Add another fly away to the tally.

Just for my own curiosity did you calibrate your compass before flying? I've got compass errors and seemingly out of control or slightly out of control bird. I chalked both cases up to a bad calibration on my part. I'm more careful how often and where I calibrate my compass. Sorry for loss, really sucks.

Never got a compass error on the ground before putting the thing up in the air. Never happened until I was about 1 min 30 secs in the air, all times that it happened.

That gives further credibility to my theory that something, likely a motor, was drawing excessive current in flight and that was causing the compass errors, rather than the compass being the root cause. Do you have logs for those flights? If so, see if there is a similar voltage drop.

As for losing RC control, that probably was just because it was flying out of range. At 1500ft over a city, that can happen (and honestly, you shouldnt be flying there. More than a million phantoms and similar drones are sold each year, if just one percent of them falls out of the sky at some point, thats >10K phantoms raining down on the people and properties below. Thats just not acceptable).

not sure how initiating the RTH would cause a loss in the RC right away. I did RTH a few weeks, just to get the thing turned around, but it's in atti-mode anyways. Cannot understand the RC loss at such a short distance, when I had been flying 5000 ft in the same area prior. Bottom line is, the RTH didn't matter, because the RC signal loss happened right away.
I didn't say the RTH caused the RC disconnect. I said that RTH in the presence of a compass error can cause a fly away. Doesn't matter if the AC is in ATTI. It also doesn't matter if the RTH was initiated by the pilot or a RC disconnect.

Reactions: FrequentFlyer
Just for my own curiosity did you calibrate your compass before flying? I've got compass errors and seemingly out of control or slightly out of control bird. I chalked both cases up to a bad calibration on my part. I'm more careful how often and where I calibrate my compass. Sorry for loss, really sucks.
yes I did calibrate it same way how I always do.

I didn't say the RTH caused the RC disconnect. I said that RTH in the presence of a compass error can cause a fly away. Doesn't matter if the AC is in ATTI. It also doesn't matter if the RTH was initiated by the pilot or a RC disconnect.
looking at the logs. doesn't even seem like RTH was initiated. I believe I lost the RC before anyways. It happened so fast. Can't really remember exactly.

looking at the logs. doesn't even seem like RTH was initiated. I believe I lost the RC before anyways. It happened so fast. Can't really remember exactly.
I thought you had said that you initiated RTH. Doesn't matter, after 3 seconds of the RC disconnect the AC will initiate RTH. This sounds a lot like @Krum04 's flight. In that flight the cause of that RC disconnect is unknown but the resultant RTH coming after the compass error caused the fly away.

I thought you had said that you initiated RTH. Doesn't matter, after 3 seconds of the RC disconnect the AC will initiate RTH. This sounds a lot like @Krum04 's flight. In that flight the cause of that RC disconnect is unknown but the resultant RTH coming after the compass error caused the fly away.
What was the end result of his fly away with DJI?

I really can't say for sure if the RTH was done with my tablet or RC. Can't remember. Like I said, it happened so fast.

Reactions: johnrobbfl
That gives further credibility to my theory that something, likely a motor, was drawing excessive current in flight and that was causing the compass errors, rather than the compass being the root cause. Do you have logs for those flights? If so, see if there is a similar voltage drop.

As for losing RC control, that probably was just because it was flying out of range. At 1500ft over a city, that can happen (and honestly, you shouldnt be flying there. More than a million phantoms and similar drones are sold each year, if just one percent of them falls out of the sky at some point, thats >10K phantoms raining down on the people and properties below. Thats just not acceptable).
I have all the logs. I will look at them tomorrow. As far as where I fly- I don't live in the sticks although I wish I did sometimes. Usually I just fly around water. Yesterday, I took my drone to my friends house to get some photos of his house and neighborhood. Also, to take aerial photos of him and his son in the yard. 1,200 feet is not a lot of distance, especially with the LOS I had. I avoided the crowded areas as well. I have flown in my city of Stamford, CT which is much bigger than where I was at yesterday. I can easily get 5000 feet with much more interference, and with a lot of trees.

My other compass errors midflight in Michigan a few weeks ago was flying over a lake. I think that there was something wrong from the get go with this thing. I also have a P3S and have flown it in all the same places and never once got a compass error. Not sure what DJI will decide. I did buy the thing off of ebay as an open box item, so I'm not even sure that the warranty applies. If I'm totally out for what I paid for the thing, I will probably get a drone from one of their competitors to be honest. I had been eyeing the Yuneec Typhoon H, as well as the Autel ones. Just hoping for the best solution.

If your P3S has been totally reliable but your unknown bought used has caused you trouble how can you be sure it is DJI's fault? Could have been a crash repair or anything. A used Yuneec or Autel could give you just as much trouble.

If your P3S has been totally reliable but your unknown bought used has caused you trouble how can you be sure it is DJI's fault? Could have been a crash repair or anything. A used Yuneec or Autel could give you just as much trouble.
It's all about customer service. I can't say for myself, Dji's doesn't exactly have a stellar reputation.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

It's all about customer service. I can't say for myself, Dji's doesn't exactly have a stellar reputation.

autel has the best customer service and a better product

Did they copy it better than DJI make it then?
is a lot different than dji might look like it but if you have it in your hands you see how different it really is

I have flown mine out 2.54 miles no problem

Reading the reviews, everyone is saying that camera is better on the Autel. Man, I have to say, I'm still waiting on Dji's response on my case. Depends on what happens, but if I'm not satisfied with the result, I could join the pumpkin army.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl