You know what really grinds my gears?

Most by-standers are curious and some excited about the drone. A very few have been concerned and one suggested it should be shot out of the sky. Admittedly, that's a time to hold back feelings. I asked that person "Have you ever seen a drone before"? Then I say I'm a photographer and show him still and video images of places I've photographed (see www.schundlerphoto.com). At that point most settle down and ask with interest and curiosity "What are you photographing now?" I've only met one person who I had to write off as a lost cause. In that case, it was a good time to wrap up and go somewhere else. Life is too short then of but heads with this type of person.

I really understand the answers here, but (speaking for myself) I find these smart aleck answers to be not helpful to the quadcopter cause, and maybe even hurting us.
Okay, that's fair. I also try to take the "better to educate them" approach.

But you're not a guy. It makes a difference.

When some woman in a park looks up at my drone and the first thing out of her mouth is "Ew, that's creepy", she just make a vocal judgement against my character. She didn't even try to hide her bias by complaining about noise or safety or anything else, she just goes directly for a "I think you're doing something nasty" remark, no filters.

"Um, thanks?"

Reactions: Neon Euc
I understood the reference.

New = I don't understand = Must be evil.
"When I call up my brother, I want to talk to a person. I will NEVER leave a 'message' on one of those go*amned computers!!"

That's right kids, answering machines were at first well received.

I guess I'm just lucky, but I can't relate to complaints like this because everyone in my neighbourhood thinks it's cool that I have a drone, and whenever I fly it around my house, my neighbours come out to watch. They all tell me how "awesome" the drone is, and they want me to fly it over their houses so they can see the view of their house on my screen.
Do you go anywhere else? Out in public outside of your area where people don't know you? To a park or a scenic area?

When someone finds out I fly a drone and the first question they ask is... "so you spy on your neighbors?"
I try not to let it show, but it's soooooo annoying!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The question that gets me is "How much was that" it's one of the first questions they ask. I usually say something like "how much was your wife's wedding ring?" or, if you're really interested, you can look it up on Google.

I really don't want to tell a total stranger:

"I've got £1800 of gear with me, please rob me!"

I don't know why people think they have the right to ask that question.

I suppose I should be more subtle and say "I'd prefer not to say" but I find myself blurting out something inappropriate because it winds me up so much.

The only time I wasn't asked was when I was in the USA, I guess us Brits aren't as polite as people think we are!

I've taken it to the USA twice now and I've found a big difference between the USA and the UK.

In the states, I found that nobody paid any attention to me, while in the UK, people are interested, saying they've never seen one, what can it see, etc. and without exception they are very impressed.

It's just that damned first question!

Sent from my SM-G935F using PhantomPilots mobile app

I rather enjoy reading the occasional "smart Alec" comment on here when the intention is only to lighten things up. I only have a problem with the same self-professed "pro's" on here making pretentious comments only meant to belittle other posters. Making an occasional smart *** remark in good fun is quite acceptable IMO.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots
My sentiments also.

I got my first "movie camera" when I was 11 years old in 1959 (yes, I'm 68/9 ish) and have been making "home movies" for 58 years now. I made movies all through high school of our track and cross country meets and our motorcycle camping trips. I took it with me to Viet Nam and made my own personal documentaries. I've always been passionate about videography. In those days, regular 8mm film had to be sent off for developing and you didn't get to see your footage for 10 days. My original Kodak camera has a large fold out key that you would wind (like a clock) and this spring drive advanced the film through the camera. I started with a P3 and now a P4. I started my YouTube channel 7 years ago and have roughly half a million views. The channel is not monetized as I do this exclusively for fun.

Unfortunately I live in a residential neighborhood that is technically outside of the city limits so my next door neighbor (an ex-Marine who thinks he's God) routinely fires off all kinds of weaponry (including automatic weapons) at all hours of the day or night. His kids ride motocross motorcycles back and forth all day on his property next to our bedroom generating about 92 to 96 Db. His 15 year old kid told me the other day that he thought I was "creepy" for filming them in their back yard (as I film sunsets above my own property). They are not reasonable people that can be educated and I just don't fly my P4 at my house anymore.

LMAO have to admit, I didn't see that coming when I got one, but yeah... happened about three times now, and not many people even know I have it (dead of winter here).

My default answer is always "YUP! That's EXACTLY why I got it!"

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
What I don't understand is that at a public event (like say a free outdoor concert at the park), 300 people have their cell phones out and are making (poor quality) videos of the concert. But then they see one quadcopter at the park and it's "OMG, that pervert is filming us!!!!!"
Neighbors Twin curly red head 18 year old daughters sunbathing in the nude and I didn't have a charged battery

Neighbors Twin curly red head 18 year old daughters sunbathing in the nude and I didn't have a charged battery
Perv!!! I hope your going to share the video! hehe

Reactions: Neon Euc
I have been asked why it is called a "Phantom" drone. I explained that it was just the model name but I don't think that it sunk in.

Now I just say it is a P3.

I have been asked why it is called a "Phantom" drone. I explained that it was just the model name but I don't think that it sunk in.

Now I just say it is a P3.

That's an interesting twist...

But I don't know how someone would expect you to answer that! Unless you named it?! Did you? Are you DJI's product namer?!

I'm assuming when he asked what kind of drone I was flying and I said a Phantom Drone he figured it was some sort of Black Ops mission I was on.
.Next model will be the Stealth and then followed up with the Blue thunder

I know... I unusually don't let it bother me, but this dude was extra douchy about it. Eventually he started talking about guns, so I just asked him if he went around shooting people.. I think he got my point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I must be really bad. I have a drone and guns. Yeah yeah I use the drone for target acquisition.

That's an interesting twist...

But I don't know how someone would expect you to answer that! Unless you named it?! Did you? Are you DJI's product namer?!
Yes... I am.

I wanted us to call it the "Phantom of the Opera", but management thought that was too long, axed it down and just called it the "Phantom 4".

As for the Mavic, I first proposed "Stallion" and they couldn't grok why that would be a good name, so I offered "Maveric" as an alternative, and they loved it. Unfortunately, something got messed up in the translation from English to Chinese when the printing runs were done for all the collateral, so "Mavic" it is!

:p

Reactions: jwmcgrath

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TK-62119