2312 Motor issue - UPDATE FROM DJI!!!

Reaction score
Ok

So I emailed 5 times... and made a complaint and finally got a response, 2-3 weeks later!!

DJI are saying........ <drum roll> use ESC 2.1 which has firmware v4.06 to rectify the issue of mosfets/wire insulation burning etc etc
You can find 2.1 next to the QR... Also everyone who's been using ESC 2.0 based on the "v2" written in gold, that is not the proper v2.0... The writing in gold is the hardware version...The part code written next to the QR code is the software version... so v2.0 next to the QR means ESC 2.0 and that has firmware 4.02
v2.1 next to the QR means 2.1 is version of software and firmware is 4.06. The righting in gold is irrelevant.

This is what we suspected a few weeks back but it is good DJI are saying it.

My only concern is one guy on DJI Forum said he got his back from DJI with 2.1/4.06 and he still had the issue; However he seems to be only case of someone with 2.1/4.06 running into troubles... and we don't know all the details around his issue.. so perhaps it was related to something else.

I am more than happy to spend the money and get 4x ESC 2.1 and be a guinni pig. If it crashes... well DJI can RMA it seems they told me to do it :)

MY ONLY PROBLEM!!!! Where the hell do you buy ESC 2.1 from ?? Everyone I have spoken to has no clue about it or has not even heard about it.
If anyone knows of a company selling it please let me know !!! It doesn't matter if they are in USA, EU or anywhere really.

Thanks heaps

justin00 said:
Ok

So I emailed 5 times... and made a complaint and finally got a response, 2-3 weeks later!!

DJI are saying........ <drum roll> use ESC 2.1 which has firmware v4.06 to rectify the issue of mosfets/wire insulation burning etc etc
You can find 2.1 next to the QR... Also everyone who's been using ESC 2.0 based on the "v2" written in gold, that is not the proper v2.0... The writing in gold is the hardware version...The part code written next to the QR code is the software version... so v2.0 next to the QR means ESC 2.0 and that has firmware 4.02
v2.1 next to the QR means 2.1 is version of software and firmware is 4.06. The righting in gold is irrelevant.

My only concern is one guy on DJI Forum said he got his back from DJI with 2.1/4.06 and he still had the issue; However he seems to be only case of someone with 2.1/4.06 running into troubles... and we don't know all the details around his issue.. so perhaps it was related to something else.

I am more than happy to spend the money and get 4x ESC 2.1 and be a guinni pig. If it crashes... well DJI can RMA it seems they told me to do it :)

MY ONLY PROBLEM!!!! Where the hell do you buy ESC 2.1 from ?? Everyone I have spoken to has no clue about it or has not even heard about it.
If anyone knows of a company selling it please let me know !!! It doesn't matter if they are in USA, EU or anywhere really.

Thanks heaps

Hi there,

Great that you got an answer from DJI!

For us newbies, where do we look for the 2.1 number? On the box? On the Phantom?

so will it be labelled v2.1 on the packaging? I'm still not trusting them yet

It doesn't void warranty by opening the lid does it?

The thread link above shows that people with V3's have no numbers printed on the ESC at all?

rhysvins said:
It doesn't void warranty by opening the lid does it?

The thread link above shows that people with V3's have no numbers printed on the ESC at all?

You can open up the lid without worry.

Takes 2 minutes to do so.

There are 2 numbers (in theory on the ESC) the gold lettering on the circuit board and the printed label with QR code.
The newer ESC should have 2.1 printed next to QR code.

justin00 said:
Ok

Thanks heaps

Good information, I am glad they have come clean on this at last, hopefully its the full fix.

Thank DJI FOR WHAT ? They had said esc v2 , now it v2 with different firmware versions ? This really crappy for us who have upgraded thinking we has the right esc. By the time I get done soldering and resoldering I won't have any insulation anyway.

robinb said:
Good information, I am glad they have come clean on this at last, hopefully its the full fix.

In my opinion they have not come clean on this at all!! What about people who bought the new v3 and have no markings on the ESC sticker?! Should they order new replacement ESCs and solder them on their own?!
Is everybody who is now buying a new Phantom 2 needing to open the shell immediately and check for ESC ver?!

Nathan Carter said:
In my opinion they have not come clean on this at all!! What about people who bought the new v3 and have no markings on the ESC sticker?! Should they order new replacement ESCs and solder them on their own?!
Is everybody who is now buying a new Phantom 2 needing to open the shell immediately and check for ESC ver?!

I totally agree. Sounds like DJI is just putting out information that is helpful in general, but does nothing to address this problem. They didn't exactly say "Send it back if you have the incorrect combination because we f**ked up when we built it at the factory."

I spoke to helipal last week and they said thry dont sell 2.1.... but maybe thry got no clue wat they are actually sellinh!

justin00 said:
I spoke to helipal last week and they said thry dont sell 2.1.... but maybe thry got no clue wat they are actually sellinh!

Though their picture shows this version.

robinb said:
justin00 said:

Though their picture shows this version.

Yep!

dji-pv-07-v2-big.jpg

I found another possible explanation that they can't fix with a simple ESC firmware upgrade. I ordered 4 of the 2312 motors and 3 of the motors had bad insulation right out of the package. I'm talking small little splits in the insulation. The lead on one motor had what appeared to be a tiny shiny spot on the insulation and on closer inspection with a magnifying glass I found that it was a hole thru the insulation. That led to checking the leads on all of the motors with the magnifying glass where I found leads on 2 more motors with holes in the insulation. Overtime with the heating from the current these would grow in size likely leading to shorting even if everything else was perfect. So I decided to just write off the 2312's as garbage and ordered a set of T-Motors 2214 V3's, they might be very expensive but I know that they are rock solid.

Why didn't you return them ? I have already soldered mine in , so I'm screwed. No idea if it's a esc issue or insulation problem. Not even sure what esc to get ? How would we know if has the right firmware ? My esc say v2 but what firmware is it ?

Thanks for the share and leg work Justin00!

DJI doing a part change to something that is not available at any dealer anywhere is plenty of admission to wrong doing. Now they need to Right that Wrong with all that had to go through any horrifying experience.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4