Alternative batteries?

Bit that bullet! Just ordered the B6AC and 3 Turnigy 3S 4000mAh batteries... And I don't even have my FC40 yet! (They may arrive about the same time - I hope)

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arXq7bHkNqM[/youtube]

slothead said:
I already watched that video Wattage. Was there a specific reason why you posted it?

In case anyone else hadn't seen it. I find the guy's videos to be among the best out there when it comes to FC-40s. Sorry if I offended you.

wattage said:
slothead said:
I already watched that video Wattage. Was there a specific reason why you posted it?

In case anyone else hadn't seen it. I find the guy's videos to be among the best out there when it comes to FC-40s. Sorry if I offended you.
No offense taken at all. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. I think it was good you posted it for the benefit of others.

I received the Turnigy 4000mah yesterday but have not had a chance to do any flight time tests. They charge just fine with the regular DJI charger.

Unfortunately, even though the video claims they fit, they do not. At least not without forcing them in really hard on my FC40 and then its almost impossible to pull them out. I'll have to file down or cut the bottom portion of my battery door frame to have the battery slide in and out easily.

I also have the Mad Dog 2700mah and have gotten about 2 more minutes of flight time with them. They fit easily and work without issues.

All my flight so far have been with the standard Dji battery levels.

I plan to do more extensive tests this weekend with all batteries and levels to get maximum flight times -- just hovering. Should be interesting.

brzez said:
I received the Turnigy 4000mah yesterday but have not had a chance to do any flight time tests. They charge just fine with the regular DJI charger.

Unfortunately, even though the video claims they fit, they do not. At least not without forcing them in really hard on my FC40 and then its almost impossible to pull them out. I'll have to file down or cut the bottom portion of my battery door frame to have the battery slide in and out easily.

This is what concerned me about that battery. I measured and remeasured but just didn't feel comfortable. I've seen a couple videos of people who had to mod their doors by either having a custom 3d printed door or removing the door altogether and using Velcro.

RikTheManc said:
I'm currently using these overlander 2900mah's in my fc40....With a walkera g2d gimbal, gopro, and vision props i get just over 13 mins flight time to my first battery warning light.

Wow, that's good to know! I got a pair of the Overlander 2200MAh batteries and with the same setup (minus the Vision props) I get 8m50s on a full charge. Gonna try the Vision props tomorrow see if they help, and to see if they'll do a way with the crazy jittering effect I was seeing on my footage when climbing/descending.

brzez said:

I also have the Mad Dog 2700mah and have gotten about 2 more minutes of flight time with them. They fit easily and work without issues.

All my flight so far have been with the standard Dji battery levels.

I plan to do more extensive tests this weekend with all batteries and levels to get maximum flight times -- just hovering. Should be interesting.

If you go to Youtube to watch the video the poster explains that a little modification needs to be done to the opening to get the battery to slide in easily.
He also recommends to put the battery in wires first.

wattage said:
RikTheManc said:
I'm currently using these overlander 2900mah's in my fc40....With a walkera g2d gimbal, gopro, and vision props i get just over 13 mins flight time to my first battery warning light.

Wow, that's good to know! I got a pair of the Overlander 2200MAh batteries and with the same setup (minus the Vision props) I get 8m50s on a full charge. Gonna try the Vision props tomorrow see if they help, and to see if they'll do a way with the crazy jittering effect I was seeing on my footage when climbing/descending.
I didn't realize that the Vision props were different from the FC40 props (because I don't have my FC40 yet). What are the differences?

slothead said:
wattage said:
RikTheManc said:

I didn't realize that the Vision props were different from the FC40 props (because I don't have my FC40 yet). What are the differences?

Im not sure of all the differences but I do know the Vision Props are longer than the stock FC40 props.
I do know that I get about 1:30 to 2 minutes extra flight time with the vision props.

The vision props are 9443's.

Well I purchased 2 of the 4000mAh multistar batteries. I'm in Canada so I'm not sure how long it'll take to have then sent. I'm a little nervous about the 10c discharge rate, and also having to modify the battery door (some reports)... but 8 minutes fly time with my original battery is just simply not enough, and I'm ready to take the risk lol. I'll letchya all know how they work.

mikey said:
Well I purchased 2 of the 4000mAh multistar batteries. I'm in Canada so I'm not sure how long it'll take to have then sent. I'm a little nervous about the 10c discharge rate, and also having to modify the battery door (some reports)... but 8 minutes fly time with my original battery is just simply not enough, and I'm ready to take the risk lol. I'll letchya all know how they work.

I returned mine.
no way in hell does it fit without modding the front... and even if you did mod the front, I still dont think it would fit

slothead said:

The Vision props are wider, pitched differently, less flexible and an inch longer than the stock FC-40 ones. They give me an extra minute or so in the air and much better handling when weighted down with a gimbal/camera.

That FC-40's taking its time eh? :roll:

dragonash said:
mikey said:

I returned mine.
no way in hell does it fit without modding the front... and even if you did mod the front, I still dont think it would fit

Yeah the fits right in is a stretch. I am working to get them to fit. I have had to take down some of the plastic on the bottom of the battery door. The other thing is I am dremeling out a circle on the left upper side of the body where it meets the door to be able to slide the wiring back in. I am just a bout done. I did get it in there. The door will barely stay latched. I am going to do a bit more shaping to see if I can't get the door to latch firmly. If not I'll get a small piece of velcro to keep the door shut.

I'll post pictures once I'm complete

GfFlyer said:
dragonash said:
mikey said:

I returned mine.

Yeah the fits right in is a stretch. I am working to get them to fit. I have had to take down some of the plastic on the bottom of the battery door. The other thing is I am dremeling out a circle on the left upper side of the body where it meets the door to be able to slide the wiring back in. I am just a bout done. I did get it in there. The door will barely stay latched. I am going to do a bit more shaping to see if I can't get the door to latch firmly. If not I'll get a small piece of velcro to keep the door shut.

I'll post pictures once I'm complete

The guy on Youtube said that he puts his in wires first...another user then chimed in Thanking him and saying that that worked for him also.

I got my Imax B6 charger and three Multistar/Turnigy 4.0 (4000mAh) batteries and I cannot figure out how to charge them. I suppose it is possible that I didn't get the entire set of cables with the charger - I really don't know. But I am also curious if the FC40 charger will charge these batteries (regardless of their double capacity rating). Anybody know?

I do know that the Imax charger is more capable (in terms of control and instrumentation), but with new batteries, I doubt that I'll need that capability immediately (so the DJI charger could possibly work.

slothead said:
I got my Imax B6 charger and three Multistar/Turnigy 4.0 (4000mAh) batteries and I cannot figure out how to charge them. I suppose it is possible that I didn't get the entire set of cables with the charger - I really don't know. But I am also curious if the FC40 charger will charge these batteries (regardless of their double capacity rating). Anybody know?

I do know that the Imax charger is more capable (in terms of control and instrumentation), but with new batteries, I doubt that I'll need that capability immediately (so the DJI charger could possibly work.

According to the YouTube video guy, you can use the stock charger.
He posted: "You can but only at 3 amps,"

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl