Where are all the LiPo fires?

Reaction score
I have never heard or read about a DJI LiPo Battery fire from any forum members.

Has anyone experienced this? Are the fears overblown?

Yes, they are overblown. However, it's still a possibility and you really don't know when or where it will happen. The few incidents I've heard of happened while charging the batteries.

There was a story on here or the DJI forums of a guy who had a fire while charging his Phantom 2 battery

The only fire I saw was someone who deliberately punctured the battery of you-tube.... these batteries are pretty stable... used to see a lot more fires on CP Helicopters - but then again the crashes of those things were magnificent :)

Reactions: BlackOpsTeamster
A myth? Don't believe it can happen to you? Tell that to these guys...

Lipo Battery Fires are Real

Reactions: BlackOpsTeamster
Before the train veers too far...

We know about the dangers, especially while charging.
That's where people can have the most opportunity to misuse the battery by forcing high C-rate charges, insuffucuent supervision, etc.

Crash damage or deliberate puncturing, etc. don't count.

The OP was asking specifically about DJI batts. and I have not heard of one but I'd think if one did the word would spread fast.

As much as I don't like it, their 'intellignet' interface has seemingly greatly reduced the risk. It will never be zero but the OP asks a good question

Lithium Ion batteries will cook off depending on the circumstances. Mostly when exposed to shock and damage, or used incorrectly. But it does happen, always be aware, I recommend carrying a lithium battery spill kit and a fire extinguisher rated for that sort of fire (I forget what rating it is, if have to go back and look).

Of course I believe it can happen, but anecdotal evidence doesn't tell me much about likelihood or probability, and definitely doesn't drive me to carry a fire extinguisher and a spill kit when I'm deciding what to lug around in my backpack.

If I was losing my forum friends here to LiPo spontaneous combustion events, I might alter my behavior. Truth is, I don't know of anybody experiencing a DJI battery flare-up. I don't know anybody who knows anybody.

And yes, I meant specifically the DJI batteries.

My own anecdotal experience is I've never had any issues. I've owned 7 P1 and 5 P2 batteries and I charge more than a teenage daughter with Daddy's Amex card.

Reactions: Fplvert
Hi folks!

We just launched a LiPo Fire Accident Assessment Free Survey on Google Forms.

LiPo Fire Accident Free Assessment

The purpose of the Assessment is to build and share a free data base to document, analyse and increase awareness of LiPo Fires accidents happening worldwide.

Assessment results, and possibly a final analysis report, will be openly and freely available a few days after the deadline of October 15th, 2015 and published via @DroniRoma main social media channels (Twitter, G+, Instagram).

Whether you are a professional unmanned vehicle operator or an RC hobbyist, help sharing this survey within your fellows and circles if you like this initiative: the more people are involved, the more useful the assessment will be for the RC and professionals community!

All collected data will be anonymous, and completing the assessment is just a matter of less than a couple of minutes.

Thank you in advance for your time and contribution!
- DroniRoma

I think it is pretty unlikely. Yes I think it is overblown and 5 youtube videos as proof that it has happened doesn't change my opinion at all. In fact it proves my point. How many LiPo batteries out of what a million. Criminey!

I know that there are a lot of lipo fires but I haven't seen one with a dji battery since it has the BMS built in, etc.

I have personally never had a fire across all of my lipos (probably have around 40-50 of them at home). Just to play it safe, I usually store and charge them in my fireplace though. It is a bit of a pain since I store them in the fireplace, have to remove them all when charging, and then put them all back in when done. But I guess it's the price to pay to be safe. I could just charge with them in there but in case of fire, I didn't want 40-50 lipos all going up in smoke...

I build and ride electric bikes (endless sphere forums) so most of my lipos are for that hobby.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart