Where to Fly in Western North Carolina (Brevard area)

Reaction score
I have a P4P and would like to get some good landscape footage in Western North Carolina, preferably in the Brevard area. The more I read about where it is legal to fly the more confused I become. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Hello Wayne. I live not too far from you (Haywood County, Waynesville area) and there are lots of places to fly (beautiful places) all around. I'm not intimately familiar with Brevard (Cascade Lake was one of my FAV places on the planet) but you have some gorgeous area all around you that you should be able to get some amazing images around.

You have to keep in mind you have KAVL (Asheville Regional) just about in your back yard.

To further complicate it you have the BlueRidge Parkway right over your head there and ALL of the BRP is No Fly Zone. The Rangers up there are well versed and know the rules so I wouldn't even try circumventing them.

Good luck and SAFE Flights neighbor.

Reactions: Eryxx
Hello Wayne. I live not too far from you (Haywood County, Waynesville area) and there are lots of places to fly (beautiful places) all around. I'm not intimately familiar with Brevard (Cascade Lake was one of my FAV places on the planet) but you have some gorgeous area all around you that you should be able to get some amazing images around.

You have to keep in mind you have KAVL (Asheville Regional) just about in your back yard.

To further complicate it you have the BlueRidge Parkway right over your head there and ALL of the BRP is No Fly Zone. The Rangers up there are well versed and know the rules so I wouldn't even try circumventing them.

Good luck and SAFE Flights neighbor.
Thank you so much for the reply and the information. I actually live in Greenwood, SC, but we spend a lot of time (or as mush as possible) in the Western North Carolina area. Used to camp a lot a Moonshine Creek ( not too far from Waynesville). Any suggestions you have in the Waynesville area would also be very helpful. Thanks for the tip about the Parkway. I certainly want to fly within the rules we are governed by. I might no like all of them, but I will obey them.

Thank you so much for the reply and the information. I actually live in Greenwood, SC, but we spend a lot of time (or as mush as possible) in the Western North Carolina area. Used to camp a lot a Moonshine Creek ( not too far from Waynesville). Any suggestions you have in the Waynesville area would also be very helpful. Thanks for the tip about the Parkway. I certainly want to fly within the rules we are governed by. I might no like all of them, but I will obey them.

To be honest the only places that I know of you need to be careful in Waynesville are any "Sensitive" buildings. Haywood Regional Medical Center (Hospital), Child Protective Services (old Walmart plaza across from Lowes), Courthouse, and The Justice Center. Our area is very drone friendly so long as you abide by AMA guidelines and don't try to fly around and from the areas I've listed above. Also if you get up high somewhere on Balsam Mountain do realize you're directly in the flight path of MAMA (heli MediVac) going from the Western Region back towards KAVL. If she's flying from Sylva (CJ Harris or MedWest Harris, whatever they call it today) towards Haywood Regional or Mission Memorial hospitals she will be coming through low and FAST. In reality if you're not really careful and your flying high on the mountain she could fly almost under you at certain points going along the valley. Always keep your eyes and ears open and get down at the first indication because she's FAST.

Lake Junaluska is GORGEOUS when the trees are in full foliage and in the Fall too. Right now everything looks dull/flat. Just realize your proximity to Haywood Regional when you're there.

Make sure you're registered and it always helps to show your AMA Community Based Guidelines to indicate you might know a thing or two about what you're doing. Our local LEA's know what to look for and ask for so if you get asked they aren't being off base they do know what you need to have with you.

Enjoy WNC and Safe Flights.

To be honest the only places that I know of you need to be careful in Waynesville are any "Sensitive" buildings. Haywood Regional Medical Center (Hospital), Child Protective Services (old Walmart plaza across from Lowes), Courthouse, and The Justice Center. Our area is very drone friendly so long as you abide by AMA guidelines and don't try to fly around and from the areas I've listed above. Also if you get up high somewhere on Balsam Mountain do realize you're directly in the flight path of MAMA (heli MediVac) going from the Western Region back towards KAVL. If she's flying from Sylva (CJ Harris or MedWest Harris, whatever they call it today) towards Haywood Regional or Mission Memorial hospitals she will be coming through low and FAST. In reality if you're not really careful and your flying high on the mountain she could fly almost under you at certain points going along the valley. Always keep your eyes and ears open and get down at the first indication because she's FAST.

Lake Junaluska is GORGEOUS when the trees are in full foliage and in the Fall too. Right now everything looks dull/flat. Just realize your proximity to Haywood Regional when you're there.

Make sure you're registered and it always helps to show your AMA Community Based Guidelines to indicate you might know a thing or two about what you're doing. Our local LEA's know what to look for and ask for so if you get asked they aren't being off base they do know what you need to have with you.

Enjoy WNC and Safe Flights.
Thanks so much. You have been most helpful. I will be glad to share any footage I get while in the area. Hope go get that way soon.

Reactions: BigAl07
For those interested I started a Facebook group for pilots in the area. I live between brevard and Hendersonville. Would love to hear of places to fly and maybe get together and fly together. Please feel free to join up in the group. Looking for members and willing to dare administration duties.

需要安全验证

For those interested I started a Facebook group for pilots in the area. I live between brevard and Hendersonville. Would love to hear of places to fly and maybe get together and fly together. Please feel free to join up in the group. Looking for members and willing to dare administration duties.

需要安全验证
Thank you for doing this. I am sure it will be most helpful and informative.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen