Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Avoiding mandatory FW updates

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kandelin16, Jan 7, 2016.

1. kandelin16

Would it be possible to go completely "off the grid" and avoid future firmware updates by turning off auto update and keeping your device in airplane mode for the rest of time? I'm ok with geofencing as it stands right now, but I don't like the way things are going... (And let's not turn this into a crazy conspiracy thread, just a technical discussion)

2. jason

That isn't what you told me. Now suffer. That inferior product looks better all the time. yes and it flies perfectly. Now who's paranoid?

#2 jason, Jan 7, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2016
  3. kandelin16

Dude! I appreciate different opinions! I enjoy learning about everything! I don't plan on doing this myself, so just chill! I feel like you're tearing me apart for wanting to explore and learn!

4. bbfpv

The answer is yes. I'm still on 1.1.9 or thereabouts. Nothing is mandatory if you're off the grid.

5. nparker13

Be cautious about flying with out of date firmware if you want warranty service in the future. I remember seeing stories on here about people having issues where they were charged because they were flying old firmware

6. NorCalRC

Mine wouldn't allow me to take off because of firm and software. My device was blinking red with that message.

7. NorCalRC

I upgraded it all and flew today with no problem. no distancea nd altitude limits (set in software). before it held me at 90 feet each way.