam to fill in any loose spots. Another word of caution: make sure you use high density foam which is rigid enough so that it won't need the support of a hard sided case. Some of the pick and pluck foam may not have enough rigidity. Most foams are easy to cut with an electric meat carving knife that has two reciprocating blades.

Thanks. Yeah I started thinking about the fact that you're using what I assume is the more rigid foam from the go professional case and the pick n pluck may not support it as well. I'd really rather not spend another $200 on a hard case. Might need to just find some foam that's more dense.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4