Alternative batteries?

I can't see how inserting wires first works. I just tried it a couple of minutes ago. The wire coming out of the bird is slightly too short to allow one to connect the two. Also my understanding is that you don't want to be jiggling the bird while it is going through start up, you want it still and level. Once it has completed startup you should get the door closed etc.

All in all so far I think this will work. Hope the increase in flight time is worth the hassle of making it fit !

GfFlyer said:
I can't see how inserting wires first works. I just tried it a couple of minutes ago. The wire coming out of the bird is slightly too short to allow one to connect the two. Also my understanding is that you don't want to be jiggling the bird while it is going through start up, you want it still and level. Once it has completed startup you should get the door closed etc.

All in all so far I think this will work. Hope the increase in flight time is worth the hassle of making it fit !

Not sure I understand your post?
With the stock 2200 battery I always put it in wires first.
I'm not sure why that wouldnt work with the 4000mah battery.

I tried...'again'...to order a 4000mah from Hobbyking and everytime I try to check out I get an Error: Please check out again.

Here are pics of the mod to get the Multistar 4000 batteries in and connectors inside. Really not too bad. I don't see how anyone can get them in wires first, but it does fit, barely with taking some material off the bottom of the battery compartment and the small circle I dremel'd out to allow the connectors to fit inside.

Hope to fly tomorrow and see about the increase in flight time. I would tonight, but its raining :D

Attachments

• 20140808_162924.jpg
    20140808_162924.jpg
    514.2 KB · Views: 451
dtviewer said:
GfFlyer said:

Not sure I understand your post?
With the stock 2200 battery I always put it in wires first.
I'm not sure why that wouldnt work with the 4000mah battery.

I tried...'again'...to order a 4000mah from Hobbyking and everytime I try to check out I get an Error: Please check out again.

Maybe clear your cache and make sure you're choosing us. I ordered on Tuesday night with standard shipping and the came today

GfFlyer said:
Maybe clear your cache and make sure you're choosing us. I ordered on Tuesday night with standard shipping and the came today
For a second there, I thought you were from Hobby King ("us") but then I realized that you meant from the USA warehouse. :lol:

Now that the battery bay has been modded, how's the increased flight time?

GfFlyer said:
Here are pics of the mod to get the Multistar 4000 batteries in and connectors inside. Really not too bad. I don't see how anyone can get them in wires first, but it does fit, barely with taking some material off the bottom of the battery compartment and the small circle I dremel'd out to allow the connectors to fit inside.

Hope to fly tomorrow and see about the increase in flight time. I would tonight, but its raining :D

Flew with the new batteries today. Informally it looks like I got about 15 minutes out of the battery. This was with pretty aggressive flying the whole time. My stock batteries give me about 10 minutes with the same type of flying. These results are based on landing as soon as possible after the first set of battery flashes. It still has plenty of juice at this time. I am having some issue understanding the battery warning sequence and will post that question in general discussion.

Pretty happy overall with the results !

ordered one to the uk on friday, looking forward to trying this out, but i really do not like that massive hole next to the battery door, i have heard enough people online saying these fit easily dont want to have to cut or dill if at all possible :-(

in the past i ordered the official dji batteries, with the walkera g-2d was only getting about 6 minutes maximum, without gimbal around 7-9mins i would think. Really want extra flight time

Exactly. I can handle trimming the back of the door or such.. but the massive hole - I hope I don't have to. I ordered two thinking they "just fit" :s

chaghal said:
ordered one to the uk on friday, looking forward to trying this out, but i really do not like that massive hole next to the battery door, i have heard enough people online saying these fit easily dont want to have to cut or dill if at all possible :-(

in the past i ordered the official dji batteries, with the walkera g-2d was only getting about 6 minutes maximum, without gimbal around 7-9mins i would think. Really want extra flight time

Post 296 and post 306 show what needs to be done to fit them:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthre ... 25&page=20

I picked up a Common sense 2700mah battery from Amain and 1st charge I got @13min to the 1st level warning(all stock settings) brought it down street level and got about another 2 min before the 2nd level. I was flying w/o a camera. I was pretty impressed.

dtviewer said:
chaghal said:

The way I did it actually works pretty well. You can even really see the dremel'd hole in the upper corner. I also have now put a velcro strap on the ensure the battery door stays closed. Overall fairly hapy with it. I will say I'd like to find a bit smaller profile battery that would give similar performance

do you have to change any settings when using higher capacity batteries?

GfFlyer said:
dtviewer said:
chaghal said:

The way I did it actually works pretty well. You can even really see the dremel'd hole in the upper corner. I also have now put a velcro strap on the ensure the battery door stays closed. Overall fairly hapy with it. I will say I'd like to find a bit smaller profile battery that would give similar performance

No offense to any... honest.

But I'm not happy with either of these solutions. I foolishly have purchased 2 of these (with the understanding they would just fit).. I'm hoping we can all still come up with a solution which doesn't involve holes or visible velcro, or visible wires coming out of the door.

I'm looking forward to the challenge.

iMax.jpg

Here's the iMax kit with the DJI cable at far right .. I use it in my multimeter now...
The bare wired one on the left - Can't remember what was on it - I obviously had an alternate use for it ..
Might have been a DC type plug ??
Mandrake

Interesting. It looks like the Imax XT60 connector cable in near the top of the center row of cables. I didn't get one of those with mine (from Hobby King US). I wrote back to them and said it was missing (it seemed obvious that it was needed since their batteries come that way). Then I saw someone else write (somewhere) that Hobby King didn't include the XT60 cable for some strange reason.

On another site that sells an XT60 cable they said they were out of stock. That may explain why Hobby King didn't include one, or alternatively why they are out of stock. I'll make my own if I can find XT60 connectors easily.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl