2312 Motor issue - UPDATE FROM DJI!!!

Interesting. did you happen to note the part number on the sticker?
I would be interested to see if it matches the P/N on my originals. (above)

CapnBob said:
PRE V2.1 = Four beeps on startup, Fwd LED,s go red BEFORE starting motors.

V2.1 = NO beeps on startup, Fwd LEDs go red ONLY AFTER starting motors

If this is the indicator, then I have v2.1 firmware in my ESCs. I bought my P2V+ in May 2014 when they first came out. It is my understanding from threads way back in May that P2V+'s had this LED and beep patterns. There were many questions back then if the pattern was normal cause the P2V's of that era had four beeps and the newly released +'s had no beeps. I had a P2V back in April of 2014 and it beeped 4 times but the front reds didn't show up until motor start.

CapnBob said:
Interesting. did you happen to note the part number on the sticker?
I would be interested to see if it matches the P/N on my originals. (above)

No, duh. Wrote down the last four and then lost the paper! Well, I will see what DJI says. Very interesting. I had only one flyaway with it and a few strange lights the last outing. I think it was the older (non 2.1) ESC's My guess. They must know something is wrong, as they issued a RMA ASAP. Oh well. I would have bought the Inspire to wait this out, but as you know, they have their own, more serious issues!

CapnBob said:
PRE V2.1 = Four beeps on startup, Fwd LED,s go red BEFORE starting motors.

V2.1 = NO beeps on startup, Fwd LEDs go red ONLY AFTER starting motors

This is what I am going by, which means my P2 has V2.1 ESCs. Have been flying this past week with no problems. Even broke my personal distance record this morning :D

Well, That makes sense to me from what I've found.
So to be clear, you put in the new 2312 motors with the original ESCs that exhibit the V2.1 Startup behavior?
If so, have you popped the top and checked for any heating issues?

This is what I did, and I have had no problems so far.

I've read just about every post here and on the dji, djiguys, and rcgroups forums as well. There is so much conflicting info, that I'm afraid no conclusions can be drawn. I believe dji is in such disarray that there are probably more combinations of hardware, software, and firmware, not to mention their "use up the stuff in the stockroom" mentality. No traceability whatsoever. As I said, I believe all we can do is to get educated, make a choice, and cross our fingers. "Ya pays yer money, and ya takes yer chances."

Ivan said:
Have you all seen this post:
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=32903

Not a single person there has reported that they have the beeps. And they have all sort of ESCs, unmarked, v2.0, v2.1

That's why I said that was not a good indicator of what you have inside...

True. Ya think these people back in China at DJI are just laughing their asses off over all of this? Maybe they're trying to drive us crazy on purpose? Like 'Chinese Water Torture"?

Official Correspondence from DJI regarding the ESC issue. I just received the update to my ticket I opened on Jan 6 this morning.

I have obscured and changed personal information in the ticket.

TLDR - ESC's with no version number requires for you to send in your unit for repair.

Anthony C. (DJI Technology)
Jan 20, 11:59

Dear Tweezer,

Thank you for contacting DJI.

The issues that you're describing require for you to send in your unit for repair.

In order to be issued an RMA (Return Merchandise Authorization) number, we encourage you to call our support staff via phone to discuss your options.

You may contact us Monday-Friday, 9:00am-5:00pm PST at 818-235-0789.

Thank you for choosing DJI,
"The Future of Possible!”

DJI Customer Service Lead North America

Anthony C.
Jan 9, 13:10

Tweezer,

Thank you for your email. Here are DJI North America, we are only aware of the most updated manual (version 1.6) which is available to download here: http://download.dji-innovations.com/dow ... 1.6_en.pdf

Where did this page/image come from? Please check the version of the manual you were provided and see if it is a later number. We need more information to proceed with assistance.

Jan 7, 03:45

Attached is the manual page that states the incompatibility.

Attachment(s)
manual.jpeg

Admin
Admin (DJI Technology)
Jan 6, 18:37

Products: Phantom 2 Vision+
Name: Tweezer
Email: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Dealers: Amazon.com
Tel: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Subject: Vision+ 3.0 ESC
Message: I just purchased my Phantom 2 Vision+ version 3.0. I have been following the forums and have noticed there may be an issue with the ESC's and motor combination of my unit. Since I have the new 3.0 version, I have the upgraded 2312 motors. However, when I look at my ESC's, there are no version numbers on the QR code sticker. The upgrade manual states that no version number on the ESC means it is not compatible with the 2312 motors. The ESC needs to say 2.0 and ultimately 2.1. What do I need to do in this situation. I really don't want to have an issue when I am flying around.

Thanks, Tweezer

DJI Technology, LLC.
Admin

so it took them from the 9th to 20th to respond after you sent them their own service bulletin. ?

GSSP said:
OK here is my V3, purchased November 24, 2014, 20+ cold weather flights, NO Version number, 2.0 ESCs, I gently lifted all wires off the MOSFETs and had some mild melting of every wire that laid flat on the MOSFETs:

I STRONGLY RECOMMEND EVERY V3 BE OPENED AND WIRES LIFTED OFF THE MOSFETs

Is there any safe material that be placed between the ESC and the wires to provide no possibility of them lying on the MOSFETs?

QuadCopper said:
Is there any safe material that be placed between the ESC and the wires to provide no possibility of them lying on the MOSFETs?

Sure. Head on down to your R/C hobby shop and pick up some silicone fuel tubing. You can unsolder the wires from the ESC and slip the tubing over them, or you can slit it lengthwise with an X-acto and slip it over lengthwise. There are multiple sizes, pick whichever suits your installation. Would be superb insulation.

MacCool said:
QuadCopper said:

Sure. Head on down to your R/C hobby shop and pick up some silicone fuel tubing. You can unsolder the wires from the ESC and slip the tubing over them, or you can slit it lengthwise with an X-acto and slip it over lengthwise. There are multiple sizes, pick whichever suits your installation. Would be superb insulation.

Is silicone fuel tubing the same thing as 'heat shrink'? I have some of that (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FI ... UTF8&psc=1) I haven't opened my Phantom (will tonight) but I would rather not desolder for the paranoia of warranty issues. So I would probably try the slicing of the tubing.

QuadCopper said:
Is silicone fuel tubing the same thing as 'heat shrink'? I have some of that (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FI ... UTF8&psc=1) I haven't opened my Phantom (will tonight) but I would rather not desolder for the paranoia of warranty issues. So I would probably try the slicing of the tubing.

No. Heat shrink isn't very heat resistant. In fact, heat shrink tubing is what coats the three lead out of the 2312 motor now. Silicone fuel tubing is cheap, and silicone is very heat resistant.

http://shop.dubro.com/c/aircraft_fuel-accessories

t355_e78ed1fc7ce6cb376797261a21a1f69a.jpg

A link some where more trusty on where to buy. Like amazon or similar

MacCool said:
QuadCopper said:

No. Heat shrink isn't very heat resistant. In fact, heat shrink tubing is what coats the three lead out of the 2312 motor now. Silicone fuel tubing is cheap, and silicone is very heat resistant.

http://shop.dubro.com/c/aircraft_fuel-accessories

t355_e78ed1fc7ce6cb376797261a21a1f69a.jpg

Ah ok... I see :) Thanks!

Eltrochaphantom said:
A link some where more trusty on where to buy. Like amazon or similar

Here is 3 feet of tubing on amazon for only $5! And Amazon Prime :) I think I'll just spend $5 and use this stuff... incompatible ESC/motors or not.

http://www.amazon.com/Great-Planes-Stan ... 001BHI3V4/

Tweezer said:
Official Correspondence from DJI regarding the ESC issue. I just received the update to my ticket I opened on Jan 6 this morning.

I have obscured and changed personal information in the ticket.

TLDR - ESC's with no version number requires for you to send in your unit for repair.

Jan 20, 11:59

Dear Tweezer,

Thank you for contacting DJI.

The issues that you're describing require for you to send in your unit for repair.

In order to be issued an RMA (Return Merchandise Authorization) number, we encourage you to call our support staff via phone to discuss your options.

You may contact us Monday-Friday, 9:00am-5:00pm PST at 818-235-0789.

Thank you for choosing DJI,
"The Future of Possible!”

Admin

looks like i need make a phone call , i really was hoping i wouldn't have to, but, this seems pretty cut and dry. and tweezer you purchased yours 6 weeks after i did,
i can't believe the discrepancies in parts used. ( i have vented holes in my wi fi module)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor