400 ft Height Restrictions

***Sigh*** another thread about safety. Follow the FAA guidelines they issued. Stay below 400, join the AMA, stay away from peoples homes (don't hover someone's backyard & fly at 150 feet at least), stay within LOS (1500 feet), call if you fly closer than 5 miles to an airport, avoid being directly over crowds. ***Sigh***. This is getting old.

DrJoe said:
***Sigh*** another thread about safety. Follow the FAA guidelines they issued. Stay below 400, join the AMA, stay away from peoples homes (don't hover someone's backyard & fly at 150 feet at least), stay within LOS (1500 feet), call if you fly closer than 5 miles to an airport, avoid being directly over crowds. ***Sigh***. This is getting old.

Seems so simple, yet we get numerous reminders on a daily basis that it is still apparently too complicated for so many people.

DrJoe said:

I didn't read any post before your Joe, but you do know most of what you posted does not apply to hobbyist flyers. It does however apply to all commercial flyers.

flyNfrank said:
DrJoe said:

I didn't read any post before your Joe, but you do know most of what you posted does not apply to hobbyist flyers. It does however apply to all commercial flyers.
Actually, nearly all of these things apply to hobbyist flyers. Some hobbyist flyers just think no rules apply to them ;)

flyNfrank said:
DrJoe said:

Well, most of it does apply, and some of it amounts to best practices.

http://knowbeforeyoufly.org/

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XF5Q9JvBhxM[/youtube]

Couchie said:
Now I have seen my local law(which is stupid of the faa laws) fly within 100 foot of my house from above(they know it's illegal but they did it anyway)
Don't get me started on cops and how distracted they are while driving(it's stupid)

What law are they violating by flying 100' above your house, assuming of course that it is indeed 100'?

.... and what does their driving have to do with flying over your house?

I'm a little lost... or I'm just misdirected on the hijack....

The one that the faa states they are to fly above 600 feet (the pilot knew that he wasn't supposed to be that low either as its a safety risk for not just them but for anyone on the ground if they make a mistake)

The driving part is just that the cops in my area are just plain stupid drivers

flyNfrank said:
DrJoe said:

I'm not sure that's true. Section 336 of Public Law 112-95 states, among other things, that to be legal to fly as a model aircraft (as opposed to commercial operation).....

(2) the aircraft is operated in accordance with a community based
set of safety guidelines and within the programming
of a nationwide community-based organization;

Sounds like we're obligated, by the FAA, to adhere to the AMA's flight recommendations for all model aircraft even if we're not a member. Given that, it probably behooves all of us to review all of the AMA's guidelines. They have significant rules regarding both FPV operations and aerial photography, among other things.

The FAA is now exhorting local law enforcement agencies to address illegal drone operations. My guess is the broad reach of section 336 is the going to be the basis of any enforcement action.

MacCool said:
I'm not sure that's true. Section 336 of Public Law 112-95 states, among other things, that to be legal to fly as a model aircraft (as opposed to commercial operation).....

(2) the aircraft is operated in accordance with a community based
set of safety guidelines and within the programming
of a nationwide community-based organization;

Sounds like we're obligated, by the FAA, to adhere to the AMA's flight recommendations for all model aircraft even if we're not a member. Given that, it probably behooves all of us to review all of the AMA's guidelines. They have significant rules regarding both FPV operations and aerial photography, among other things.

It's a bit more nuanced than simply "following" the AMA's Safety Code. Both the FAA and AMA hold the opinion that you must actually be a member of the AMA in order to be operating "within the programming."

There are no rules pertaining to aerial photography directly. AMA does not cover commercial flying (and neither does Section 336) so commercial AP is out. However, AP for hobby/recreation is fine. In addition, AMA allows FPV with 2 conditions: 1) it is done within VLOS, 2) a spotter is used. I would not consider these rising to the point of being "significant rules."

Take a look at the Conference Committee notes at the top of this page:

http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/HR658_020112.pdf

Pay special attention to the last part where it is defined what a "Community Based Organization" means within the cited Section (336).

Also, here is the actual AMA Safety Code for those who are interested:

http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/105.pdf

SilentAV8R said:
It's a bit more nuanced than simply "following" the AMA's Safety Code. Both the FAA and AMA hold the opinion that you must actually be a member of the AMA in order to be operating "within the programming."

There are no rules pertaining to aerial photography directly.

Yeah. The AMA's opinion is that everyone flying a model aircraft of any kind should buy a membership. Amazing. Who would have thought?

As to the FAA, I doubt that that's an enforceable opinion. It's like saying that all gun owners should be a member of the NRA.

MacCool said:
SilentAV8R said:

There are no rules pertaining to aerial photography directly.

Yeah. The AMA's opinion is that everyone flying a model aircraft of any kind should buy a membership. Amazing. Who would have thought?

As to the FAA, I doubt that that's an enforceable opinion. It's like saying that all gun owners should be a member of the NRA.

Actually, that is not AMA's opinion. But it is their opinion that if you want to fly "within their programming" then you must be a member. If you choose not to do that, fine with them. But what you cannot do is simply say your are flying within their programming without being a member.

The intent of Congress with Section 336 is that in order to operate under it you must belong to a Community Based Organization (CBO). Right now AMA is the only one. There may be others in the future and people will be able to choose. But for those of you who choose not to operate under Section 336 there is still AC 91-57 and I am certain that the FAA will include a section on Non-CBO/Section 336 hobby flying in the coming sUAS Rule.

So you are not forced to do anything. But whatever you do decide to do should comply with the clear intent of the law.

Prylar Bek said:
Thanks. It was the first time I hit that altitude and just wanted to get up few more feet The air was very clear here in SoCal and so I got up high enough to see to Catalina Island and the ocean. Spectacular. I'll try it again tomorrow. Once plugged in it was easy to change the height restriction, but frankly 400ft is best for me in most situations
Where in SoCal are you?

I live approximately an hour south of Winnipeg (YWG) Aiport so planes are not flying low altitudes when they fly overhead. However we do have crop spraying airplanes in the summer.

I have never exceeded 400 feet and frankly don't see the need for a higher altitude (other than to say I did it). It is possible to get all the beautiful video or still pictures I need without exceeding the 400 foot limit.

When I am flying and I hear a crop duster, I immediately land because I do not want to get in its' way or cause an accident.

I figure if I can have this much fun why should I screw it up for everybody else by doing something foolish that brings on more government regulation. I think we should be able to regulate ourselves, but unfortunately the acts of fools have consequences for all of us........

The driving part is just that the cops in my area are just plain stupid drivers
No texting and driving.jpg

No texting and driving!!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl