Android Tablets

I know there are lots of discussions on what tablets could/should be used.
Curious if everyone could summarize the Pros & Cons of your Android Tablet.
Seems like there are always a few key areas of concern
  • Does it actually work with the DJI Pilot app?
  • How well does it keep up with streaming video
  • How does it perform in the sun
Personally I am most interested in the sun performance, I currently have/use Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 7" which does ok keeping up with the video but is extremely hard to see in the sun.

I have seen the Nvidia shield being fairly popular but I think I read somewhere it does not do well in the sun?

Also curious if anyone has a sun shield that works well with your tablet?
Seems like all the shields I have seen are for iPads

Thanks
I use a Nexus 7 (2013) and think it does quite well in both the sun as well in terms of performance. I'd give it a 7.5/10 overall performance rating, and considering its price ($100 used) I give it a 9/10 in value. I'm curious to try out a Shield and compare the two side by side - may have to do that to see if it's worth the premium price tag.

I use a Nexus 7 (2013) and think it does quite well in both the sun as well in terms of performance. I'd give it a 7.5/10 overall performance rating, and considering its price ($100 used) I give it a 9/10 in value. I'm curious to try out a Shield and compare the two side by side - may have to do that to see if it's worth the premium price tag.
Yeah I struggled w/ the decision btwn a nexus 7 and shield, but inevitably bought the shield based on the SD card slot and hdmi out (easy to view videos/photos in the field, easy to get the video up on an HD tv). If not for those 2 things, I'd have definitely gone w/ a nexus 7 simply because they're so cheap and perform nicely.

Man everybody who loves the Shield - I don't get it. I bought one a couple of weeks ago and tried it out for a week (before I had my P3P) and really didn't like it. It had serious lag issues after using it for a while. The whole screen became unresponsive. I ended up sending it back, not trusting it for something like FPV. Size was great though. Maybe I should try again. I have a spare Note 3 I can use from work - I think my S3 phone won't be fast enough and it's only a 720p screen. Maybe my old Nexus 10 will work too.

Man everybody who loves the Shield - I don't get it. I bought one a couple of weeks ago and tried it out for a week (before I had my P3P) and really didn't like it. It had serious lag issues after using it for a while. The whole screen became unresponsive. I ended up sending it back, not trusting it for something like FPV. Size was great though. Maybe I should try again. I have a spare Note 3 I can use from work - I think my S3 phone won't be fast enough and it's only a 720p screen. Maybe my old Nexus 10 will work too.

Did you fully update the shield? Did you install Facebook on it?

Strange... There is a lot of Inspire pilots, using the Shield. Maybe you have got something problem with updating. I bought my Shield and before I update it to Lollipop, I perform a factory reset, then I update it to Lollipop, and after that, I again perform a factory reset (cleans the memory blocks). Then I install all the apps

This makes me want to check out the shield. I really miss that form factor (child broke n7 2013). I'll see after I test the Nexus 9 tomorrow and get a verdict on it's performance.

This makes me want to check out the shield. I really miss that form factor (child broke n7 2013). I'll see after I test the Nexus 9 tomorrow and get a verdict on it's performance.
The 9 will be at least as good. Promise.

Reactions: ctp
The 9 will be at least as good. Promise.

The Nexus 9 will be perfect for letting other people watch over my shoulder and see the video while I fly

Nexus 7 2013 is a cheap alternative, but nvidia Tegra k1 chipset is the best for Lightbridge now. Both nexus 9 and nvidia shield will work fine.

I use a Galaxy Tab S 8.4" Super Amoled it's brighter than any ipad and is octo-core (8) cpu and i believe the gpu is hexacore (6). It may be the brightest tab available till the xperia z4 drops which is boasting it's the brightest...
the tab s is plenty bright imo i just wish it would get as bright as my note 4 which murders sunlight

I use the same tablet and it works great! Only drawback, and this applies to pretty much all phones/tablets with or without anti-glare and/or sunscreen, is sunlight. I finally gave up and got some goggles, for the protection of my eyes only (or course :p) and they helped a lot...

Nexus 7 2013 is a cheap alternative, but nvidia Tegra k1 chipset is the best for Lightbridge now. Both nexus 9 and nvidia shield will work fine.
Yeah they should both work well. I like the shield for the LTE for streaming. If I ever want goggles it also has hdmi out. The streaming is what sold me on it.

Guys dont get upset when you try to stream via wifi and you have terrible lightbridge range. I turned hotspot on my S5 and connected the shield to it to stream. Only got out a little over 1000' and encountered severe signal drop outs. As soon as I put my sim in the shield and steamed via att LTE it was long range city and Smooth as silk.

Reactions: envisionabove
Nexus 7 2013 WiFi, OC to 1.89 Ghz CPU and 490 Mhz GPU, can't go wrong...Using 4.3 (JSS15R).
Price 100$ US !

Where the best place to buy a Nexus 7? It's $165 on Amazon (new). I see them on eBay for less, but they are refurbs.
I'm also considering a Shield, but if I can find a $100 Nexus 7 2013 I'd take it.

First flight today with the Nexus 9. It was an overcast day, but even with the brightness on max I had to duck into the shade of some trees to get a good view on the screen. Any recommendations for anti-glare screen protectors for the n9?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl