Where to fly - Orange County, Southern California

Top of the world in Laguna. Lots of mountain bikers, open area and relative easy shots to get on some on the downhill mountain bike sections. Check out my footage @kevinsstagram

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
well in that case...top of the world Irvine next to Mariner's Church, and there's another top of world spot next to UNI High

well then Dana point

From the marina is fine. Avoid the top of the point. It's a conservation area and has a few no UAV signs.

hello all noob here just got a p3s and live in cypress has anyone that lives in the area tried to contact los alamitos or think its even possible to fly here locally

Did a day-trip a week before Christmas from Orange Co. up to the Mojave Desert to fly the cliffs at Red Rock Canyon State Park.

Captured by my DJI Phantom 4 in 4K resolution.

My other videos are on my YouTube channel via the following link:
http://rebrand.ly/pacificdronepilots

Hey, everyone...I'm trying to build up my subscriber base on YouTube, please subscribe. I would really appreciate it...and you'll be gifted with more awesome aerial videos! :)

hello all noob here just got a p3s and live in cypress has anyone that lives in the area tried to contact los alamitos or think its even possible to fly here locally

Best place I know near Alamitos is El Dorado park. They have a dedicated flying area for planes and drones. You must have AMA membership with you to fly there and park entry fee is 6 bucks but you can get a year pass for $35 over 50 or a bit more if your younger.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using PhantomPilots mobile app

View attachment 64216 Yup close, but far enough . :)

I wouldn't do it. When I taxi aircraft I can hear some aircraft on approach reporting to tower that they saw a drone. Funny thing, it causes them to have to fill out paperwork with the airport authority and sometimes the FSDO. Either way, that spot on the north end of John Wayne is almost perfectly in line with the approach path.

Last edited:

Hey, I am about to receive my P3S by this weekend. I am based out of Irvine and I was also looking for a suitable place for my maiden flight. Let me know what you find out about places.

Hey, I am about to receive my P3S by this weekend. I am based out of Irvine and I was also looking for a suitable place for my maiden flight. Let me know what you find out about places.
I was told that flying it in Harvard park is not allowed, but flying it in Tustin seems to be ok. Make sure to go to a open field for your first flight and get used to flying it facing you and away from you.

Reactions: upintheair
I was told that flying it in Harvard park is not allowed, but flying it in Tustin seems to be ok. Make sure to go to a open field for your first flight and get used to flying it facing you and away from you.

Where is Tustin? any park? I am pretty new to SoCal, don't know many places around :grimacing:

Where is Tustin? any park? I am pretty new to SoCal, don't know many places around :grimacing:
If you like a wide open area then I recommend blackstar canyon area. Anything past Tustin market place is pretty safe. Also, check out peter's canyon regional park. I called the city, and flying in parks here is a major no unless it's designated. It's supposed to be 5 miles away from an airport, but I think you can fly it on the outskirts of Irvine like in the portola area, just keep it away from people for now and have fun!

Reactions: upintheair
I am based out of Irvine and I was also looking for a suitable place for my maiden flight. Let me know what you find out about places.

I recently flew in Irvine at a nice open space that may not be there within a year (due to development). It's in the Beacon Park neighborhood. Here is a link for it on Google Maps.

Here's the video I shot there ...

I recently flew in Irvine at a nice open space that may not be there within a year (due to development). It's in the Beacon Park neighborhood. Here is a link for it on Google Maps.

Here's the video I shot there ...

Funny you should mention this location. I recently saw someone flying a phantom over Irvine blvd and the new pedestrian bridge there. I was driving down Irvine and spotted it. That wasn't you was it ? [emoji6]

Funny you should mention this location. I recently saw someone flying a phantom over Irvine blvd and the new pedestrian bridge there. I was driving down Irvine and spotted it. That wasn't you was it ? [emoji6]
I've only flew there once and that was over a month ago, and I stayed over the field, videoing my car. Other folks go there. I've seen a video of a guy flying both an Inspire and an Mavic at this location.

I've only flew there once and that was over a month ago, and I stayed over the field, videoing my car. Other folks go there. I've seen a video of a guy flying both an Inspire and an Mavic at this location.

I'm just messing with you. I live in Woodbury so maybe I'll test out your spot Friday if the rain stops

Reactions: SoCalDude
Did a day-trip a week before Christmas from Orange Co. up to the Mojave Desert to fly the cliffs at Red Rock Canyon State Park.

Captured by my DJI Phantom 4 in 4K resolution.

My other videos are on my YouTube channel via the following link:
http://rebrand.ly/pacificdronepilots

Hey, everyone...I'm trying to build up my subscriber base on YouTube, please subscribe. I would really appreciate it...and you'll be gifted with more awesome aerial videos! :)

Hey, I've been thinking about that spot and may try it sometime. :)

Personally, I think the polarizer you used was a bit too much as it seem to darken the sky far too much like a ink blot with P4's wide angle lens in video. My sky video panos look pretty bad with the polarizer so I leave it off now and use a grad. Color on my monitor looked a bit greenish too.
Panorama-10-FS.jpg

I've shot stills there, but no drone work yet. Would be a good place to try autonomous apps too if the wind is agreeable as it gets pretty gusty in the afternoon. Most I've seen is a couple of cars at a time there, and the ranger twice who just waves from his pickup in the summertime when it's too hot to get out of it.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl