Why isn't the FPV app with the goggles popular?

Thanks Toph just ordered some goggles :) for the price u really can't go wrong :) it's the app i have a price problem with seems expensive for an app but i guess i'll bend over and hope i don't get shafted lol i'm on android so will have to use the litchi app unless theres another app that will work?
View attachment 47718

I never spend money on apps either, but considering what these apps are capable of, and how much money we spend on other phantom accessories, the prices seem fair on some of the apps. Litchi is awesome for waypoints. I'm sure the goggle mode is great too. Haven't tried that option as I'm on iOS and it's not available yet. Do they have FPV Camera on droid? That's my goggle app and works like a charm.

Which goggles did you spring for?
Let us know how you like goggles!

no they don't seem to i checking something called 3D FPV - DJI Phantom
same goggle's as you they arrive next week

You can use the scroll wheel to go into menu settings. But I'm not sure why anyone would really need to. Best to get settings right before flight. But in the rare event this was necessary, your going to run into this with any goggle setup.
Going to HDMI route doesn't make any sense to me unless someone wants to stream the feed to an external monitor or tv. Seems like an unnecessary expense other wise. Unless there's something I'm missing

I'll have to try the scroll wheel for menu settings. But settings is not necessarily what Im concerned about. For example, (the only thing I can think of at this time) is if I get to 30% battery and it initiates Go Home, I may want to cancel that and go home on my own or fly a bit more. This requires me to cancel the go home on the screen.

Concerning HDMI has to do with screen resolution. IMO, there is definitely a difference between 640x 480 (Old VGA), and 1920x1080. It is easier to see detail and is also easier on the eyes. I prefer the best picture available, but thats just me. I wouldn't want to view Virtual Reality (VR) in 640x480 resolution thats for sure. Still like HDMI and going for it. However, I appreciate hearing your opinion.

No problem! Yes if higher resolution is really important to you and you have the extra cash laying around, HDMI may be the choice for you. You will loose head tilt tracking though, as far as I am aware.

After a handful of goggle flights using the phone/lightning cable/goggle setup, I don't feel at any disadvantage in terms of resolution or detail. Looks awesome with phone and goggles!

You CAN use FPV in the USA, but anything that blocks your eyes (like goggles) are NOT allowed. That started about the same time as the registering in DEC..
Did you just make this up. If there is a such NO GIGGLE law, how do you explain many fpv racing events that are going on now, many are held in FAA airfields and public stadiums. I went to many FPV racing events, without goggles, you can't fly the racer at 60 mph thru loops nor turn on a dime.

i also wear glasses the goggles i bought said if ur near sighted u can adjust the lenses so no need to wear ur glasses
at least that's what i understood at least i hope
or i'll be trying to stuff my glasses in them lol

Both lenses are independently adjustable in focus, so they should do an OK job of correcting near/farsightedness. Astigmatism is not correctable, though.

I mildly to moderately farsighted, and with age (mid 40s), now wear bifocals in some situations (like right now - stupid eyes). I also have some mild astigmatism. I find I am able to use these types of devices reasonably well as long as there are focus adjustments.

Reactions: Dronecrasher
Goggles like HooToo and VR Box are said to accommodate glasses. No first hand experience with that though, and the size of your head and glasses are probably variables to consider too

I with you man. I have the HooToo goggles and use the FPV Camera app with it (with iPhone 6+) and it's incredible. I love the VR mode and being able to tilt the camera by just looking down. And the OSD options are fully customizable. It's an awesome experience to feel like you are in the cockpit of the Phantom. And you don't need HDMI. I too have been surprised not to see more talk about it. I've mentioned it in a couple posts on here but it doesn't seem like many are doing it. And the ones who are, for some reason seem to go the $100 HDMI adapter route with several hundred spent on goggles.

For those who haven't tried it, I definitely recommend giving it a shot. It's a small investment for a way to try a completely new/different experience. I still use my tablet often. But I like having the goggles in my bag as well.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

The ultimate fpv experience is fpv racing. Navigate a racer thru loops at high speed can get anyone hooked instantly. That said, I don't think a phantom has any chance winning a race nor a proper vehical for fpv. The video lag can get the experienced flyer in trouble, let alone an inexperienced drone user. Here is an video from Modaero race event
The couse is in an airport hanger.
The racer in the video is a custom build 210 racer.MultiGP - Pilots - BlackMamba

Reactions: Dronecrasher
Hi guys,

I have been using FPV Camera app for a couple of months now and have got quite familiar with the Mission Planner part of the app. I have over 35 saved missions so far, and as I fly them I like to make 'fine-tuning' alterations to improve the flights & video footage.
I have recently bought the VR Box goggles to have a go at the goggles flying.
Just got one question, which hasnt been mentioned in this thread. I haven't worked out as yet if it is possible to fly a saved mission (in the mission planner part of the app) in the FPV Goggles part of the app. I.e. My goal was to be able to continue using mission planner flights, but instead of on the iPad, be able to use the VR goggles...
Is this possible does anyone know? Would be really cool if it was.
If it is, how do you load up the mission you wanna fly, then switch over to FPV Goggles to fly it?
Cheers

It shows $5 according to what I'm seeing
491d6ed60dd2e9f01eed71037af7356f.jpg

Is the $7.99 in addition to the $4.99 for the app itself? So you buy them both at the same time? I've never made an in-app purchased before.

Is the $7.99 in addition to the $4.99 for the app itself? So you buy them both at the same time? I've never made an in-app purchased before.
That's correct. Buy the app first for $4.99 then open the app and tap on FPV Goggles and it'll prompt you to buy it for additional $7.99.

If after you make the in-app purchase and the app still asks you to purchase the goggle option, just open the app, tap on Help then "Restore In-App Purchase".
4b4722528bde49f49180d2d97ebf5528.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Toph
I have two VR goggle sets. I do like the clear screen experience specially when it is unaffected by bright sunlight. However I have stopped using it after 3 times.

It is tedius because here are the steps I do:
1. Put smartphone on RC Controller
2. Check settings
3. Take off
4. Put smartphone onto VR goggle
5. Fly (8 mins)
5.1 sometimes I take off the goggle because i don't feel safe or want to visually check that I am not flying over a hill or building and worry the signal will be blocked.
5.2 Fly back
6. Take off goggle
7. Put onto RC holder
8. Land

4,6 alone probably waste me 1.5mins of flight time. So I am too lazy these days.

Reactions: Hemar174
Not sure about that. I only paid for the goggle portion of FPV Cam. I use litchi for mission planning
Exactly. They nickel and dime you to death. No flight log. Put another quarter. Another feature. Is another quarter forget it. I will use goggles only with this app. Mission planner with litchi and screen decoder with litchi since I use iOS. All other flights. Go app. And also. Vertical studios for object tracking.

Hi guys,

I have been using FPV Camera app for a couple of months now and have got quite familiar with the Mission Planner part of the app. I have over 35 saved missions so far, and as I fly them I like to make 'fine-tuning' alterations to improve the flights & video footage.
I have recently bought the VR Box goggles to have a go at the goggles flying.
Just got one question, which hasnt been mentioned in this thread. I haven't worked out as yet if it is possible to fly a saved mission (in the mission planner part of the app) in the FPV Goggles part of the app. I.e. My goal was to be able to continue using mission planner flights, but instead of on the iPad, be able to use the VR goggles...
Is this possible does anyone know? Would be really cool if it was.
If it is, how do you load up the mission you wanna fly, then switch over to FPV Goggles to fly it?
Cheers
I'm unaware of any VR headset big enough to fit an iPad or even iPad mini. You may open (sync from iCloud if created by iPad) a mission on your iPhone as usual. Once you upload and start the mission, you may quit Mission Planner and open FPV Goggles to watch your mission flight from goggles.

However, Auto-Tilt and other controls (such as Resume, Pause) under Fly tab are disabled, since all these controls are managed by the app. You may use left wheel to control camera tilting though.

iTunes_MP1.jpg

I here u unclebob but for the price of the kit i feel its worth the experience until i get bored with it
is there a "Y" cable to plug both the phone (goggles) and a tablet into or will the app not run on both hmmm maybe mirror to the tablet
sounds like its getting complicated lol :eek::)

I here u unclebob but for the price of the kit i feel its worth the experience until i get bored with it
is there a "Y" cable to plug both the phone (goggles) and a tablet into or will the app not run on both hmmm maybe mirror to the tablet
sounds like its getting complicated lol :eek::)

It's not complicated. You don't need both. It's one or the other

Reactions: Tony Cowan

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnndyManuka