Why isn't the FPV app with the goggles popular?

So, I assume this will work for the P3S also. You just connect to the phone via WiFi vs Lightning? And, you'd miss the ability to 'click' on the screen with the controller wheel. I can fly now without touching the screen, so not a deal breaker there. If I need to touch the screen, I could hover for a sec, slide out of the HooToos, press away, slide back in and be off again.

Sorry, Honey, I'm busy this weekend.

I would think so as long as you choose an app that works ok the Standard. FPV Camera does not. But there may be one that does. I'd dig around in the App Store and read the descriptions to see if there is one that specifies compatibility with the P3S

The comment early on in this thread was that this wasn't talked about very much. It could be that not everyone is an apple product user. I myself use Android and Litchi and am going all out for the Headplay goggles with HDMI when they are back in stock. That could be some of the reason. I'm just sayin... and enjoy your VR Flying.

now litchi its compatible whit whit the P3S........ and in android have the VR option to split the screen..
i am using a VR box goggles, litchi, and a Note 4 whit my phantom 3 Adv.

So, I assume this will work for the P3S also. You just connect to the phone via WiFi vs Lightning? And, you'd miss the ability to 'click' on the screen with the controller wheel. I can fly now without touching the screen, so not a deal breaker there. If I need to touch the screen, I could hover for a sec, slide out of the HooToos, press away, slide back in and be off again.

Sorry, Honey, I'm busy this weekend.
Upcoming FPV Camera v3.0 (currently under beta testing) will support Phantom 4, Phantom 3 (Pro/Adv/Standard/4K) and Inspire 1 (X3/X5/X5R). You may sign up beta testing at fpvbooster.com to test drive it.

now litchi its compatible whit whit the P3S........ and in android have the VR option to split the screen..
i am using a VR box goggles, litchi, and a Note 4 whit my phantom 3 Adv.

Yes, I understand that works well. I'm just crazy for the HDMI idea, so I have my sites set on the Headplay goggles. It's just me. I did try the HooToo VR Goggles (about $40.00) but there weren't any controls to interact with the phone inside the goggles. When my Samsung Galaxy S4 was in the Goggles, and I had to interact with the screen. I had to take off the goggles, pull out the phone holder aparatus and press the screen where required, push the phone holder back in and put the Goggles back on. These HooToo goggles were not made for the drone flying IMO. May the wind always be at your back.

Upcoming FPV Camera v3.0 (currently under beta testing) will support Phantom 4, Phantom 3 (Pro/Adv/Standard/4K) and Inspire 1 (X3/X5/X5R). You may sign up beta testing at fpvbooster.com.
any chance to see soon a version for Android?

Upcoming FPV Camera v3.0 (currently under beta testing) will support Phantom 4, Phantom 3 (Pro/Adv/Standard/4K) and Inspire 1 (X3/X5/X5R). You may sign up beta testing at fpvbooster.com to test drive it.

Signed up ... Thanks!
Be glad to test this weekend and report back results.

This looks really cool.
I was looking at Atill 3D VR Virtual Reality Headset, it gets really solid reviews.
I usually fly using my Nexus 7 2nd Gen which works well, but the I have always been interested in the VR mode.

Here is my dilemma.
I don't want to spend a lot of money.
I have an iPhone 5S and a Nexus 7 which I can use to fly.

The Nexus 7 is too big for any of the VR headsets.

When I use my iPhone 5s it destroys my battery.

Even if I have no apps running, airplane mode on, location services off, everything off, fresh reboot, and battery at 100%.

My solution would be to be able to use one of my portable external charging power banks.

But I need to be either plugged into that OR my phantom controller.

What would be nice is if I could use something such as this:
Cablematic - USB 2.0 Cable Double Power Injector (2xAM/AH) 1.2m: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories
Cablematic - USB 2.0 Cable Double Power Injector

A-Male connectors are connecting to the PC but only one of them carries data connector (black) while the other just supplies power connector (beige)
Very useful for computers with USB interface does not supply enough power through the USB port to power external devices (such as external hard drives).

Does anyone know if this would work??

Thanks

Yes, I understand that works well. I'm just crazy for the HDMI idea, so I have my sites set on the Headplay goggles. It's just me. I did try the HooToo VR Goggles (about $40.00) but there weren't any controls to interact with the phone inside the goggles. When my Samsung Galaxy S4 was in the Goggles, and I had to interact with the screen. I had to take off the goggles, pull out the phone holder aparatus and press the screen where required, push the phone holder back in and put the Goggles back on. These HooToo goggles were not made for the drone flying IMO. May the wind always be at your back.

You can use the scroll wheel to go into menu settings. But I'm not sure why anyone would really need to. Best to get settings right before flight. But in the rare event this was necessary, your going to run into this with any goggle setup.
Going to HDMI route doesn't make any sense to me unless someone wants to stream the feed to an external monitor or tv. Seems like an unnecessary expense other wise. Unless there's something I'm missing

I bet some people would like to change camera settings for shooting images in goggles mode. The upcoming FPV Camera v3.0 includes full camera settings without DJI GO including:
  • Camera Mode: Auto, Manual
  • Photo Mode: Single, HDR, Burst (3/5/7), AEB (3/5), Timed Shot (2s, 3s, 5s, 7s, 10s, 20s, 30s)
  • EV: -5.0 to +5.0
  • Shutter: 1/8000s to 30s
  • Aperture: f/1.7 to f/22 (X5 camera only)
  • Video Resolution: 720p, 1080p, 2.7K & 4K (24-120 fps)

Very cool. I'm an FPV camera fan and look forward to those options. I mostly use it now just for the experience of goggle flight. But will definitely make use of the new options

You can use the scroll wheel to go into menu settings. But I'm not sure why anyone would really need to. Best to get settings right before flight. But in the rare event this was necessary, your going to run into this with any goggle setup.
Going to HDMI route doesn't make any sense to me unless someone wants to stream the feed to an external monitor or tv. Seems like an unnecessary expense other wise. Unless there's something I'm missing
Well, Toph, one thing you might be missing about the HDMI output is the immediacy of it. It is the raw lightbridge video feed like old-school DJI, and it is nearly and consistantly lag-free, particularly compared to any app-based FPV solution.

I'm not saying one necessarily *needs* that response with a Phantom, like one might with a 250 racer, but it's nice, and it feels really secure. I use a Black Pearl FPV monitor with it, so I haven't had the "goggle" experience yet. I think I'm going to order a VRbox and give it a go.

Well, Toph, one thing you might be missing about the HDMI output is the immediacy of it. It is the raw lightbridge video feed like old-school DJI, and it is nearly and consistantly lag-free, particularly compared to any app-based FPV solution.

I'm not saying one necessarily *needs* that response with a Phantom, like one might with a 250 racer, but it's nice, and it feels really secure. I use a Black Pearl FPV monitor with it, so I haven't had the "goggle" experience yet. I think I'm going to order a VRbox and give it a go.

That makes sense. Faster response time is always good. But I'm not sure I could justify spending another $400+ for an additional split second. Plus you wouldn't have the VR function of tilting where you look, as far as I know.

If I did have HDMI, I'd be really tempted to hook it to a big TV for a flight or 2. Or put an antenna on my roof so I could sit on my sofa and fly using he big screen [emoji4]

Reactions: NRJ and KC4E
That makes sense. Faster response time is always good. But I'm not sure I could justify spending another $400+ for an additional split second. Plus you wouldn't have the VR function of tilting where you look, as far as I know.

If I did have HDMI, I'd be really tempted to hook it to a big TV for a flight or 2. Or put an antenna on my roof so I could sit on my sofa and fly using he big screen [emoji4]
We did a latency test back to Jul/Aug last year, FPV Camera (FPV Goggles) is with about 220ms latency similar to DJI GO (formerly called DJI Pilot) app. The HDMI latency is about 200ms, which is 20ms (0.02 second) faster.

Reactions: Randle and NRJ
We did a latency test back to Jul/Aug last year, FPV Camera (FPV Goggles) is with about 220ms latency similar to DJI GO (formerly called DJI Pilot) app. The HDMI latency is about 200ms, which is 20ms (0.02 second) faster.

Awesome, thanks for the feedback

Sorry, but those latency numbers just do not match my experience.
What mobile device?
What HDMI monitor?
I can assure you that the difference between my Galaxy S5 and the HDMI output module with Black Pearl Monitor is much greater than 20ms.

Sorry, but those latency numbers just do not match my experience.
What mobile device?
What HDMI monitor?
I can assure you that the difference between my Galaxy S5 and the HDMI output module with Black Pearl Monitor is much greater than 20ms.
As I recalled, both DJI Pilot (can't remember the version) and FPV Camera apps were running on the same iPad Air 2 with iOS 8.4. We used Samsung 22" PC monitor to display HDMI video feed. P3 camera was shooting another iPad 3 stopwatch app. We used an iPhone recording video of all 3 screens showing the stopwatch at the same time (1) direct stopwatch on iPad 3 (2) DJI/FPV apps video feed screen on iPad Air 2 (3) Samsung 22" monitor screen.

We then watched the video frame by frame and do some simple math. We found both DJI/FPV apps average 220ms latency vs. HDMI 200ms.

What's your actual latency figures of both Galaxy S5 and HDMI?

Last edited:
Well, maybe my S5 and TabS are just really slow. I'm spreading everything out on the kitchen table today to do some updates (too cold in the shop). I'll try a similar test.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav