Alternative batteries?

To get the maximum flying time out of it you could change the alarm settings as you now have a greater 'reserve' but you'll get a better flight time with no changes at all compared to the stock battery - its up to the individual really.

I got 20 minutes out of the Multistar 4000mAh (no gimbal) but it looks like it could go for more. The red lights started flashing at the 13 mins mark and I let it hover for an additional 7 mins before I forced it to land. It could have hover for another 2-5 mins but I decided to land it. I checked the battery voltage and it still has 3.7Volts on each cell.

SocalQuad said:
I got 20 minutes out of the Multistar 4000mAh (no gimbal) but it looks like it could go for more. The red lights started flashing at the 13 mins mark and I let it hover for an additional 7 mins before I forced it to land. It could have hover for another 2-5 mins but I decided to land it. I checked the battery voltage and it still has 3.7Volts on each cell.
What is the minimum cell voltage that would indicate that it was "done" (for this flight anyway)?

So what's the latest on the batteries? Serious mods to the battery door to get the 4000mAh battery? Any luck finding other better batteries?

slothead said:
SocalQuad said:
What is the minimum cell voltage that would indicate that it was "done" (for this flight anyway)?

I say about 3.4-3.5 V

iamon said:
So what's the latest on the batteries? Serious mods to the battery door to get the 4000mAh battery? Any luck finding other better batteries?

Its a 5 min job and I wouldn't call it a serious mod.

Fitted my new battery last night. As mentioned about 5 minutes filing the lower edge of the door and it fit. You'd never know it was any different to standard. Only thing is you need to install the battery leads first.

I have a modded FC40 well you could say it in no ways resembles an FC40 now. The electronics have been transfered into a Phantom 2 shell, the props are P2, it can now take either the original sized batteries x2 or the P2 intelligent battery. Hanging underneath is a goodluckbuy 2axis gimbal with GoPro. No adjustments have been done to any values to compensate for the P2 props.

The other day I purchased 2 x TATTU 2700mah batteries. using a stop watch, the first test was with the original phantom batteries. I was able to fly for 16 minutes before I was forced to land due to depleted power (after 2nd Battery warning). With the new batteries I had an interesting flight, at the 11 minute mark I had a crash and the gimbal came off, so after 2 minutes I was in the air again, less gimbal. to my surprise the bird kept flying until it reached 25minutes on the stop watch. With the two new batteries on their first flight I had a total flight time of 23 minutes.

I am going out now to do another test with the new and old batteries with everything attached and this time it will be just hovering in place. I am hoping to achieve flight times with the new batteries in excess of 18 minutes, here's hoping.

I have just redone the flight tests and am happy with the results.

The flights with 2 original batteries are consistently in the 16 minute range.

the time for the new TATTU 2700mah batties was 22.10 minutes. at about the 20.30 minute mark the first battery warning appeared, after
about 1 minute the second level warning kicked in and I was able to keep the bird in the air for 22.10 minutes.

lostkiwi said:
Fitted my new battery last night. As mentioned about 5 minutes filing the lower edge of the door and it fit. You'd never know it was any different to standard. Only thing is you need to install the battery leads first.

How was flight time compared to stock batteries? Would you recommend them?

dragonash said:
hell, just ordered 1 now.

I was interested in this battery before and enough people say it fits. So may as well give it a shot.

Well, here's one person that KNOWS it DOES NOT fit in a stock FC40.

You will have to shave off about 1.5 mm. just above the door hinge to cram it in and then it is VERY advisable to put the connector outside the door like :- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtHdjawTiRM

Good luck

Pete

deltamike said:
dragonash said:

I was interested in this battery before and enough people say it fits. So may as well give it a shot.

You will have to shave off about 1.5 mm. just above the door hinge to cram it in and then it is VERY advisable to put the connector outside the door like :- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtHdjawTiRM

Good luck

Pete
Agreed about the 1.5mm shaving of the bottom of the door hinge area but no need to connect externally. Connect the leads, push the battery in leads first and shut the door. No problem at all.

No idea DM. I haven't bothered changing anything as yet and also not done a time test. I kind of have the view that its either long enough or not ;-)

deltamike said:
dragonash said:

Good luck
Pete
I thought we all knew that already! The only video I've seen on it reports that it requires 1-2 mm shaving of the bottom of the opening.

slothead said:
deltamike said:
dragonash said:

Good luck
Pete
I thought we all knew that already! The only video I've seen on it reports that it requires 1-2 mm shaving of the bottom of the opening.

I know now :lol:

Somehow I don't like the idea of shoving the leads in first though. The wires connected to the board are going to take an awful lot of bending and possibly strain.

HA! Just found this :-

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=15368

Pete

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl