Where to fly - Orange County, Southern California

Part 2 of my Sunset Aquatic Marina flyover in Huntington Beach ...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: XFlite
@SoCalDude - on your first flight back in September 26, which part of santiago canyon is that? By the 241? Or the other side of irvine park?

@SoCalDude - on your first flight back in September 26, which part of santiago canyon is that? By the 241? Or the other side of irvine park?

Just east of Irvine Lake, at the Black Star Canyon trail head...

VplrJSt.jpg

mMpkdz7.jpg

The HB Pier is always a good video opportunity ...

Here's my Point Vicente Lighthouse flight on Saturday ...

Here's my Point Vicente Lighthouse flight on Saturday ...

Great video. I was watching your Youtube channel last night. Nice work!

Reactions: SoCalDude

Is it legal to fly out there? I've flown out by Peters canyon before and had a few helicopters show up after I already packed up Wasn't above 300ft. But had me thinking if someone had been bothered.

Is it legal to fly out there?
There was a fire ranger guy there in an official parks pickup truck. I asked him before flying and he said, "I can't say yes and I can't say no" and recommended that I launch at a specific location at the end of the parking area (where there were no cars). So I flew that day. He drove over later and was watching me fly and was intrigued by the P4. He asked a lot of questions and said he wouldn't mind getting into drones himself.

Not quite Orange Co., but I drove up to the Hollywood sign from the OC yesterday :p ...

@SoCalDude is all over place..LoL....nice! I'd like to hit up the spots you've been to, especially the Hollywood sign...that is nice footage.

I see your an AMA member....is there an advantage to being one vs not being one? Do you fly at AMA fields as well?

Lucky you, OC pilots. Unlike my county, the Orange County Code or Ordinances does not seem to prohibit or limit drone flights in Orange County parks and beaches, yet. So be cool you OC pilots. Fly responsibly lest you cause the sky to fall on the rest of us.

Last edited:
Lucky you, OC pilots. Unlike my county, the Orange County Code or Ordinances does not seem to prohibit or limit drone flights in Orange County parks and beaches, yet. So be cool you OC pilots. Fly responsibly lest the sky falls.

Any good parks in OC?

@SoCalDude is all over place..LoL....nice! I'd like to hit up the spots you've been to, especially the Hollywood sign...that is nice footage.
Thanks, @regdawg! I'm just a drone pilot looking good photo/video opportunities! :cool:

I see your an AMA member....is there an advantage to being one vs not being one? Do you fly at AMA fields as well?
Two advantages that I enjoy...
  1. My "practice airfield" requires all pilots be members of the "Academy of Model Aeronautics".
  2. Insurance (and plenty of it)...
    • Liability Coverage for the Operation of Model Aircraft, Boats, Cars, and Rockets
    • $2,500,000 Comprehensive General Liability Protection for model activities for members, clubs, site owners, and sponsors
    • $25,000 Accident/Medical Coverage for members
    • $10,000 Maximum Accidental Death Coverage for members
    • $1,000 Fire, Theft, and Vandalism Coverage for members
I carry (and display) a badge/ID holder when I fly, showing my FAA registration card, my AMA card, and a Costa Mesa city permit (although it's sandwiched between the other two cards). When folks approach me as I'm flying, and I tell them that I'm legit and they see my cards/IDs, they are really appreciative and I can see that they know that I am responsible (at least I appear to be!) LOL!

Lucky you, OC pilots. Unlike my county, the Orange County Code or Ordinances does not seem to prohibit or limit drone flights in Orange County parks and beaches, yet. So be cool you OC pilots. Fly responsibly lest you cause the sky to fall on the rest of us.
Just because the O.C. may allow park flying, doesn't mean it's legal. Many municipalities prohibit RC vehicles in city-owned parks. It's up to the pilot to do the research ahead of time.

Any good parks in OC?
Define "good"?

Do you want somewhere to practice?
Do you want somewhere that has points-of-interest?
Do you want a place that is not crowded?
Do you want a place that does not require local club membership or AMA membership?

I'm going to Tehachapi Loop tomorrow. One of my favorite shoots, capturing trains looping over themselves in a canyon. Anybody want to join us? I'll be at the monument at 11am, Saturday morning. Sorry for the late notice. :D

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic