Why isn't the FPV app with the goggles popular?

Would be nice to create a mission and then fly it with goggles.
I have a nexus 7 which is to big for any of the goggles

I have an iphone 5s that I might try using if I can figure out a way to charge it while flying. Waiting on a cable from amazon to see if this will be do-able

I Also use hootoo and fpv app. But forgot how I got camera to tilt. I will just mix up apps depending on what shots I want. And what I want to do. Next flight is to use litchi. No goggles. But use their screen recorder.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I have used Quanum goggles with DJI Go. If you do a Quanum set you can throw any phone and app in it. But you have to rig it up a bit. I held my phone in with rubber bands. That was my first experience with goggles. But definitely prefer the VR route with FVP Camera app

I Also use hootoo and fpv app. But forgot how I got camera to tilt. I will just mix up apps depending on what shots I want. And what I want to do. Next flight is to use litchi. No goggles. But use their screen recorder.

Unfortunately Litchi only has screen recorder functionality with iOS and VR capability with Android at the moment, so I use AZ when using DJI Go or litchi with my Nexus 7 2nd Gen

Is your battery dying that quick?
Yup, it is insane. Probably time to upgrade my phone, but I have chargers with me pretty much all the time and portable power banks.
I will have this on Monday - Amazon.com: 30cm USB 2.0 a Power Enhancer Y 1 Female to 2 Male Data Charge Cable Extension Cord: Computers & Accessories
In theory with this I can connect my iphone 5s to the powerbank for power and also to the phantom RC for data and be good to go, we will see what happens.

I have used Quanum goggles with DJI Go. If you do a Quanum set you can throw any phone and app in it. But you have to rig it up a bit. I held my phone in with rubber bands. That was my first experience with goggles. But definitely prefer the VR route with FVP Camera app
Do you know of anyone comparing Litchi's VR Android experience vs FPV Goggles iOS experience?

Troph, Can you let me know your FPV Camera Goggle settings you found work the best? I'm not sure which phone your using. 6 or 6plus. I was curious about the Scaling, Spacing & vertical offset you might be using.

I could not for the life of me get FPV camera to show a live view. After playing with some of the settings it seemed to come to life.

Also what is strange in goggle mode. The map info is only displayed on one side of the screen so when you look through the goggles you get a weird ghost image of it on the right. I wish both sides were identical.

As I recalled, both DJI Pilot (can't remember the version) and FPV Camera apps were running on the same iPad Air 2 with iOS 8.4. We used Samsung 22" PC monitor to display HDMI video feed. P3 camera was shooting another iPad 3 stopwatch app. We used an iPhone recording video of all 3 screens showing the stopwatch at the same time (1) direct stopwatch on iPad 3 (2) DJI/FPV apps video feed screen on iPad Air 2 (3) Samsung 22" monitor screen.

We then watched the video frame by frame and do some simple math. We found both DJI/FPV apps average 220ms latency vs. HDMI 200ms.

What's your actual latency figures of both Galaxy S5 and HDMI?
Thanks for sharing your numbers, PVFlyer.
I did some quick tests with this today, using a similar stopwatch method, except I used GOPRO stills. My numbers aren't all that different than yours.
FW 1.7, RC 1.5.8, DJI GO Android 2.7.0

DJI GO App on Samsung Galaxy Tab S: ~250-270ms latency.
FlySight Black Pearl Monitor, HDMI in from DJI HDMI output module: ~170-180ms latency.

So, where you see a 20ms delta, I see more like a 80-100ms delta. It seems that the difference that I see is coming from both ends. I expect if one was to test a variety of HDMI monitors, one would get a variety of answers. My guess is the Black Pearl likely ranks pretty well on that list as it is a dedicated FPV monitor.

I would be interested in what these numbers are for some of the popular HDMI goggles.

Reactions: Dronecrasher
Troph, Can you let me know your FPV Camera Goggle settings you found work the best? I'm not sure which phone your using. 6 or 6plus. I was curious about the Scaling, Spacing & vertical offset you might be using.

I could not for the life of me get FPV camera to show a live view. After playing with some of the settings it seemed to come to life.

Also what is strange in goggle mode. The map info is only displayed on one side of the screen so when you look through the goggles you get a weird ghost image of it on the right. I wish both sides were identical.

I'm using an iPhone 6+ and haven't changed any of the offsets or scaling. I just go into goggle mode and it's ready to roll. As for the map info, although it's on the left screen, it appears to be right in the middle when I look through my goggles. I haven't noticed the ghost image. Which goggles are you using? Maybe that has something to do with it. I'm using HooToo

Reactions: candubob
I'm using an iPhone 6+ and haven't changed any of the offsets or scaling. I just go into goggle mode and it's ready to roll. As for the map info, although it's on the left screen, it appears to be right in the middle when I look through my goggles. I haven't noticed the ghost image. Which goggles are you using? Maybe that has something to do with it. I'm using HooToo

The same googles as you.

Ok thx.

Regarding the goggles though. I gotta say I was surprised at the huge lack of side by side VR media players. I was thinking when I wasn't using FPV Camera I could check out some netflix/Plex/Hulu on it but nothing really out there that does that.

Regarding the goggles though. I gotta say I was surprised at the huge lack of side by side VR media players. I was thinking when I wasn't using FPV Camera I could check out some netflix/Plex/Hulu on it but nothing really out there that does that.
Try discover. They have lots of shows for your goggles. Nice. Discover VR

Ya not a ton of content for it yet, but it's growing. There is a bunch of stuff on YouTube that's pretty cool. Some of the Cardboard apps are cool too!

Worth to read Headset Considerations section (copy-and-paste the text below) in fpvbooster.com. Aspheric Lens is an important factor for FPV Camera app and FPV experience.

Different people have different iPhone and eye problems, such as short-sightedness, farsightedness, presbyopia, astigmatism or combination of several. There is really NO "the best" headset for everybody. You may consider the following factors.

• iPhone Size: Headset requires big enough to fit your iPhone.

• Aspheric Lens: Due to serious distortion of spherical lens at 4 corners, we suggest to use aspheric lens headset. FPV Goggles is optimized for aspheric lens headset.

• Adjustable Focal and Pupil Distance: Different people have different focal and pupil distance in conjunction with different size iPhone. Different people might have different eye problems. Headset is necessary to adjust both focal and pupil distance, as shown below.

• Fit Your Glasses: If you wear glasses, some headsets allow you wearing glasses fitting the headsets.

• Magnetic Button: FPV Goggles does NOT require any magnetic button on VR headset, while all the camera controls and settings are done by remote controller with Touchless UI.

• Heat: Some headsets have closure compartment, and it might cause overheating your iPhone in hot summer.

IMG_0936_800.jpg

Last edited:
Good thread.

Just ordered a set of VR box goggles, got them for £12 delivered with a remote as well.

Just got to wait for them to come.

Thanks Toph just ordered some goggles :) for the price u really can't go wrong :) it's the app i have a price problem with seems expensive for an app but i guess i'll bend over and hope i don't get shafted lol i'm on android so will have to use the litchi app unless theres another app that will work?
20160315_175422.jpg

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav