Anyone in Wisconsin?

Hey up in West Bend and the weather is great for the second week in March. Let me know when you guys are going out again as I would like to get my initial flights under my belt with you guys around if you don't mind.

Well, if anyone wants to put something together for Saturday, I might be able to sneak out for a while :)

I was planning on Flying tomorrow (took the day off of work) for a bit in the vicinity of the North-West side of Milwaukee and maybe further North or West if anyone wants to get together. Weather looks pretty good for flying on Friday....

UAVforecast.com based on zip code of 53222
Time Wind Temp Precip Cloud Visibility Sats KP Est Sats
07:00 2 mph 35°F 0% 20% 8 miles 20 1 18.4
08:00 2 mph 38°F 0% 22% 9 miles 17 1 16.3
09:00 3 mph 40°F 0% 23% 9 miles 18 1 16.6
10:00 5 mph 40°F 0% 22% 10 miles 18 1 17.1
11:00 6 mph 43°F 0% 18% 10 miles 18 1 16.7
12:00 7 mph 45°F 0% 14% 10 miles 17 2 15.8
13:00 8 mph 46°F 0% 14% 10 miles 18 2 16.3
14:00 9 mph 52°F 0% 12% 10 miles 18 2 16.4
15:00 10 mph 53°F 0% 15% 10 miles 18 2 16.4
16:00 9 mph 51°F 0% 24% 10 miles 15 2 14.3
17:00 8 mph 46°F 0% 36% 10 miles 16 2 14.7

I work so Friday is out unless you are talking evening. I work in Waukesha until 5.

I've taken the day off for some personal projects....I was planning on flying sometime between noon and 2pm

Yea I am working in WB all day on Friday and have an appointment in Slinger on Sat. at 1. Keep posting though I am sure we can all hook up soon.

Hello ALL, Hope to get my Phantom 3 next week, new on this forum. Nice to see others from Wisconsin, I am located in Clinton, WI (near Beloit). Love to learn and watch others fly, I am excited but also nervous about my first flight lol.
Friends with the Stier family in Clinton!

For those of us who are flying within the 5 nautical miles of either Mitchell or Timmerman airports, here is the procedure for UAS operators to follow for both airports:

UAS

This information will be available on the Mitchell website soon, but the procedure will be the same.

This puts us in compliance with Section 336 of Public Law 112-95 (the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012)

SEC. 336(a)(5)
when flown within 5 miles of an airport, the operator
of the aircraft provides the airport operator and the airport
air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located
at the airport) with prior notice of the operation .....

To notify Timmerman Airport of Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) drone flights, please call 414-769-3962 and leave a voicemail containing the following information required by the Federal Aviation Administration:

Not sure, but I have not read where the FAA has any stipulated information other than "with prior notice of the operation". I don't see any requirement to provide the information Timmerman says is required. The only things in that list that appear appropriate are the location and the times. The rest of it is more government tracking.

Wolfiesden, I enjoyed your lakefront video. The footage down the river and under the bridge was nice. Might give that area a try once it warms up a little.

I would like to park and launch closer to the RR bridge so I can explore it a bit closer. I think I saw an area where the old tracks used to be between those new apartments that might be accessible to the public near the corner of Erie and Jefforson

There is another bridge near skipper bud's on the KK. I remember we used to pass it in our sailboat when we were putting in for the spring and pulling out for the winter up at the storage yard on 1st st.

I believe those are the last two swing bridges that are not in use and still standing. It wouldn't surprise me if these get removed in the coming years. They are falling apart at the seams and they have already removed the leadin tracks to the one in the Milwaukee river so its clear it will never again be used. The one on the KK near the basin still has one of two leadin tracks but they look very disused. The second has already been stripped from the north side.

IIRC, there is a swing by KK av and one at the mouth of the Menominee river that are still in place and working. At least I know the one by KK was working. Never had the sailboat up the Milwaukee so I don't know if the one by the confluence is operational or stuck closed.

So, anyone know when and why they painted the smiley face on the Marcus theater roof black? Used to be bright red.

Reactions: Choad McDaniel
I would like to park and launch closer to the RR bridge so I can explore it a bit closer. I think I saw an area where the old tracks used to be between those new apartments that might be accessible to the public near the corner of Erie and Jefforson

There is another bridge near skipper bud's on the KK. I remember we used to pass it in our sailboat when we were putting in for the spring and pulling out for the winter up at the storage yard on 1st st.

I believe those are the last two swing bridges that are not in use and still standing. It wouldn't surprise me if these get removed in the coming years. They are falling apart at the seams and they have already removed the leadin tracks to the one in the Milwaukee river so its clear it will never again be used. The one on the KK near the basin still has one of two leadin tracks but they look very disused. The second has already been stripped from the north side.

IIRC, there is a swing by KK av and one at the mouth of the Menominee river that are still in place and working. At least I know the one by KK was working. Never had the sailboat up the Milwaukee so I don't know if the one by the confluence is operational or stuck closed.

So, anyone know when and why they painted the smiley face on the Marcus theater roof black? Used to be bright red.
Thanks for the info. The swing bridges are interesting. I would enjoy videoing industrial history landmarks around Milwaukee.

Another is the old Solvay Coke factory which is adjacent to the RR bridge on KK river. Its posted no trespassing. I can't imagine they would give a darn about drone flights. From what I read its overrun with riffraf and homeless that have pillaged the area for years.
Google Maps
Solvay Coke, Milwaukee, WI

Would be fun to get down there when the weather gets nicer.

Another is the old Solvay Coke factory which is adjacent to the RR bridge on KK river. Its posted no trespassing. I can't imagine they would give a darn about drone flights. From what I read its overrun with riffraf and homeless that have pillaged the area for years.
Google Maps
Solvay Coke, Milwaukee, WI

Would be fun to get down there when the weather gets nicer.
Looks interesting. I need to spend time doing some research.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl