Android Tablets

I tried Samsung note 3, shield and tab s 8.4.
Personally, I liked the tab S 8.4. It is the lightest and brightest of all the tablets.
Since the screen is only a 1/4 inch from the edge, it is by far the smallest and lightest. 10.3oz
With 8 cores and 2GB memory,( ram not storage ) there is no delay whatsoever.
The shield is nice but it is big and heavy. The extra few oz makes a big difference if you do a whole day of flying. ( if and when we get those FREAKING batteries ).
Only drawback is no HDMI simultaneously. But you can hook up to HDMI goggles or TV with miracast ( screen mirroring ). I tried it with a Actiontec SBWD-DCAAEO and it works perfectly fine.
I even tried it with a avermedia c875 live gamer portable to record the screen with no problem.
This avoid crashing the Tablet with screen recording software.
The bonus is the avermedia can live stream also, and on top of all that, NO EXTRA WIRE TO THE TX, so you can put it down and walk around without strangling yourself.
By the way, the resolution on the screen is 2560 x 1600 to boot.
You still need anti-glare and hood in direct sunlight unless you invest in a pair of goggle.
I tried goggle but I found without knowing what is around you when you are flying, it could be dangerous unless you have a spotter. The street price is about $300 US or $350 CDN.

Personally, I liked the tab S 8.4. It is the lightest and brightest of all the tablets.
Since the screen is only a 1/4 inch from the edge, it is by far the smallest and lightest. 10.3oz
The shield is nice but it is big and heavy. The extra few oz makes a big difference if you do a whole day of flying. ( if and when we get those FREAKING batteries ).
Only drawback is no HDMI simultaneously. But you can hook up to HDMI goggles or TV with miracast ( screen mirroring ). I tried it with a Actiontec SBWD-DCAAEO and it works perfectly fine.
I even tried it with a avermedia c875 live gamer portable to record the screen with no problem.
The bonus is the avermedia can live stream also, and on top of all that, NO EXTRA WIRE TO THE TX, so you can put it down and walk around without strangling yourself.
You still need anti-glare and hood in direct sunlight unless you invest in a pair of goggle.
I tried goggle but I found without knowing what is around you when you are flying, it could be dangerous unless you have a spotter. The street price is about $300 US or $350 CDN.
its actually 3GB of memory.....and yes this thing rocks for fpv !!
BTW running this custom rom......ui is quick and tablet remains cool to the touch.....
http://forum.xda-developers.com/gal...om-twdetox-v1-01-knox-free-odex-free-t3099627

Thanks for the link. I will try that rom after the new smell of my tablet S 8.4 fades.
Is that what you are running on the P3 or Inspire 1.
I was doing a side by side with the 2 today in windy weather (20 gusting to 40). The P3 is not bad but the Inspire is faster and a lot more stable due to size, weight and Centre of gravity.

Does the tab s have 4g LTE? If not no thanks.

Yes it does, but in Canada, you have to get in from Bell. I think Verizon has it in the states.
I have never seen unlocked LTE version sold here in Canada.

Yes you can. Tethered with blue tooth for maps etc. Using WiFi will affect the TX for sure unless you use the 5.4 GHz band.
I will not streamed live with my DATA PLAN anyway. Up north here, data is expensive. I will chew through my 3G in a day with 4K video.

Reactions: ru55ian
Yes you can. Tethered with blue tooth for maps etc. Using WiFi will affect the TX for sure unless you use the 5.4 GHz band.
I will not streamed live with my DATA PLAN anyway. Up north here, data is expensive. I will chew through my 3G in a day with 4K video.
It's not for sure, it's possible. DJI lists the Tx covering all frequencies covering the 14 channels of 2.4ghz but DJI also lists 8 "channels" the Tx can use. On a side note, there are no 13 - 20 channels on 2.4ghz.

There are a lot of factors. If the tablet is unlocked, there is a possibility. But no always.
Usually, different carriers uses different frequency bands. You may fall back on to 3G or worst go into roaming mode.
I know for sure T-Mobile and AT&T are not compatible in the States.

Cant you tether it to your phone? Why would you need to buy a tablet with LTE?
You can if you enjoy extreme lightbridge interference. The wifi messes up the signal terribly bad. From over 11,000' down to just over 1000' before the signal got very weak and choppy.

The tab s LTE is $500 and only 16gb. The shield LTE is $400 and 32gb. The tegra k1 is a very powerful cpu/get. They are both great and the super amoled screen is without a doubt the best on the market. It's a give and take toss a coin decision really.

Tcope,
If you use 2.4 even on a different channel, It will not stop the Phantom, but it will definitely decrease the range. Adjacent channel separation in real world is not perfect and the power to signal is not a linear function. So to compete with a signal that is 5 ft away from your TX when your bird is 1 mile down the field requires a lot of JUICE.

For those using a Galaxy Note 3/4 or Edge how are you keeping it in the holder? In landscape mode the clamp is too big.

I bought my N7 on Amazon for around $170 new. Works great and that's pretty cheap for a tablet. I'm not buying any Android device used. It's probably crappy just like buying a Used Dell computer. I'm more of an Apple fan but I can get the N7 for $170 new and can add Velcro and stuff to it to add a sunshade. I would never do that to my iPad. Does anyone have a source for N7 sunshades? I've been searching but coming up with nothing in eBay and Amazon. They say their sunshades work but the feedback says different for the N7

Tcope,
If you use 2.4 even on a different channel, It will not stop the Phantom, but it will definitely decrease the range. Adjacent channel separation in real world is not perfect and the power to signal is not a linear function.

Adjacent channels do bleed. However, it seems to me that DJI made up channel numbers (13-20) and are using 8 out of the 14 2.4GHz channels. Their specs showing the Tx covering this entire frequency. So it would appear that it's currently unknown which frequencies the DJI Tx uses.You could be flying on channel 1 and your WiFi connection is using channel 11. Then there should not be any bleed between channels. In that case, no interference. But you could also be on channels 1 and 2 which would have some interference. So I'd not say it _will_ interfere, I'd say it _could_.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues