You know what really grinds my gears?

What I don't understand is that at a public event (like say a free outdoor concert at the park), 300 people have their cell phones out and are making (poor quality) videos of the concert. But then they see one quadcopter at the park and it's "OMG, that pervert is filming us!!!!!"
I know right. It's hard to go a day without seeing someone snap a selfi or take a picture of their dinner with other people in the background. Something about drones scares people to about the same level as the google glass experiment.

I believe the anonymity and the awareness of presence is a major contributor to such different attitudes.
You don't know who or where the drone operator is but you know you may be breng recorded.
Being in the background of a selfie allows you opportunity to be aware of who is capturing images and also at the same time not aware of it occurring if you're preoccupied and no flash, etc.

Not sure if I made point entirely.

Was typing during jwm's post.
Seems we agree.

Reactions: jwmcgrath
I get that and agree. Funnily enough no one cares about security cameras anymore.

My neighbor was a little sketchy about my phantom's camera asking how clear the images were etc. so I told her the truth, they take great images. I sat her down in my office and showed her some footage above our houses and her attitude changed once she saw that I could care less about taking pictures of her in the back yard and was after sunsets and whatnot. She thinks it's cool now, which is handy since I need her yard to get out to some public open space :)

Speaking of security cams. I have 4 security cameras at my house. I live in a great area, but crime can happen anywhere. I don't care how rich or nice the neighborhood is. Anyways, my neighbors were kind of weird about it at first, until I showed them the display on my phone... their mind was put at ease when they saw that the cams weren't looking into windows or anything.

Yep it's all perception. We are not spying and have zero interest in taking images of people mowing their lawn and your security cameras are pointing at the driveway and porch etc.

I know... I unusually don't let it bother me, but this dude was extra douchy about it. Eventually he started talking about guns, so I just asked him if he went around shooting people.. I think he got my point.
You should say, "well yes, of course I do! What's the best time to catch you and your wife in compromising positions?"

:D

I really understand the answers here, but (speaking for myself) I find these smart aleck answers to be not helpful to the quadcopter cause, and maybe even hurting us.
I think you're taking these humorous "what I'd say" remarks too seriously. Speaking for myself, if/when I actually have such an encounter I expect I'll be like I always am with strangers under most circumstances: Polite, factual, truthful. If they continued, arguing, maybe even harassing, then I'd get more forceful.

My comments here about a fantasy snarky response is just that -- blowing off that steam here, harmlessly, rather than having a confrontation. I strongly suspect that's the case for most of the people having a bit of fun in this thread.

Last edited:
I keep seeing my name spelt wrong but I know Aleck is just another Alexander variant ;)

Unrelated but Alec is a tough name as a kid for ribbing :D
Well, I certainly hope your not a Dumb Alec. That would be especially difficult growing up :D:D:D

Dan cutter, you just made one the most accurate comments I have seen on this excellent website..
cfd315ad91f53af088faa8bf6f617757.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Well, I certainly hope your not a Dumb Alec. That would be especially difficult growing up :D:D:D
I'm 53, I've been called a few names over the years, I'm becoming more cantankerous as I get older prompting even more name calling :D ;)

I'm 53, I've been called a few names over the years, I'm becoming more cantankerous as I get older prompting even more name calling :D ;)
Well, I've got two more years of wear than you, so you can imagine what a cranky oldster I am...

"Get off my lawn!"

Well, I've got two more years of wear than you, so you can imagine what a cranky oldster I am...

"Get off my lawn!"

Wow... I'm 50 and thought I was WAY old getting into this! [emoji12]

Why you kids! I'm 72 and just got into this sport. I love it.
Jim
WA5TEF

That's awesome... can't imagine what tech I'll be trying to wrap my head around in 22yrs!

It's all exponential now... we have computers to make computers, not like the thousands of years before the last 50...

50 and up makes some sense, kids moved off, college paid off, we've got a few $ to burn I guess :D

*wipes brow*
Thanks guys! Here I was thinking that being 56 and playing with helicopters was the beginning of the second childhood....

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
irish_phantom